BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Blown Engine/Piston (M2 modded with catted DP & BM3 tune) - Suggestions ?

05-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Blown Engine/Piston (M2 modded with catted DP & BM3 tune) - Suggestions ?

Hi all,

Went on a track day car and went into limp mode twice with no engine light or warnings and at last session car suddenly starting blowing white smoke from exhaust.

Went back in to check and engine oil had splattered all over the engine bay.

Initially thought it was an issue with the turbo as it couldn't spook properly.

Painfully towed it back to my mechanic.

After checking on the car with my mechanic it seems one piston is broken (missing a chunk) and one is scratched. Boost leaked through and pushed oil through the valve cover likely destroying the PCV module along with it.

Engine mods:
VRSF catted DP and charge pipe
K&N filter
AA intercooler
BM3

Any suggests on next steps?

New engine? revert back to stock and try to fight for warranty?

Rebuild?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

How many miles in your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
acl26
Private
Rep

16000ish km or 10000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sorry to hear but this is my nightmare. Taking a modded car to the dealer from a track event nonetheless. I wish you all the luck but I'm assuming your BM3 is going to void warranty and any fighting chance.
Appreciate 1
avex8322.50
      05-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
acl26
Private
Rep

It would definitely make it a hard fight. but then again, legally they also need to prove the aftermarket part or tune caused the failure directly if they want to deny me officially. I think BM3 tunes are fairly well tested and conservative enough to not push the engine that hard. I only ran one session with stage 2 as I forgot the change it back. I haven't seen much posts/people report engine issues on M2 motor. This situation is leaving me dumbfounded. It's not a race car but it should at least hold for a few track days.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl26 View Post

Any suggests on next steps?

New engine? revert back to stock and try to fight for warranty?

Rebuild?
Sorry to say so...but you are on your own on this one. BMW can check pretty easy the engine was once tuned (your vin was probably already red flagged at the last visit with BMW...if your car went there ofcourse). No way you get warranty on this one even if you remove AA intercooler and VRSF. When you tuned your engine you probably knew the risks involved when something dramatic went wrong? Unless your car never went to BMW with the tune on it...then maybe you got a small chance if you remove every non original part. But even so; there may well be a trace of the engine tune in the history.

I would try an search a used engine from a crashed M2 or get yours rebuild (if possible). New engine will be utterly expensive. Sorry to hear you experienced this. These stories are exactly the reason I never mod the engine of my cars.
      05-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Everyone aways references the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and Aftermarket Parts.

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/

I'm not a lawyer but I believe the "intent" the act was to say you don't have buy a BMW oil filter instead of a Fram.

The tune reprogrammed the car. It's not a "part" so not sure how that will work out.

Also not sure if this law applies in CA?

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #8
acl26
Private
Rep

In Canada our equivalent to it is Consumer Protection Acts.

Also not a legal expert, but to my understanding that the product needs to perform as intended for reasonable amount of time and for aftermarket parts it needs to be proven that it caused the damage or malfunction.

But looking at it from the worst side, does anyone now if its possible to order a new M2 engine?

and if a swap needs any coding and such?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

I hate reading this when I just put stage 2+ mhd ... luck ... tell us how it goes ...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian135 View Post
I hate reading this when I just put stage 2+ mhd ... luck ... tell us how it goes ...
Ditto. Stage 2 with BM3.

As far as I know, this is the first blown engine in these parts. Super sorry to hear, OP. If you're comfortable sharing, would love to get more details about how it went down, track temps, distance run and how hard on stage 2 tune, etc. It does sound like the car gave you some feedback with the limp modes, did you happen to throw a code reader on it? I'd love to know any data you got before the final meltdown so the rest of the community could be aware of what to look out for.

Again, condolences.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
<snip> and for aftermarket parts it needs to be proven that it caused the damage or malfunction.
Everyone says the dealer has to "prove". I'm sure you will find out and let us know but my guess is all the dealer has to say is we provided the facts--what they found-- to BMW and BMW will have the Caesar moment. Then it's in the owner's court to hire a lawyer and fight the decision. The engine might be cheaper

All said, I would definitely take it to the dealer, you have nothing to loose.

Quote:

But looking at it from the worst side, does anyone now if its possible to order a new M2 engine?
I'm sure you can order one but it will cost a pretty penny or two.

You can buy used...

https://www.usedbmwengines.us/engine...m-352659744999

or new...

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...SABEgIk8vD_BwE

or maybe an opportunity to upgrade...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-BMW-M4...4AAOSwtXtbA2~b

Last edited by omasou; 05-15-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
acl2637.00
      05-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Quote:
....It's not a race car but it should at least hold for a few track days.
So..how many hours has the car been on track...total ?
How abusive has the 10,000 miles been in general ?
Lots of modded N55s have endured many years / miles of abuse without similar issue.
If you had to hazard a guess...what do think your issue is ? Hint...It’s not the OTS BM3.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
acl26
Private
Rep

I don't have access to the car right now so I can't check if the logs for the day made it through.

The car ran fine power and power was present till final run.

When the car went into limp mode it was sudden and with acceleration only, wasn't even near redline either. Didn't check coolant temps but I doubt it would have been anything crazy as I didn't notice any power loss and I skipped a session as well. Shut off the car and it went away.

Limp mode occurred when I was near half a tank so I thought it was a similar limp mode due to LPFP issue. Second time limp mode went to check actual messages through BM3 and it show super knocking and fuel injectors shut off.

I couldn't see anything online to those codes so I thought it wasn't anything serious but here we are now.

then again, on stage 1 91, I ran WA 92 gas with Lucas octane booster.

No idea where this crazy knocking came from. Shelton, WA that day didn't have super hot weather either.

Even at the last session the motor seemed fine. I only stopped as there was huge white smoke coming from exhausts.

Funny thing is that no limp mode came on the session right before it or any messages.

I am so perplexed at this incident. Either way, even if its mods or engine defect can I even trust this motor to do occasional track days anymore?

or anyone else for the matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
acl26
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
So..how many hours has the car been on track...total ?
How abusive has the 10,000 miles been in general ?
Lots of modded N55s have endured many years / miles of abuse without similar issue.
If you had to hazard a guess...what do think your issue is ? Hint...It’s not the OTS BM3.
Yes, this is my understanding as well so that is why initially I thought it would have been a blown turbo more than anything internal.

This is the 5th track day for the car and 1st day this year.

I don't abuse the car regularly, I don't even know are to launch it.

If you are implying its a money shift, I can tell you I wouldn't waste time making a post for it like this.

In any case, how can you be so sure it cannot be BM3? (not accusing anyone)

But how long as v5.7 been out for? Has it had enough track testing?

But I honestly don't believe it is the tune either.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Well...I take a couple of logs each run / session...and the data has always looked good. Recently I have opted for OTS Stage 2 91 vs 93, as I spotted some knock indications. I wasn’t certain they were an issue, but didn’t want to push my luck.
I heard of 3 engine failures at a recent DE event that were traced back to a pump gas issue....water I believe. May be something worth checking.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #16
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The DP alone will sink you with a warranty claim.. Tampering with a Federally mandated emission control device is a easy win if you try to sue them, you'll lose just on sheer principle.

I love how naive and spry folks are in believing that the dealer has to abide by any MMA requirements or what ever empty threat you throw at them would actually sway their decision; if they have any reasonable suspicion that the vehicle was abused, modded, or tuned for more power that was allowed stock, they'll be happy to tell you to go kick rocks..

What you going to do then? There is no financial recourse except unsuccessfully suing them, which could drag on for years..

I'm pretty sure BM3 leaves a shadow code in ROM regardless if you flash it back to stock, which they would be able to retrieve. Best bet is beg for the mercy of a goodwill repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #17
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
I only ran one session with stage 2 as I forgot the change it back.
I am not super familiar with BM3 options. What exactly is the change between stage 1 and stage 2? Higher boost, and advanced timing and fueling? Was it still a 91 octane tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #18
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Honestly......there shouldn't even be tunes available for 91 octane...that's not even sufficient for the stock car.

It's just plain bad.

Please keep us informed OP.
We all wish you the best
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #19
Daniel121
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20

did you notice the crank temperature when hapens? or did you do a missshift?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #20
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

This will end up being what should have been a legitimate warranty covered failure that BMW will get out of paying due to mods that didn't cause the failure.
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #21
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

Have you checked the crankbolt? While not as common as the S55 spun hub, it does happen with the N55 on occasion as well. I have heard of a couple of instances in the Chicago area. In both of them, the spun hub messed up the timing, caused something to break inside the engine and became an oil pump. This causes an oil leak soon after and then the engine seizes. Both cars were tracked heavily.
2015 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #22
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

This statement is somewhat misguided and perhaps biased as well. Anytime someone modifies the engine, you are introducing additional stress beyond the original intended level determined by BMW to be safe. Yes, there has been many prior cases where the same mods have shown to be problem free, but every car is subjected to different usage. To make a definitive statement that the mods did not cause the failure is being naive.

The best bet for the owner is to approach the dealership for a good will repair at a reduced rate. But the better question is will the owner trust the car on track anymore with the same mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
This will end up being what should have been a legitimate warranty covered failure that BMW will get out of paying due to mods that didn't cause the failure.
2015 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Appreciate 2