BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake pads for 2NH (daily use, ocasional track use)

02-06-2024, 06:44 AM   #1
Manco
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Brake pads for 2NH (daily use, ocasional track use)

Hey guys,

I think it's time for a new set of brake pads for my 2NH brakes and have been browsing this forum for an answer but ended up with too many answers so I thought I might do a post about it instead.

I daily my m2c and will eventually do a couple track days during the summer months so I'm not really interest in track pads but definitely want a set of pads that will survive those occasional track days and still be bearable while dailying it. With that information in mind, what would you guys recommend for me?

Also, what do you guys use?

BR
Manco
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:11 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

The impossible question with an equally impossible answer.

The real answer? It depends.

If you're doing light HPDE work, then the CarboTech 1521 is your answer. It's a brilliant street pad that can handle light HPDE work.

But if you're doing real track days they won't hold up, and in fact NO street pad will, unless it's a street pad that will severely shorten the life of your rotors.

Real track days require real track pads, end of story.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 02:04 AM   #3
Manco
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The impossible question with an equally impossible answer.

The real answer? It depends.

If you're doing light HPDE work, then the CarboTech 1521 is your answer. It's a brilliant street pad that can handle light HPDE work.

But if you're doing real track days they won't hold up, and in fact NO street pad will, unless it's a street pad that will severely shorten the life of your rotors.

Real track days require real track pads, end of story.
I understand, in that case I think it would be best for me to find good street pads and a set of track pads that I can change to before hitting the track. Can you recommend me a set of track pads?

Last edited by Manco; 02-07-2024 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:47 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manco View Post
I understand, in that case I think it would be best for me to find good street pads and a set of track pads that I can change to before hitting the track. Can you recommend me a set of track pads?
I can't, I don't track my car. I'm sure you can get that info easily in the Track Rat forum. The CarboTech 1521 will be the absolute best for the street though.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:30 PM   #5
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Hey guys,

I think it's time for a new set of brake pads for my 2NH brakes and have been browsing this forum for an answer but ended up with too many answers so I thought I might do a post about it instead.

I daily my m2c and will eventually do a couple track days during the summer months so I'm not really interest in track pads but definitely want a set of pads that will survive those occasional track days and still be bearable while dailying it. With that information in mind, what would you guys recommend for me?

BR
Manco
It really depends on what track you run at and driving level. Some tracks are not brake heavy and some people are not driving at 10/10 and are fine with a less harsh pad compound. A Ferrodo DS2500 which is their daily pad could work pretty well for you.

Some people also keep the DS2500 in the back and just switch the front to DS 1.11 (which is what I run front and back and are excellent but they do squell like crazy and do wear down your discs a bit faster). However with the BBK on the comp the front is a bit of a pain to replace.

So if you are hard on your brakes at the track or go to a track that is heavy on the brakes I probably skip tryng to find a daily/track pad because as mention it really does not exist and just swap per event (only 2 events a year or so, so would not be that bad) otherwise try a DS2500 and see how it does
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 11:48 AM   #6
Juice ///M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: RaceCars and Stuff

Hawk ER-1 for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 11:15 AM   #7
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

For non track use I agree with the Carbotech 1521 recommendation. I just put a set on and am very happy with the results. No noise and minimal dust. You lose a slight amount of initial grab but I was totally use to it by the time I had gotten home.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 01:09 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Ferodo 2500's will suit you until you are tracking a lot; swapping pads is much more of a hassle w/ the 2NH setup and you can run them on the street as well if you have a winter car. If you plan to drive it in the winter then you may want to just stick with factory pads and swap in track pads for when you are on track (or swap the 2500's back to factory pads when you put the winter tires on). If you buy them from fcp Euro they will replace them forever.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 10:10 PM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeater View Post
For non track use I agree with the Carbotech 1521 recommendation. I just put a set on and am very happy with the results. No noise and minimal dust. You lose a slight amount of initial grab but I was totally use to it by the time I had gotten home.
I had issues in heavy heavy rain or after pressure washing the wheels with 1521 where there would be no brakes for several seconds until enough braking to dry the wheel occurred. If I really braked hard it would give me this crazy vibration (not ABS) through the pedal until I eased off. I think ultimately it would be able to lock up ABS but it did not feel great to me. I haven't seen anyone else complain about that, and it was fairly cold when I experienced it, so who knows.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52716.50
      03-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #10
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

You'll know when you're ready to upgrade to a stronger front pad when you go through a set of front DS2500 in 3 days. Ask me how I know!

I use Hawk DTC60 in the front for track days, and leave the DS2500 on the rear. Still have over half the rear pad left after 10 days!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52716.50
      03-06-2024, 01:33 PM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Hey guys,

BR
Manco
Ferodo DS2500 is the best all-around pad. It can take a light track day abuse and still have decent street manners. Most users report no noise issues on the street.

DM us with any questions or a quote.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 10:43 AM   #12
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I had issues in heavy heavy rain or after pressure washing the wheels with 1521 where there would be no brakes for several seconds until enough braking to dry the wheel occurred. If I really braked hard it would give me this crazy vibration (not ABS) through the pedal until I eased off. I think ultimately it would be able to lock up ABS but it did not feel great to me. I haven't seen anyone else complain about that, and it was fairly cold when I experienced it, so who knows.
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep an eye out for those problems, however, I live in AZ so cold and wet are conditions I rarely see.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:08 AM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeater View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep an eye out for those problems, however, I live in AZ so cold and wet are conditions I rarely see.
Probably won't have an issue then.
Appreciate 0