BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BC Racing vs. KWv3 vs. Bilstein PSS10 B16

12-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #23
SlowM2C
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition 6spd

And you are correct, there's a ton of factors when it comes to suspension. If you buy a 2020 BMW M2C and do nothing but bolt on a set of KW coilovers and lower it so the stance looks cool, will it handle better than stock? No, it will most likely handle worse (but FEEL better cause it's a rougher ride, cause rough means racecar).

Unless you're a professional full time race car driver on slicks, you are NOT exceeding the stock M2C suspension capabilities on any public road in the USA and not at any HPDE.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #24
SlowM2C
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition 6spd

If you are an experienced driver and do a lot of HPDE with an M2C?

First thing is you'll want better tires, a square setup as well not staggered for more balanced cornering. That right there will be a SIGNIFICANT improvement in cornering. Next is alignment, OEM alignment is for tire life not cornering, you'll get MUCH better grip and response. Then you will want a set of coilovers for the fact that you can balance the weight of the car, and BMW sells a coilover kit that is perfectly valved and springed for the M2C.
Appreciate 1
325smg11.00
      12-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #25
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Jet Bill posted a really interesting thread about the differences between various coilover suspension systems for the M2 (and the stock units) backed up with suspension dyno plots.

Can't find it just now, but well worth a look.

Edit: Here you go.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1590553

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-18-2019 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Link to referenced thread
Appreciate 3
      12-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #26
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowM2C View Post
Reddit? That's the toilet of the internet god no.
Don't list your website in your BIO here if you do not want people to look you up. You are a consistent troll on reddit and constantly brag about your big house and bmw.

Quote:
And you are correct, there's a ton of factors when it comes to suspension. If you buy a 2020 BMW M2C and do nothing but bolt on a set of KW coilovers and lower it so the stance looks cool, will it handle better than stock? No, it will most likely handle worse (but FEEL better cause it's a rougher ride, cause rough means racecar).
Again, no one is saying that it would. Stop backpedalling.

Quote:
Unless you're a professional full time race car driver on slicks, you are NOT exceeding the stock M2C suspension capabilities on any public road in the USA and not at any HPDE.
This is simply untrue.
Appreciate 1
blitzyo53.00
      12-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #27
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

First thing is you'll want better tires, a square setup as well not staggered for more balanced cornering. That right there will be a SIGNIFICANT improvement in cornering. Next is alignment, OEM alignment is for tire life not cornering, you'll get MUCH better grip and response. Then you will want a set of coilovers for the fact that you can balance the weight of the car, and BMW sells a coilover kit that is perfectly valved and springed for the M2C.
Here you go again, pretending to know the handling characteristics of a car you just bought. How do you know the OP does not already have tires, square setup, corner balancing, alignment?

And now you're advocating getting coilovers? Earlier you were just saying the OEM's are better than anything aftermarket? Which is it?

The M Performance coilovers are the same ones they put on most of the F8X cars, its not "valved perfectly for the M2C". Furthermore, it's most likely not setup for whatever type of driving you plan on doing. It's also not as adjustable.
Appreciate 1
kpaso183.00
      12-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #28
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't post on reddit, sorry to burst your creeper bubble.
Sure buddy. I'd be happy to post up links of where you didnt troll reddit if you'd like. I really didn't care that much, but it just reinforces who the "creep" really is here.

Quote:
Hey, if you wanna toss on a set of coilovers on a stock car and slam it to the ground because racecar, that's fine... but don't go telling the world it handles better than stock, because it doesn't.
We both know thats not what I said, along with everyone else following this thread. Can we stop crapping on it now?
Appreciate 2
Conissah1576.00
gphung193.50
      12-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #29
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Sure buddy. I'd be happy to post up links of where you didnt troll reddit if you'd like. I really didn't care that much, but it just reinforces who the "creep" really is here.
It's his first day on the internet, gotta be. Nothing but horse shit flows from his mouth. The more we respond to him, the worse it gets.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22427.50
      12-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #30
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:

You're hillarious, and you really drank BMW's koolaid. The car from factory is setup for the average driver to not kill themselves and sue BMW. The cars are setup with best braking performance in mind.

If you actually knew what you are talking about you'd know that stock suspension leaves almost no adjustment which is why people go to aftermarket suspension, and you go to square setup not for improved cornering, but to make it cheaper on the track. Staggered will give you the best cornering and straight line performance, because you are maximizing the contact surface on each corner. Why don't you have a look at a real race car and see if the tires are the same size on the front and the back.

Oh and M Performance Coilovers are made by KW and are a slightly less good version of the V3's you keep shitting on.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      12-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #31
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Reddit? That's the toilet of the internet god no.

The OP only asked about coilovers and we should help him in his decision, all the rest is off topic. We don't know anything about his driving skills, his driving tastes, his driving habits, his car's mods and whatever.
A good set of coilovers is surely better than the stock suspensions and this is out of the question.
Appreciate 3
      12-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #32
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I don't know how one can talk about dampers, spring rates, and sway bars independently of each other... It's all one system, and each component has effects on other parts of the system.

For a given target ride frequency, which affects your transients and is the output of spring rate, are the damping forces optimal to support the car to keep max traction and allow quick transitions? What level of sway bar do you need at the current spring rates to combat body roll without taking away grip from that end?

I just moved down from an H&R 28mm to Dinan 25mm front sway bar because with my already higher than OE spring rates the H&R was far too stiff. It made understeer a lot worse and the reduced suspension independence really hurt the car's stability over features like track curbing.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 07:56 PM   #33
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
I think he’s referring to keeping the shock absorber rod/cylinder(?) steady while removing the top bolt.
Spinning that thing while removing may damage the seal.
Is this about removing the OEM? What’s that got to do with the possible issue with the PSS10 then if it’s about the OEM?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #34
Nathank234
Rep
Drives: m2

to add to this thread, i went the BC racing DS (digressive) coils recently on my m2 (it was curiosity sake and would upgrade if i needed to). I went from a stock setup to H&R VTF adjustable springs to currently the BC's. Off the bat the BC suspension is more compliant than the former 2 setups and is not as crashy/jarring but definitely can feel more absorption of the bump and can feel the wheel travelling more where i now rub on bumps i wouldn't before. definitely more road feel is entering the cabin, however, not from the seat of the car, but the steering wheel. overall comfort wise, BC is more comfortable than stock suspension/HAS kit (i know dont shoot me as its BC branded). Have not tracked this setup however on backroad cornering its even flatter than before and much tighter. all this with additional comfort.

onto quality of the kit. WOW. i used to have a 135i e82 on BC Gold coilovers which i thought was a great quality of kit but this M2 kit is just perfect when you're holding them. Came with shorter front endlinks which i was not expecting in the kit in wrinkle finish powdercoat. studded top hats to remove the factory one use stretch bolts. everything was identical to the millimetre in terms of preload and shock length on all corners out of the box. on install even the heights from left to right were exactly to the millimeter out of the box. the finish is all extremely nice, looks and feels all heavy duty.

time will now tell how long they last or until they make noises (not a noise at all currently) but i believe for the price they have stepped up the game with this DS version. its as if the digressiveness has removed all that bounce that the Golds suffered from in the low speed. currently using their recommended Spring rates at 7kg/14kg. setup is on 10 clicks out from soft. Im from australia and dont have access to the swift spring update which i could imagine you can step up to a 8kg/14kg and still gain more comfort. to add it looks like the car can also be made stock height. im currently at 595mm/595mm. but if you're a stance boy then you can drop these to the point of undriveable.

is this better than KW kit or Bilstein. i have not experienced a car with these coilovers but its common sense a BC will not come close. The price reflects these too. But off the bat is there anything i can fault holding this BC coilover? NO. not physically i could find. is it more comfortable than stock suspension and a HAS Kit? YES. do i have more adjustment than a HAS kit? YES. BC comes with camber plates which i currently have set to -2.5 degrees at front and 0 toe. does it handle better than stock or a HAS KIT? YES. now if i was chasing tenths between these and more expensive coilovers then ofcourse the higher brands win.

Who would i recommend these BC to? People who are thinking about a HAS kit, considering, these hold up and endure abuse. Im in Australia and these potholes and roads are atrocious so ill guess if its a short term item or not depending if they fail

would i do this again knowing i daily my car, do back road twisties every weekend, and possible 1-2 trackdays a year? HELL YES. its still weird for me to believe this BC coilover is just better in every area of the stock shocks (short term speaking)

Would love to see these BC DS against a Bilstein b16 or KW V3 on identical setup cars to see how close or how far the times seperate them. i know ADAM LZ runs these on his track evo with great success

Last edited by Nathank234; 11-12-2022 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2024, 01:50 AM   #35
Freshly_Baked
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathank234 View Post
to add to this thread, i went the BC racing DS (digressive) coils recently on my m2 (it was curiosity sake and would upgrade if i needed to). I went from a stock setup to H&R VTF adjustable springs to currently the BC's. Off the bat the BC suspension is more compliant than the former 2 setups and is not as crashy/jarring but definitely can feel more absorption of the bump and can feel the wheel travelling more where i now rub on bumps i wouldn't before. definitely more road feel is entering the cabin, however, not from the seat of the car, but the steering wheel. overall comfort wise, BC is more comfortable than stock suspension/HAS kit (i know dont shoot me as its BC branded). Have not tracked this setup however on backroad cornering its even flatter than before and much tighter. all this with additional comfort.

onto quality of the kit. WOW. i used to have a 135i e82 on BC Gold coilovers which i thought was a great quality of kit but this M2 kit is just perfect when you're holding them. Came with shorter front endlinks which i was not expecting in the kit in wrinkle finish powdercoat. studded top hats to remove the factory one use stretch bolts. everything was identical to the millimetre in terms of preload and shock length on all corners out of the box. on install even the heights from left to right were exactly to the millimeter out of the box. the finish is all extremely nice, looks and feels all heavy duty.

time will now tell how long they last or until they make noises (not a noise at all currently) but i believe for the price they have stepped up the game with this DS version. its as if the digressiveness has removed all that bounce that the Golds suffered from in the low speed. currently using their recommended Spring rates at 7kg/14kg. setup is on 10 clicks out from soft. Im from australia and dont have access to the swift spring update which i could imagine you can step up to a 8kg/14kg and still gain more comfort. to add it looks like the car can also be made stock height. im currently at 595mm/595mm. but if you're a stance boy then you can drop these to the point of undriveable.

is this better than KW kit or Bilstein. i have not experienced a car with these coilovers but its common sense a BC will not come close. The price reflects these too. But off the bat is there anything i can fault holding this BC coilover? NO. not physically i could find. is it more comfortable than stock suspension and a HAS Kit? YES. do i have more adjustment than a HAS kit? YES. BC comes with camber plates which i currently have set to -2.5 degrees at front and 0 toe. does it handle better than stock or a HAS KIT? YES. now if i was chasing tenths between these and more expensive coilovers then ofcourse the higher brands win.

Who would i recommend these BC to? People who are thinking about a HAS kit, considering, these hold up and endure abuse. Im in Australia and these potholes and roads are atrocious so ill guess if its a short term item or not depending if they fail

would i do this again knowing i daily my car, do back road twisties every weekend, and possible 1-2 trackdays a year? HELL YES. its still weird for me to believe this BC coilover is just better in every area of the stock shocks (short term speaking)

Would love to see these BC DS against a Bilstein b16 or KW V3 on identical setup cars to see how close or how far the times seperate them. i know ADAM LZ runs these on his track evo with great success
I think I am Sold on BCs.
How are you finding it now after some time with it?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are/were.
Daily, some back road fun and Track day, maybe once or twice a year.
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:23 PM   #36
Yameister
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

If your ultimate end goal is a track car, buy the right suspension once.
I'm a prime example, I bought KWV3, and they are way to soft with sticky tires. So now I'm looking at buying another set.

Go with MCS, and Nitrons. If you really do want to stay with KW or Bilstein, get the clubsports versions, don't bother looking at the V3 or PSS10.

But don't get me wrong, the V3 or PSS10 are amazing/comfortable to drive on the streets and very very light/casual tracking.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:28 AM   #37
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameister View Post
If your ultimate end goal is a track car, buy the right suspension once.
I'm a prime example, I bought KWV3, and they are way to soft with sticky tires. So now I'm looking at buying another set.

Go with MCS, and Nitrons. If you really do want to stay with KW or Bilstein, get the clubsports versions, don't bother looking at the V3 or PSS10.

But don't get me wrong, the V3 or PSS10 are amazing/comfortable to drive on the streets and very very light/casual tracking.
I don’t find this to be the case with PSS10.

I would not call them soft at 514/800 F/R spring rates, and they are a bit rough around town. However on track they are great. The max I’ve needed to dial the dampers to is 7 out of 10 and that’s been plenty stiff with sticky tires.

Bang for the buck they’re great for the track, but stiff for street even when dialed down. Anything else for the track is double the price.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 08:55 AM   #38
Yameister
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I don’t find this to be the case with PSS10.

I would not call them soft at 514/800 F/R spring rates, and they are a bit rough around town. However on track they are great. The max I’ve needed to dial the dampers to is 7 out of 10 and that’s been plenty stiff with sticky tires.

Bang for the buck they’re great for the track, but stiff for street even when dialed down. Anything else for the track is double the price.
Yeah, my bad on the Bilstein, I read somewhere said the front springs were at 5k (280ish lb).
My kw v3 front rates are at 4k (230ish lb) progressive, hence why I'm saying stay away from V3 if it's going to be a track car.
Appreciate 0