BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > rear differential noise

12-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
dannysixpack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 1997 Spec Miata R

rear differential noise

I have a 2017 M2 - 24k miles. it's made a weird geary kind of noise since it was new.

at very low speeds when I back out of parking space with the wheel cut all the way I hear a slow wah wah wah noise. put it in first cut the where full lock the other way and I hear it. then straighten out and I can hear it (because i'm now focused on it) but it's quieter.

this only happens at idle speed. does anyone else have something like this going on?

thanks

dan
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I had something quite similar when turning at low speeds at full lock. Happened early on maybe around 5k miles. Dealer replaced the entire differential and I went through the break in again. Been good since
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I had a rear diff issue with my E60 M5 that made me nuts. It took me close to a year to figure it out, because the sound transmitted in such a way that I thought it was coming from the front wheel wells. I had 20” BBS LM wheels on at the time, and the noise occurred at low speeds with steering input, so I was certain that the noise was the front tires rubbing on the fender liners. I bought a heat gun and tried to heat and mold the plastic fender liners to increase clearance, and eventually ended up cutting out sections of the liners to further increase clearance. Still no improvement. Finally I saw a thread on bimmerpost about M5 diff issues, describing noises just like I was hearing. Turns out there was a TSB on it. Had the diff oil changed under warranty and all was fixed.
If you’re still under warranty, I’d take it to the dealer ASAP.
      12-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I remember the plate type LSD in the original R53 Mini making similar noises, but only at low speeds on full lock. The TSB was to change the oil to one that gave less lock up on the LSD. No noise, but could feel more like an open diff...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Is the car M-DCT or 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysixpack View Post
I have a 2017 M2 - 24k miles. it's made a weird geary kind of noise since it was new.

at very low speeds when I back out of parking space with the wheel cut all the way I hear a slow wah wah wah noise. put it in first cut the where full lock the other way and I hear it. then straighten out and I can hear it (because i'm now focused on it) but it's quieter.

this only happens at idle speed. does anyone else have something like this going on?

thanks

dan
Just thinking about this more - if the car is a 6MT, with the clutch engaged, you can usually hear the disc springs and the rotation of the clutch/flywheel as the "wah, wah, wah" sound. It's been the case on all three (E90, F82, F87) M cars I've owned.

At such slow speed, the diff is rotating so slowly, and under no real load, so that probably isn't it.

If the car is a DCT, you may be hearing the Flywheel and clutch in the DCT whirring slightly. I don't own a DCT bit they make more noise than a torque converter auto.

My $.02
Appreciate 0