BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bimmerlink and O2 Sensor Values, please help

12-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
LA_M2
Private
Rep
Drives: Black M2

Bimmerlink and O2 Sensor Values, please help

Thanks in advance for your help.

I recently brought my car in to get a smog test. It's required in CA to register an out of state car. The guy said that he was only able to get reading from 3 out of 4 oxygen sensors. The 4th one seem to have not fired yet. This might be a result of a recent service where the O2 sensor was loose after some service and they had to reset it. He said I have to drive around for at least 20miles, on the highway, staying above 55mph. I did that, I think.

Anyway, I have VGate and Bimmerlink, I also have Bimmercode. What values in Bimmerlink can I monitor to see if that all 4 O2 sensors have fired. I think only 1 was listed as Oxygen while others are listed as Air something. If you know if have sensor values I should be monitoring, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_M2 View Post

I recently brought my car in to get a smog test. It's required in CA to register an out of state car. The guy said that he was only able to get reading from 3 out of 4 oxygen sensors. The 4th one seem to have not fired yet. This might be a result of a recent service where the O2 sensor was loose after some service and they had to reset it. He said I have to drive around for at least 20miles, on the highway, staying above 55mph. I did that, I think.

Anyway, I have VGate and Bimmerlink, I also have Bimmercode. What values in Bimmerlink can I monitor to see if that all 4 O2 sensors have fired. I think only 1 was listed as Oxygen while others are listed as Air something. If you know if have sensor values I should be monitoring, please let me know.
The drive cycle to get the sensors to ready state is complicated. It's more than just drive 20 miles on highway for BMW. Do a search for the drive cycle.

Also o2 sensors can be sensitive. If someone moved them around it's possible it's broken.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 04:59 AM   #3
Leaveatrail86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_M2 View Post

All 4 oxygen sensors? N55 m2, right? We only have 2.
Appreciate 0