BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins Help... Getting Annoyed

11-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
jashton
Private
Rep
Drives: Shelby GT350

Ohlins Help... Getting Annoyed

I’ll start by saying I think this is my first and last Ohlins purchase.

I ordered an Ohlins R&T setup with Swift springs (70 front 160 rear) based on Ohlins recommendation when I called them.

Fast forward to the install and it takes several calls to get a hold of somebody. The first person I talked to clearly had no clue what he was talking about so I decided to call back the next day. When I finally get a hold of somebody the next day, I’m told the person who can answer my question is in a meeting and will have to call me back. Did I get a call back? Nope. I call back the next day and they tell me to call back Monday. Meanwhile my car has been sitting waiting to get a simple preload question answered. After explaining that my car is apart, they ended up just giving me incorrect information to attempt to help.

Why are these guys recommending spring rates that they can’t give supply installation info for? I installed the rear springs with the recommended preload for the rear and the car sits higher than stock. I told them on the phone that I believe it needs more preload and was still told to use the recommended rates. It’s not possible to get any more height adjustment via the strut since there needs to be more preload on the spring.

Anyways long rant to get to this, but really disappointed in Ohlins support. I wish I would’ve went with M Performance at this point or been smart enough to stick with the standard Ohlins rates...

My car is apart still since I have no idea what preload to use for the rear springs and I have no faith in Ohlins support at this point. I literally just want to pull the entire setup. The front seemed okay I did 6mm of preload instead of the recommended 5mm.

For rear I followed the recommended 40mm, for the adjust height, as confirmed by Ohlins and the car sits higher than stock in the rear.

How are you guys running Swift setups calculating rear preload, because Ohlins sure has no idea how to.

Sorry if I let off a bit too much steam...

Last edited by jashton; 11-09-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I'm supposed to receive my kit very soon in 70/140 ohlins springs, eager to see what instructions they will have included, I did read on some threads about a way to calculate it, search the M4 sections there are more threads about ohlins setups !
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The rear should be pretty simple. As long as the springs are the correct length then just turn the collar in one direction to go up and the other direction to go down until you are happy with the ride height. No?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
jashton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I'm not sure I understand the problem. The rear should be pretty simple. As long as the springs are the correct length then just turn the collar in one direction to go up and the other direction to go down until you are happy with the ride height. No?
No, with the Ohlins setup height adjustment and preload are separate.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashton View Post
No, with the Ohlins setup height adjustment and preload are separate.
Ah, I see the 40mm in the installation manual. I assume you took out the OEM rubber boot at the top of the rear spring, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
jashton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Ah, I see the 40mm in the installation manual. I assume you took out the OEM rubber boot at the top of the rear spring, right?
Yeah, everything is 100% installed correctly, but there needs to be more spring preload. There should be a set amount for this spring rate and from there I should be able to adjust the height separately. The issue is with 40mm of preload paired with the 160 rear spring I can’t adjust the height any lower.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Why would you not just reduce the preload? Is the spring too long to allow for that, or?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
jashton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Why would you not just reduce the preload? Is the spring too long to allow for that, or?
As I’ve already mentioned, I am aware I have to adjust the preload, but I still want the correct amount of preload for my spring rate. Ohlins has a separate height adjuster so logically you should set preload to a specified amount and then use the height adjuster for height adjustments. Can I get it close, probably, but when you’re talking about a coilover setup north of 3k, it’s a little ridiculous to not have support to install it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
As I’ve already mentioned, I am aware I have to adjust the preload, but I still want the correct amount of preload for my spring rate. Ohlins has a separate height adjuster so logically you should set preload to a specified amount and then use the height adjuster for height adjustments. Can I get it close, probably, but when you’re talking about a coilover setup north of 3k, it’s a little ridiculous to not have support to install it correctly.
I think a lot of your frustration is stemming from your inexperience tbh. Yes height adjustment and preload can be tuned separately but the very fundamental concept of "preload" is intertwined with ride height. You cannot completely separate the two adjustment. How about just experimenting with it, testing it and then going from there? If its installed correctly, theres no harm is choosing a base preload setting, resting the car, checking the ride height and going for a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
jashton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
I think a lot of your frustration is stemming from your inexperience tbh. Yes height adjustment and preload can be tuned separately but the very fundamental concept of "preload" is intertwined with ride height. You cannot completely separate the two adjustment. How about just experimenting with it, testing it and then going from there? If its installed correctly, theres no harm is choosing a base preload setting, resting the car, checking the ride height and going for a test drive.
I’m sorry for following Ohlins direct recommendation to purchase these spring rates. I’m also sorry they told me to put the wrong preload. Who is the inexperienced one?

I already adjusted the preload, but my question is still not answered which is how much preload should be on this particular spring? Sounds like you could use a little reading comprehension tbh.

And yes you can separate the two adjustments if you have the correct preload for your setup. That’s exactly why with Ohlins standard rates they tell you a set preload so that you aren’t adjusting your preload to get a desired ride height.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
I’m sorry for following Ohlins direct recommendation to purchase these spring rates. I’m also sorry they told me to put the wrong preload. Who is the inexperienced one?

I already adjusted the preload, but my question is still not answered which is how much preload should be on this particular spring? Sounds like you could use a little reading comprehension tbh.

And yes you can separate the two adjustments if you have the correct preload for your setup. That’s exactly why with Ohlins standard rates they tell you a set preload so that you aren’t adjusting your preload to get a desired ride height.
Ohlin standard rates are WAY TOO HIGH for the street.

Get it sorted out and use the lower rates

I went with the M2 spring rates on my M3 and it was brutal over the bigger bumps. Large dips at freeway speeds would launch me out of my seat and into the headrest and the traction control system would activate.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

And just FYI, the rear being slightly higher over stock is very common with the Ohlins, I ran into the same issue.

It you want a lower than stock look, Ohlins are not the right choice.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
jashton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

I went with the M2 spring rates on my M3 and it was brutal over the bigger bumps. Large dips at freeway speeds would launch me out of my seat and into the headrest and the traction control system would activate.
I’ve heard the same from a few other guys. I called Ohlins for that exact reason since my car will only see track time about 3-4 times a year and they recommended the Swift setup. I’ve got it set now, with what I believe should be pretty close to the accurate preload, while still maintaining close to the recommended 500mm strut length. I’ll post back with an update once I take it her out.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Are you sure you have the correct length spring? I had Swifts on my M4 with JRZ RS Pros. They were customized by the shop I purchased from. They sent me the wrong length rear spring and it sat too high. I swapped out for 1 inch less and it was perfect.

Swift has a number of different lengths and rates. Just a thought.
      11-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
jashton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Are you sure you have the correct length spring? I had Swifts on my M4 with JRZ RS Pros. They were customized by the shop I purchased from. They sent me the wrong length rear spring and it sat too high. I swapped out for 1 inch less and it was perfect.

That’s a good question. It’s a 9” spring (if I remember correctly) and based on the fact that I had to move the adjuster 30mm an 8” spring would seem to make more sense. I would ask Ohlins, but they haven’t been able to answer any questions. I’ll reach out to my dealer to verify.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post

That’s a good question. It’s a 9” spring (if I remember correctly) and based on the fact that I had to move the adjuster 30mm an 8” spring would seem to make more sense. I would ask Ohlins, but they haven’t been able to answer any questions. I’ll reach out to my dealer to verify.
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/au...-200-mm--6151/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
jashton
Private
Rep

Well add this to the list, no noise from the rear. But the front end sounds like it’s falling apart. No idea what’s going on lol, installed how Ohlins recommended with 5mm of preload (I used 6mm). They also told me to use the bearing spacer which I did, paired with ground control camber plates. I’m excited to get to pull the suspension apart again lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #18
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:

This is exactly my experience with Ohlins. I'm running their recommended ride height and tried various stiffness settings (from 15 to 20clicks for the rear) but still rear is extremely stiff. What rates did you end up going with eventually?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #19
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I ran a set of Ohlins on my 2011 EVO X with 900/1000 lb springs.

Thats a lot of SPG for a 3400 car. The Ohlins did a very good job of dampening the springs, but any decent size bump was an adventure on the street.

I didnt mind it because I was tacking the piss out of it, but on the M2C I plan on dialing back my track days.

Right now I'm planning on the D/A TC Kline setup which includes the CP's.

I just don't believe that Ohlins did any real testing on our cars with that rear Spg rate..
Front: 90 N/mm // 515 lbs/in. // 9 k/mm
Rear: 190 N/mm // 1087 lbs/in. // 19 k/mm

I've run all kinds of Spg rates on my last several cars. and 1087lbs on a street car is up there.

I bet a 515F, 750-850lb rear would be near perfect.

IMHO
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:

This is exactly my experience with Ohlins. I'm running their recommended ride height and tried various stiffness settings (from 15 to 20clicks for the rear) but still rear is extremely stiff. What rates did you end up going with eventually?
I didn't , my lease was up and I moved on to something better.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
No. The adjuster on the rear shock sets the length and ensures the shock is working in the middle of its operating range at the chosen ride height. Which is set using the preload on the spring, based on the length and spring rate of the chosen spring.

But yes, they are expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
No. The adjuster on the rear shock sets the length and ensures the shock is working in the middle of its operating range at the chosen ride height. Which is set using the preload on the spring, based on the length and spring rate of the chosen spring.

But yes, they are expensive.
I'm having a difficulty understanding how shock height and spring perch (preload) correlates. In fact, I have posted it in my thread here. Can you please explain this in a bit more detail? Are you saying you set the ride height using the spring perch but you also have to adjust the shock height accordingly? If so, how do you decide on how much you want to change the shock length?
Appreciate 0