BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > M4 GTS coded Traction and Steering – what it means to you

08-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

M4 GTS coded Traction and Steering – what it means to you

[Updated with LSD/GHAS settings]

I thought it worth sharing the differences to be found with the M4 GTS coding – there are posts here and there which mention it’s “better”, but very little detail in terms of what differences are experienced. I’ve been using this now for a few months and love it!

The M4 GTS coding affects 2 areas: MDM mode, steering.

MDM Mode (applicable to M2 OG & LCI):

I was a little nervous about coding this (given all the press reports of how knife edge the M4 GTS is with regards to handling), but I needn’t have been worried! On the M2, the balance and grip offered by the chassis mean that GTS coding works very well and is very liveable day to day.

The GTS coding affects the MDM modes (Sport+, Traction), but not Comfort or Sport, which will still feel the same.
The most immediate thing I noticed (in Sport+), was how much sharper the turn in was, my initial thought was that this was related to the GTS steering coding (which we cover below), but then quickly realised that this was due to the diff being now free to do its job – unless you get to drive a GTS coded car, you will never fully comprehend how restraining the traction control is to the diff – now, the car’s direction can be easily changed on the throttle – the diff just gets stuck in (now free to do its job properly) and all that traction now helps the rear of the car push the front round (but not in a tail out smoking tyres sort of way) – it just feels so much more agile and it able to change direction much more quickly.

In the dry, I have had no pant staining moments at all - generally, there is just mountains of traction. The rear is a freer and could be stepped out if you really wanted to, but you would really have to tell the car to do this – it won’t go sideways at all at speed unless you use throttle that’s way excessive, or accelerate very hard over a crest whilst turning (e.g. off a roundabout). I have not been on the track yet with it, so I don’t know exactly how sideways it will get in the dry, but on the road it’s stepped out maybe up to ~1ft at speed off a roundabout before the traction light started flashing. In the wet, it is still generally drivable, but I have had two massive completely out of shape slides on roundabouts, so Sport mode is recommended when it’s damp.

To code this, change the DSC module’s " C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e" option to “F082GTS” (reference to this post).

Also if you have a US based car, you will need to code EuroMDM to get the same experience, which I understand is done by setting the “C_Laenderkennung” to “ECE” (although I haven’t had to do this myself as I’m in UK anyway – reference to this this post)

Limited Slip Differential (applicable to M2 OG & LCI):

The LSD in our cars also can run in different model modes - I honestly wasn't expecting much, but it makes quite a striking difference.

With the LSD (aka GHAS in Esys) configured to M4 GTS, any hint of understeer is completely gone and the car feels much sharper into turns. When going around a bend, the car's line can now be tightened purely with the throttle (yawing) - the LSD is now putting more torque to the outside wheel, which is then pushing the car around the corner much more sharply (but only when asked via throttle input, not in a scary way).

To achieve this, update the following inside GHAS to "F082GTS":
- DSS TASC
- DSS IPM

Steering (applicable to all M2 (including Competition), plus M3 and M4:

Some of you will have seen a few posts from me related to steering (a little obsession of mine!) and I can now report that this is truly good now for an electric rack.

With the GTS coded steering module, the road surface is far better communicated than ever before and the steering wheel relays undulations far more as well. For instance, I can clearly tell the difference between shell grip and normal surfaces purely through the steering sensations, which was not really possible before.

Even Comfort mode is not too bad now in terms of feel (just very light). Sport is pretty good, and actually has the best feel for high frequency vibrations (e.g. stones, shell grip) but has less reaction to undulations. Sport + is the best though, with great all round feel, balanced weighting that doesn’t feel artificial and it reacts well to undulations.

I have driven 3 x different steering/coding options across 3 x different ISTEP versions and this is the best yet in terms of feel.

I have a friend with a 1M – he has long toyed with the idea of moving to an M2, but hasn’t primarily because of the steering – he has driven my car many times and loved it all expect for the steering. However, with the GTS coding, he is quite impressed and said that if a modern BMW got delivered to him with this feel of steering, he would be quite happy with it.

To put the level of steering here in context/comparison, the feel of the road now is much better than our ’11 plate Merc C-Class (with hydraulic steering), and that Merc was streets ahead of my previous E90 Alpina in terms of steering satisfaction. Don’t expect it to feel exactly the same as hydraulic steering, as it is slightly different in feel, but now at last all the information is there, it’s just a case of recalibrating yourself slightly to the way it’s presented.

To code this, change the ESP module’s "variantencodierung normal" option to “F082GTS”.
_________

Overall, with both of these things coded, the car is now a real joy to drive, much more raw and far less “digital” in feel, and I’ve fallen totally in love with my car – I will be keeping it for a very long time! 
_________

Note about ISTEP Version:
All of the above is all based on ISTEP F020-19-03-530 (v4.16.40) – there was an ISTEP released at some point during late 2018/early 2019, BMW made some quite big changes to the steering module software and the feel/weighting balance was drastically improved by default for all M cars and coding options. If you use this coding on an older ISTEP, your experience may be different.

Last edited by widetyres; 10-01-2020 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 9
supersam281.50
///M Houbi1653.00
cncmastr1568.50
Kankles1484.50
Aeko41.00
      08-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I've had both of these coded for a while now and love them.

I don't think I ever changed to Euro MDM though, I just did the GTS coding alone.

Is any difference between US and Euro GTS MDM?
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      08-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post

I don't think I ever changed to Euro MDM though, I just did the GTS coding alone.

Apparently there is, with a little more slip being allowed with the euro setting - search for "euro mdm" for reviews - I haven't tried the US version myself.
Appreciate 1
tjsabec52.50
      08-16-2019, 02:53 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Quote:

Apparently there is, with a little more slip being allowed with the euro setting - search for "euro mdm" for reviews - I haven't tried the US version myself.
I have tried GTS EPS and DSC/MDIff coding via Thor m flasher.

I agree with Widetyres' summaries although I have the most recent istep flashed during recent dealer visit and really like new oem EPS feel for my Sept 2016 DCT. Not sure if I will change EPS via Thor.

I will probably reflash diff/DSC back to GTS coding as I really like the added neutrality - car feels like its rotation is more sensitive/adjustable via throttle. Without it, you have to apply more %age throttle to get the rear axle to adjust balance - riskier in the real world.

As far as traction is concerned, bigger benefit - to get clever MDiff and DSC working more effectively - has been reduction in rear camber from circa -2deg to circa -1.5deg.
      09-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #5
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with Widetyres' summaries although I have the most recent istep flashed during recent dealer visit and really like new oem EPS feel for my Sept 2016 DCT. Not sure if I will change EPS via Thor.

I will probably reflash diff/DSC back to GTS coding as I really like the added neutrality - car feels like its rotation is more sensitive/adjustable via throttle. Without it, you have to apply more %age throttle to get the rear axle to adjust balance - riskier in the real world.

As far as traction is concerned, bigger benefit - to get clever MDiff and DSC working more effectively - has been reduction in rear camber from circa -2deg to circa -1.5deg.
BP,

You can get a feel for the gts steering even without coding. Now you are on the new ISTEP, drive the car with dsc totally disabled (long press) - the steering will also change -the feel is pretty close to the sport+ with the gts coding.

Interesting re camber - will look into that on next alignment. Cheers.

WT
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1736.00
      09-04-2019, 05:23 AM   #6
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you specially code your diff module (separately from dsc)?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did you specially code your diff module (separately from dsc)?
No - but via Thor Mflasher dynamics package [4 levels std/comp/CS/GTS] - for each level, it's possible as you have 3 tick boxes to select/de-select as follows before its starts to run the FW flash

- EPS;
- DSC
- Mdiff
      09-04-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BP,

You can get a feel for the gts steering even without coding. Now you are on the new ISTEP, drive the car with dsc totally disabled (long press) - the steering will also change -the feel is pretty close to the sport+ with the gts coding.

WT
WT - thanks for the heads up - will give it a try. BP
      09-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BP,

Interesting re camber - will look into that on next alignment. Cheers.

WT
WT

Tried yr GTS eps cheat and it worked.

Great to know and thanks for the tip !

BP
      09-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Tried to do a little more digging into this. Wasn't able to get a definitive answer on the forum but I spoke to a local coder who said you could only choose between Euro or GTS MDM and that the two could not be combined meaning that the US and European GTS coding should be identical. Not sure if he's correct but that's what I was told. I currently don't have windows or a copy of ESYS to play with so I can't really check myself.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      09-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tried to do a little more digging into this. Wasn't able to get a definitive answer on the forum but I spoke to a local coder who said you could only choose between Euro or GTS MDM and that the two could not be combined meaning that the US and European GTS coding should be identical. Not sure if he's correct but that's what I was told. I currently don't have windows or a copy of ESYS to play with so I can't really check myself.
I think he is confusing things personally - the euro/ us coding a separate setting from the model coding (eg F87, f82gts).

If they are related, just set to euro mode and then apply the gts coding also.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      09-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think he is confusing things personally - the euro/ us coding a separate setting from the model coding (eg F87, f82gts).

So I went in and checked this morning and it turns out I had the euro mode enabled alongside the GTS coding this entire time

Kind of a bummer because I was hoping to add even more slip.

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #13
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So I went in and checked this morning and it turns out I had the euro mode enabled alongside the GTS coding this entire time

Kind of a bummer because I was hoping to add even more slip.

You could also try coding the e-diff (called GHAS in esys) to gts settings.

The dsc might still intervene too much for you, but worth a go.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-07-2019, 02:28 AM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I just coded mine and I prefer the f87CS steering option alot more because I feel like the F82 GTS mode was way too artificial with how much they heavy they tried to make it feel. The F87CS is alot lighter (would have prefered it 15-25% heavier) but I think the steering feel is vastly better, and there is no dead spot in the middle (not really too evident on the GTS mode) or center seeking feeling like the GTS mode has.

My ISTEP version is F020-19-07-539, which is also the newest one that my PSZDATA files support.
      10-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
You mind PM'ing me your local coder contact? I have the Bimmercode app but it can't code these types of things it seems... plus I no longer have esys or a windows laptop from my F80 coding days.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
You mind PM'ing me your local coder contact? I have the Bimmercode app but it can't code these types of things it seems... plus I no longer have esys or a windows laptop from my F80 coding days.
Bimmercode can't code the EPS or DSC module via FDL coding, you'll need ESYS.
JTO245246.50
      10-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Oops, I didn't read the bottom section of your post. If you still want ESYS launcher pro 2.8.2 is free until next year and shawnsheridan is your man to get the links, he is absolutely amazing in terms of helping you get started and absolutely a stand up guy for the bmw world.

If you want someone to code it for you online I believe Almaretto can do it for you, and he is a great standup dude who will get you set up right. All you'll need is an Enet cable, a laptop and internet connection.
      10-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #18
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
ESYS only works on windows?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
ESYS only works on windows?
Yes I believe so.

If you have a MacBook you can use boot camp, and probably find a windows license that has been used for really cheap.
BFLY78.50
      10-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Do you guys think it will work on my m2 competition as well?

'mm trying to get esys working but it doesen't want to...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post

Yeah it should definitely work, works on the m3 and m4 so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the m2C.

Just make sure your ecu data files are up to date.

Also install on the C drive, I tried to do it on a second drive and it didn't work.
      10-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #22
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post

Yeah it should definitely work, works on the m3 and m4 so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the m2C.

Just make sure your ecu data files are up to date.

Also install on the C drive, I tried to do it on a second drive and it didn't work.
Good to know. I will be on doing for my M2C. Just have to download to my wife's Mac, she is running boot camp.
Appreciate 0