BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > BMW M2 in Winter

11-30-2019, 03:36 AM   #45
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I had the 640M/Pilot Alpin set 235 f and 255r on my ex LBB OG M2 and last winterseason also on my current M2C:

But I switched to Apex 19 inch 8.5j 245/35 R19 V square Conti TS860s. Just a tad 'bigger' tyre sidewall than the oem 235/35 19s.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #46
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumiO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Michelin PA4 winter tires are the way to go. I went with a square set on 18" wheels. 245/40-18 all around. Wonderful winter traction in my 17' M2. I've even done ice racing with this setup.
Hi, can you tell me the rims width and offset?
I went with a square setup. Wheels are 18x9" ET40 all around.
      12-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #47
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I am going to be relocating from a southern climate back to the north. My current daily drive (only) vehicle is a 718 CGTS (PS4S tires). In Michigan, roads are cleared pretty quickly, so clearance (3.9” versus 4.6” with M2c) is one issue that would keep me off the roads only few times per winter when accumulation is heavy.

Clearance aside, the bigger issue is the fact that the PS4S simply is not safe for winter driving in the northern climate, with even light snow accumulation and the somewhat frequent occasion of cold wet/icy roads.

I am one impulse away from adding an M2C to my garage and plan to use it when conditions do not allow for safe driving of my CGTS. This means I will need to get some tires on the M2C that suit the winter climate. . . and, yes, I will throw the M2C into the daily drive mix year around.

After reading through this thread it seems the PA4 is a popular and effective ‘winter’ tire option. Couple further questions for those whom might have experience.

(1) I would ideally like to avoid changing out the PSS / winter tires over the stock M2C wheels twice a year. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has any northern winter experience on an all-season tire like the PS A/S 3+? If reasonably safe and effective, this would be ideal, as I would just use them year around on the M2C.

(2) The other option is less desirable, but something I am willing to consider if the prevailing view is that PS A/S 3+ (or similar all-season tire) simply will not be safe in a northern winter climate.

Namely, buying a second set of wheels with dedicated winter tires (PA4 or other). This will eliminate need for changing over the stock wheels twice a year. I would want 19” wheels and tires that retain the aesthetic of sport tires to the extent possible. Is there a recommendation(s) for a cost effective and reasonably aesthetically pleasing wheel/winter tire combination?

I imagine the wheel options are pretty unlimited, but I would want something that is ‘cheap’ and, if at all possible, not a complete eye sore. I do not need the ‘best’ winter tires either. Again, I would like something that comes as close to the PSS/PS4S aesthetic as possible. I honestly doubt I would ever notice the difference between the best and worst winter tires available – I would just need a dedicated winter tire.

Thank you

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #48
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I run a set of 19x9.5 wheels and 265x35r19 blizzak LM60s. Works great on Michigan roads in the winter.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      12-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #49
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I run a set of 19x9.5 wheels and 265x35r19 blizzak LM60s. Works great on Michigan roads in the winter.
Detroit

Are you swapping out the PSS and blizzaks over stock wheels twice a year?

Or did you purchase a second set of wheel for the blizzaks?

I would love to hear that someone put some all-season tires (e.g., PS A/S 3+) on the stock wheels and found them capable in the winter . . . perhaps just wishful thinking on my part?

Thank you

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #50
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

We had freezing rain all day today and I'm learning I need to cool it on my driving aggressiveness lol.

Mine is FBO+, so I guess 400hp/460tq at the wheels. Driving in the dry, the car is super gripped up. Much grippier than in the summer with summer tires. But in the ice today, it's definitely easy to fishtail at low speeds. Especially if you give it just a touch more throttle. To the point where it's hard to imagine summer tires being worse than winter tires. So I really don't see how people are saying this car is great in the snow haha.

Although, I have to admit, I'm still running DCS Off in manual mode. If I kick it into auto with sport+ or comfort mode I may see the car handle better on ice.

I'm running 265/35 front and 285/35 rear Sottozero Serie 2 tires, btw. So pretty aggressive snow tires.

I think it's gonna snow tonight/tomorrow so interested to see how it does in the snow, compared to freezing rain.

But yea, so far definitely not something I would want to drive in harsh conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #51
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Detroit

Are you swapping out the PSS and blizzaks over stock wheels twice a year?

Or did you purchase a second set of wheel for the blizzaks?

I would love to hear that someone put some all-season tires (e.g., PS A/S 3+) on the stock wheels and found them capable in the winter . . . perhaps just wishful thinking on my part?

Thank you

///AVM
I did swap my tires last season, but it gets expensive to do it twice a year from a shop who I trust not to scratch my wheels.

I ordered a cheapish set from discount tire this year, they are TSW Max 19x9.5 ET35 in matte black.

Note: I do run springs, spacers and camber plates, so this specific fitment may not work for you. I also have a bit of rub at full lock. Nothing huge, but worth noting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      12-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #52
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
I am going to be relocating from a southern climate back to the north. My current daily drive (only) vehicle is a 718 CGTS (PS4S tires). In Michigan, roads are cleared pretty quickly, so clearance (3.9” versus 4.6” with M2c) is one issue that would keep me off the roads only few times per winter when accumulation is heavy.

Clearance aside, the bigger issue is the fact that the PS4S simply is not safe for winter driving in the northern climate, with even light snow accumulation and the somewhat frequent occasion of cold wet/icy roads.

I am one impulse away from adding an M2C to my garage and plan to use it when conditions do not allow for safe driving of my CGTS. This means I will need to get some tires on the M2C that suit the winter climate. . . and, yes, I will throw the M2C into the daily drive mix year around.

After reading through this thread it seems the PA4 is a popular and effective ‘winter’ tire option. Couple further questions for those whom might have experience.

(1) I would ideally like to avoid changing out the PSS / winter tires over the stock M2C wheels twice a year. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has any northern winter experience on an all-season tire like the PS A/S 3+? If reasonably safe and effective, this would be ideal, as I would just use them year around on the M2C.

(2) The other option is less desirable, but something I am willing to consider if the prevailing view is that PS A/S 3+ (or similar all-season tire) simply will not be safe in a northern winter climate.

Namely, buying a second set of wheels with dedicated winter tires (PA4 or other). This will eliminate need for changing over the stock wheels twice a year. I would want 19” wheels and tires that retain the aesthetic of sport tires to the extent possible. Is there a recommendation(s) for a cost effective and reasonably aesthetically pleasing wheel/winter tire combination?

I imagine the wheel options are pretty unlimited, but I would want something that is ‘cheap’ and, if at all possible, not a complete eye sore. I do not need the ‘best’ winter tires either. Again, I would like something that comes as close to the PSS/PS4S aesthetic as possible. I honestly doubt I would ever notice the difference between the best and worst winter tires available – I would just need a dedicated winter tire.

Thank you

///AVM
AS3+ are a fantastic tire, I ran them on my E90 M3 for the winter and will put them on my M2C. They grip is fantastic in the dry, very close to Supersports. I'd wager they are a lot better than some of the older dedicated summer tires Hankook Ventus, Conti DW etc. They are excellent in the wet, and below freezing temps they remain soft and grippy. They have enough sipes and depth to the tread to do pretty well in light snow as well, although my car wasn't a daily and very rarely went out in the snow. Whats so great about them is you get all weather performance, with very little downside. Means on an un-seasonally warm day you can take the car for a spirited drive an enjoy it, which isn't possible on full winters. If your spending 4 months driving around in deep snow they probably are not the right tire, but for NYC and the surrounding areas they are perfect.

For wheels look at Apex, the EC-7's are popular. They have plenty of M2 fitments.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      12-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #53
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
We had freezing rain all day today and I'm learning I need to cool it on my driving aggressiveness lol.

Mine is FBO+, so I guess 400hp/460tq at the wheels. Driving in the dry, the car is super gripped up. Much grippier than in the summer with summer tires. But in the ice today, it's definitely easy to fishtail at low speeds. Especially if you give it just a touch more throttle. To the point where it's hard to imagine summer tires being worse than winter tires. So I really don't see how people are saying this car is great in the snow haha.

Although, I have to admit, I'm still running DCS Off in manual mode. If I kick it into auto with sport+ or comfort mode I may see the car handle better on ice.

I'm running 265/35 front and 285/35 rear Sottozero Serie 2 tires, btw. So pretty aggressive snow tires.

I think it's gonna snow tonight/tomorrow so interested to see how it does in the snow, compared to freezing rain.

But yea, so far definitely not something I would want to drive in harsh conditions.

I found MDM mode to be the best in the snow. I ran winters all last year and never had any trouble getting around.

In contrast, we had an early season snow blitz here this year while I was out of town, when I got back, I still hadn't gotten my snows on. I decided to take it out with the MPSS tires on when there was still a bit of ice/snow in my neighborhood. I barely made it out. The MPSS are NOT meant for any kind of cold weather. It was basically like driving on hockey pucks.

Keep in mind I've been driving in Michigan winters the good majority of my life, I know how to handle it.

YMMV
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #54
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I found MDM mode to be the best in the snow. I ran winters all last year and never had any trouble getting around.

In contrast, we had an early season snow blitz here this year while I was out of town, when I got back, I still hadn't gotten my snows on. I decided to take it out with the MPSS tires on when there was still a bit of ice/snow in my neighborhood. I barely made it out. The MPSS are NOT meant for any kind of cold weather. It was basically like driving on hockey pucks.

Keep in mind I've been driving in Michigan winters the good majority of my life, I know how to handle it.

YMMV
Haha yea. I took my Conti 5P's off once it was consistently below 40F. Definitely felt them slipping a lot more once it got cold, even when the roads are dry. So I know they'd be useless in snow/ice.

So far today it's cold and wet and the car is pretty gripped up even in DSC Off mode. It feels even gripper than driving with the Conti 5P's on a wet summer day.

This is my first RWD car since a Chrysler 300 back in 2006 and I never drove aggressively in that and was only out once in the snow with it, so the possibility of fishtailing is something to get used to. I have a FWD Saab too and that car is so predictable in the snow. When I lose traction, it under steers and plows straight. The M2, I never know how much it's gonna fishtail. It's dependent on weather conditions and how much throttle I give it. So I'm always "testing the waters" to see how much grip I have every time I go out. It's fun though. I'm enjoying the experience of getting to know a new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #55
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

This is my first RWD car since a Chrysler 300 back in 2006 and I never drove aggressively in that and was only out once in the snow with it, so the possibility of fishtailing is something to get used to. I have a FWD Saab too and that car is so predictable in the snow. When I lose traction, it under steers and plows straight. The M2, I never know how much it's gonna fishtail. It's dependent on weather conditions and how much throttle I give it. So I'm always "testing the waters" to see how much grip I have every time I go out. It's fun though. I'm enjoying the experience of getting to know a new car.
This is where MDM has an advantage over full DSC off. MDM is going to limit your fishtail to a predictable amount. It does take some extra care when driving a RWD in the winter, but it can be quite fun once you get the hang of it.

Try out MDM next time and see what you think.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      12-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #56
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

I must apologize, as I am certain what I stumbled upon must have been previously mentioned on this forum . . . and I simply did not see and/or recognize it as what I was looking for regarding winter wheel/tire options. Incase I am not alone, I have attached the link below.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/ACCESSORI...IRE-ASSEMBLIES

///AVM
Appreciate 0