BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2020 Corvette C8 an M2 Killer?

11-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #353
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
You guys see the latest real world dyno numbers yet?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...-c8-power-dyno
Wow that's impressive
It was not correct.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...orsepower/amp/
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #354
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I think Motor Trend “messed up” on purpose for the clicks. They’ve done lots of dynos over the years and suddenly don’t know how to do one. Regardless, they should have known something was wrong based on the performance numbers they got....none of it added up.
Appreciate 2
trey1001125.00
boostm3683.00
      11-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #355
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

While I'm sure the Vette is faster, but the M2CS just speaks to me more. The seats on the Vette look great though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #356
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I mean the CS looks good, but these 2 cars could not be further apart in the performance spectrum. It's not just that the Vette is faster, it's in a league with Ferrari and Audi R8 when it comes to performance. It will blow the doors of ANY M2.

Only thing comparable is the price. And that's kinds sad to be honest.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #357
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
While I'm sure the Vette is faster, but the M2CS just speaks to me more. The seats on the Vette look great though.
MotorTrend said the C8 interior was better than the new 992 interior, in their comparo article. That is saying a lot, the new 992 interior is very nice. Vette team cleary upped their interior game.

Quote:
It's just one of the ways in which the Corvette's cabin is nicer than the 911's, a sentence we feared we'd never get to write. The Corvette's notoriously cheap materials, gaping panel gaps, and persistent smell of glue have all been banished—and this was in an early-build car, no less.

The previous Corvette generation showed us Chevrolet could afford to give the car both performance and a nice interior, but the C8 has skipped straight past nice and into proper supercar territory.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #358
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I mean the CS looks good, but these 2 cars could not be further apart in the performance spectrum. It's not just that the Vette is faster, it's in a league with Ferrari and Audi R8 when it comes to performance. It will blow the doors of ANY M2.

Only thing comparable is the price. And that's kinds sad to be honest.
It's not sad. They have a different purpose and I think appeal to a different audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
MotorTrend said the C8 interior was better than the new 992 interior, in their comparo article. That is saying a lot, the new 992 interior is very nice. Vette team cleary upped their interior game.

Quote:
It's just one of the ways in which the Corvette's cabin is nicer than the 911's, a sentence we feared we'd never get to write. The Corvette's notoriously cheap materials, gaping panel gaps, and persistent smell of glue have all been banished—and this was in an early-build car, no less.

The previous Corvette generation showed us Chevrolet could afford to give the car both performance and a nice interior, but the C8 has skipped straight past nice and into proper supercar territory.
I wouldn't go that far as to say the interior is better than the 992
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #359
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not sad. They have a different purpose and I think appeal to a different audience.
Ok, good point. I think the fact that people try to compare them as if they were in the same class of car is sad.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #360
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, good point. I think the fact that people try to compare them as if they were in the same class of car is sad.
Yes. They are a totally different car aimed at a totally different audience.

I would be so embarrassed to be seen in the C8 that I'd have to wear a disguise whenever I went out in it. This would add too much to travel time.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      11-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #361
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

I would be so embarrassed to be seen in the C8 that I'd have to wear a disguise whenever I went out in it. This would add too much to travel time.
Why's that? Whats not to like?.. I dont agree that the audience is entirely different.. If you check the number one criteria as to why somebody buys an M2, it wont be fuel economy, and it wont be cargo room, and while it will carry four, it wont do so particularly comfortably.. Unless you require 4 seats, the main reason people buy the M2 is it has hot performance.. Which by the way, for a lesser price, youll get a hell of a lot more of in the C8. Oh.. And a nicer interior! Check the new Edmunds review

Last edited by boostm3; 11-24-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      11-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #362
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Why's that? Whats not to like?.. I dont agree that the audience is entirely different.. If you check the number one criteria as to why somebody buys an M2, it wont be fuel economy, and it wont be cargo room, and while it will carry four, it wont do so particularly comfortably.. Unless you require 4 seats, the main reason people buy the M2 is it has hot performance.. Which by the way, for a lesser price, youll get a hell of a lot more of in the C8. Oh.. And a nicer interior! Check the new Edmunds review

For me:

M2: A lot of fun to drive even at slower speeds. Seats four when required. Looks stylish but not over the top.

C8: Gauche.
Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      11-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #363
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I don’t know who really fits in the back of an M2. When I sat in the back, I was surprised I fit in my 135is but my head hit the back in the M2. Seats make a nice pallet for my computer bag though I guess.

Again....people think a German car is better because it’s German. M2 is nice but honestly it cannot compete with the C8 on any metric....except the back seat. Yay BMW wins lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #364
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you're worried about what people think you're better off in the C8... 98% of the general public will think it's far more special than an M2.

I like the M2 a lot, but gone are the days of writing off the vette with stereotypes. It looks to be an incredible machine, and I'm excited to drive it.

Btw- I'm one of the people who will cross shop m2/c8/gt350 for a weekend car. Right now leaning c8... just wish it came in manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:36 AM   #365
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsd View Post
If you're worried about what people think you're better off in the C8... 98% of the general public will think it's far more special than an M2.
I think this is precisely my point. The last reason I would want to buy a car is to appear "special".
Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
natmad667.00
BlkSVT388.50
      11-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #366
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

Curious but why? It's not like the car looks like a Civic Type R. It's got a few too many sharp angles but overall it looks like a much more expensive car than it actually is.
Appreciate 1
chris7197271.50
      11-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #367
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Curious but why? It's not like the car looks like a Civic Type R. It's got a few too many sharp angles but overall it looks like a much more expensive car than it actually is.
To some people the C8 shouts "Speed Racer" while the BMW gets the job done flyin' under the radar without being pretentious.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
Davil6332.00
BlkSVT388.50
      11-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #368
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Good video, thanks for posting. One thing really jumped out at me outside of the obvious (glorious V8 noises):

This thing pull 1.09g on Pilot Sport 4s tires. Do you have any idea how good the chassis has to be to do that? Of curse not having the weight on the front helps, but that thing has a skinny 245 section tire at the front. Speaks loads about the balance, which is one of my favorite things about the M2.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #369
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
I think this is precisely my point. The last reason I would want to buy a car is to appear "special".
Yeah, a large part of the appeal of the M2 for me is that it doesn't have particularly "shouty" styling. Not that there's anything wrong with liking stuff with "look at me" styling, it's just not for me.

If I run down the other reasons I wanted the M2C, some of them overlap with the vette, but most of them don't:

It's fast - The Corvette has this one covered and then some.

It has a rear seat, i'm 5'8" and I fit very comfortably back there. I'm Asian, my people are small, it's a usable back seat in my mind.

It has a manual transmission.

It's small - I live in the city and frequently have to parallel park.

It's playful - Of all the 400+ hp RWD cars out there, the M2C HAS to be the easiest car to briefly exceed the limits in. For a car that is mostly driven on the road, that's the kind playfulness I want - More than i'd want "perfectly balanced in a four wheel drift" type playfullness which, while SUPER cool on a track is not something i'd ever expect to experience on the street unless something has gone really wrong.

It feels nice, the interior and exterior build quality feel better than i'm used to coming from cheaper Japanese cars.

I think the C8 Vette is cool. But it really isn't the car I was looking for when I went out and bought my last car. I'm not saying I wouldn't own one, because I would, but it's far from the right car for me at this point in my life.
Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
Davil6332.00
BlkSVT388.50
      11-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #370
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Good video, thanks for posting. One thing really jumped out at me outside of the obvious (glorious V8 noises):

This thing pull 1.09g on Pilot Sport 4s tires. Do you have any idea how good the chassis has to be to do that? Of curse not having the weight on the front helps, but that thing has a skinny 245 section tire at the front. Speaks loads about the balance, which is one of my favorite things about the M2.
Even more impressive to me is how the non z51 which comes with high performance all season runflats (Pilot Sport All Season 4) pulls 1.0 g. .Thats just insane. These tires were developed specially for this car, and it shows. There is very little anybody can say against the tech that is in this car, the price, and the interior..
      11-27-2019, 03:59 AM   #371
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
For me:

M2: A lot of fun to drive even at slower speeds. Seats four when required. Looks stylish but not over the top.

C8: Gauche.
I doubt the M2 is more fun at slower speeds than the C8. The M2 is somewhat numb and docile at low speeds compared to dedicated sports cars.

I don't mean to hate on the M2 or anything, but the C8 is at another level except in rear seats.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      11-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #372
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I doubt the M2 is more fun at slower speeds than the C8. The M2 is somewhat numb and docile at low speeds compared to dedicated sports cars.

I don't mean to hate on the M2 or anything, but the C8 is at another level except in rear seats.
Yeah not an apples vs apples comparison really. Heck the M3/M4 in any trim isn't on the same level as the C8 as a performance car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #373
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Looking forward to the official times from the 'Ring. Sure sounds good though! Better than anything BMW I heard in a loooong time. Bring back V8s running full ethanol or something

Appreciate 0