BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs C8 Vette

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #45
TemjinX2
Major
469
Rep
1,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas,NV

iTrader: (0)

i've been studying the c8 transmission. it looks a longtidually mounted transmission with cross input shafts. Guess who makes a 7spd manual longtidually mounted transmission with cross input shafts for porsche. they could potentially source a manual from the zf 7speed that porsche uses in their 911s.

if not...i'm sure the aftermarket will find a way to adapt it for a conversion.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #46
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
CosmosMpower's Avatar
1851
Rep
3,639
Posts

Drives: F80, F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Frisco, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsbar View Post
Wait two yours and you'll be getting $10k off no problem. These will be relatively high volume cars. None of the faux exclusiveness of the M2.
Yep when C7Z06 came out people were paying ADM. A year later there were 5K discounts all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #47
boostm3
Major
boostm3's Avatar
573
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hartford County

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to boostm3
I don't know. First year production appears to be sold out already.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #48
medphysdave
Captain
United_States
717
Rep
946
Posts

Drives: M2 CS waiting list
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I don't know. First year production appears to be sold out already.
There are still some slots left. My wife wants me to put down a deposit. There are a few things I've seen in videos that raised an eyebrow. Probably need to see one in person, but by then they'll likely be on to 2021.

1. Perceived quality of turn signal stalks
2. Perceived quality of buttons
3. Sheet metal over plastic rear hatch

I'm concerned that it's like my Dyson vacuum cleaner. Fantastic motor that's housed in garbage. The vacuum flexes right in your hand if you twist the plastic handle. Functions great and does it's job, but could have been much nicer. At a higher cost of course.


It appears to be a lot of tech for the money. Definitely looks better than the M2 in my opinion, and will remain on my radar. I'm not willing to abandon the CS just yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #49
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1741
Rep
2,537
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I put my deposit in. It’s refundable. So if I change my mind later, no harm no foul. Pricing is supposed to come out in a few weeks and I probably won’t take delivery until next Fall.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #50
boostm3
Major
boostm3's Avatar
573
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hartford County

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to boostm3
Pricing will be 8/15 and production should start around the first of December. Media is reporting that first year production is already sold out, but I believe theyre using early online reservations and refundable deposits for early allocation spots, which arent exactly 'sales' so a bit of hype and smokeandmirrors going on. Still the fact that the guys at Rennlist and here even looking at the C8 let alone considering it or laying down deposits goes a long way toward supporting GM's move toward attracting a younger audience, seeing that the average age of Vette owners is 62. Im definitely interested but seeing that my M2 is not even 2 yrs old yet, I figure Ill let the early adopters be the beta testers for the first year or two, and then I'll probably take the leap.
__________________
Boostm3
'18 LBB MT M2 Exec pkg, Moonroof, Production 7/6/17
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:28 AM   #51
HawaiiShrimp
Enlisted Member
HawaiiShrimp's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2 (MT)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Kudos to GM for their bold attempt. However, I have concerns about sinking money into the c8:
1. 1st year model. It's a GM; it's gonna have issues to resolve.
2. Mid-engine layout (potential higher cost to service. Engine out = expensive labor cost)
3. No MT.
4. New DCT (no proof of reliability yet)
5. GS, Z06 are coming. Base model will drop in demand.
6. With the list of options, it's gonna be $70 - $75k
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #52
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
CosmosMpower's Avatar
1851
Rep
3,639
Posts

Drives: F80, F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Frisco, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I don't know. First year production appears to be sold out already.
Name any modern corvette in history that didn't end up getting heavily discounted in order to move units once the dust settled...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #53
boostm3
Major
boostm3's Avatar
573
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hartford County

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to boostm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Name any modern corvette in history that didn't end up getting heavily discounted in order to move units once the dust settled...
Im waiting for the second or third year.. There will be incremental price increases between now and then, but subsequent dealer discounts should offset most of those. But mainly, with a new architecture and a new transmission I want to see how they do in the wild for awhile before I purchase. Let others beta test; dont need to be part of the must-have-first crowd of early adopters.
__________________
Boostm3
'18 LBB MT M2 Exec pkg, Moonroof, Production 7/6/17
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #54
GoneIn4Secs
Major
Canada
642
Rep
1,117
Posts

Drives: '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: gta Canada

iTrader: (0)

No car that has no backseats can be considered 'practical'or anything other than a weekend car
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #55
boostm3
Major
boostm3's Avatar
573
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hartford County

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to boostm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
No car that has no backseats can be considered 'practical'or anything other than a weekend car
Practical for me is if it can hold a carry on luggage bag or my weekly groceries.. This is a most practical car!
__________________
Boostm3
'18 LBB MT M2 Exec pkg, Moonroof, Production 7/6/17
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #56
1mm2
Lieutenant
391
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern exposure

iTrader: (0)

The reliability risks are high in the first few years.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #57
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1741
Rep
2,537
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
The reliability risks are high in the first few years.
Based on what? I’ve purchased many first year cars and while a couple had minor issues like a radio problem or quirks, I’ve never really experienced major issues or anything the rose to their level of inducing a lemon buyback situation. I think today’s modeling, testing and development methods and technologies are pretty solid nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #58
1mm2
Lieutenant
391
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern exposure

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Based on what?
History.

You should spend some time on the corvette forum. Hell, they haven't even figured out how to fix their current auto transmissions, now they're using a brand new DCT. I would feel more comfortable after a few years of production before making my ruling.

PS: I may be biased as I have two friends with C7 GS autos that have had issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #59
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1741
Rep
2,537
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
History.

You should spend some time on the corvette forum. Hell, they haven't even figured out how to fix their current auto transmissions, now they're using a brand new DCT. I would feel more comfortable after a few years of production before making my ruling.

PS: I may be biased as I have two friends with C7 GS autos that have had issues.
I dunno, Iím driving around with one of those doomed automatics. So far so good. Not saying issues donít happen though. My Corvette is not first year though. I read the Corvette Forum almost daily. I take complaints online with a grain of salt since they amplify how bad the situation really is. There is a pretty long transmission thread though and I would say if you have a bad A8, it doesnít matter which year you bought one. And actually the first couple years Chevrolet used a six speed auto and no one had issues with it lol. I think they switched in 2016 (3rd year) to the A8.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #60
1mm2
Lieutenant
391
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern exposure

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I dunno, Iím driving around with one of those doomed automatics. So far so good. Not saying issues donít happen though. My Corvette is not first year though. I read the Corvette Forum almost daily. I take complaints online with a grain of salt since they amplify how bad the situation really is. There is a pretty long transmission thread though and I would say if you have a bad A8, it doesnít matter which year you bought one. And actually the first couple years Chevrolet used a six speed auto and no one had issues with it lol. I think they switched in 2016 (3rd year) to the A8.
You're correct about the 6 speed being durable, I'm just not willing to gamble with a bespoke DCT for the corvette for a few years. Can you imagine the techs working on these for the first time?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #61
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1741
Rep
2,537
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
You're correct about the 6 speed being durable, I'm just not willing to gamble with a bespoke DCT for the corvette for a few years. Can you imagine the techs working on these for the first time?
I hear you. Not every dealer can be certified to work on Corvettes.i believe I read somewhere that dealers who work on them have to get certified and make certain upgrades to their service centers.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:44 AM   #62
chris719
Colonel
1986
Rep
2,628
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
You're correct about the 6 speed being durable, I'm just not willing to gamble with a bespoke DCT for the corvette for a few years. Can you imagine the techs working on these for the first time?
GM has a pretty bad track record with automatic transmissions. I will say, the fact that it's sourced from Tremec makes me feel a bit better. They have had years to reverse engineer the Getrag units, so one would hope they got it right.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #63
1mm2
Lieutenant
391
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern exposure

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I hear you. Not every dealer can be certified to work on Corvettes.i believe I read somewhere that dealers who work on them have to get certified and make certain upgrades to their service centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
GM has a pretty bad track record with automatic transmissions. I will say, the fact that it's sourced from Tremec makes me feel a bit better. They have had years to reverse engineer the Getrag units, so one would hope they got it right.
I'm a big believer in "trust and verify".

If after a few years the cars prove to be somewhat reliable I will be looking at one for sure, maybe the GS when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #64
boostm3
Major
boostm3's Avatar
573
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hartford County

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to boostm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
I'm a big believer in "trust and verify".

If after a few years the cars prove to be somewhat reliable I will be looking at one for sure, maybe the GS when it comes out.
Im thinking maybe model year '21 or '22.. Should have an idea by then of its reliability. Also, by then, there's a better chance the Mag suspension will be extricated from its tight coupling with the Z51 pkg
__________________
Boostm3
'18 LBB MT M2 Exec pkg, Moonroof, Production 7/6/17
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #65
1mm2
Lieutenant
391
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern exposure

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Im thinking maybe model year '21 or '22.. Should have an idea by then of its reliability. Also, by then, there's a better chance the Mag suspension will be extricated from its tight coupling with the Z51 pkg
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #66
TemjinX2
Major
469
Rep
1,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas,NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Based on what? I’ve purchased many first year cars and while a couple had minor issues like a radio problem or quirks, I’ve never really experienced major issues or anything the rose to their level of inducing a lemon buyback situation. I think today’s modeling, testing and development methods and technologies are pretty solid nowadays.
he's probably talking about potential issues with the 48volt system and over the air updates. The rumors was the c8 was delayed by 6months because of the electrical issues with the 48volt system...thats why the c8 didn't debut in jan with the North American Auto show.

but GM in general has pretty good experience dealing with high voltage systems from their bolt/volt development.
Appreciate 1
c1pher1741.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST