BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Video: M2C vs. Civic Type R - Track Review (Throttle House)

05-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #67
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2RtoCT9Atof87 View Post
I get on the CTR boards and end up defending the M2.

I get on the M2 boards and end up defending the CTR.

As a car enthusiast, everyone needs to respect that the CTR is the best in its class (by far) and can punch well above its weight.
Absolutely. It's about respect as I said in my post directly above. The douches commenting and hating on Honda are the same ones who still roll around with the tri-color M stripes on their grille slats!

Again, I'd never buy a Type R over my BMW, but I'd sure as hell buy a S2000 if I came across a cream puff for a good price! Amazing track cars and more visceral to drive than anything BMW is making today.
      05-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #68
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Civic Type R is a great car. However, this is straight up insulting the M2C. You defn need to visit a psychologist if you are willing to spend ~$50,000 USD on a civic.

Last edited by Bobby P; 05-16-2019 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #69
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Watched it this AM. One is a 60K rwd sports car, one is a 40k garish econobox for the poors. What do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #70
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Who said anything about buying a Honda or Toyota? Check the profile. I own a BMW.

You guys are missing the point. The comments implying a Honda has no business being compared to another respected enthusiast brand because "it's a Honda" are totally ignorant. Show some respect!

Your amateur ignorance is on display as well by your comment, "with fantasy engines that never see the light of day on the road." The Civic Type R engine powers Formula 3 race cars and the K20 powers Formula 4 cars. So yes, their "real world" car engines are closer to racing pedigree than most are even aware of, including you.

Sheesh. Bunch of fucking amateurs commenting here.
Lmao if you are watching formula 3 and think Honda engines are good.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #71
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
A FWD 'Honda' being within a second of an M2C..

I can only wonder how a vanilla M2 would compare...?

Resale and reliability will favor the Honda, not to mention the cost of ownership being dramatically less than most any BMW, seems like a pretty solid car for the money.

Unless you're a badge whore, the CTR is a real threat.
You obviously don't know how much 1 second is on a short track like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #72
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post
I don't think putting these 2 cars against one another is farfetched. In my close group of friend, 2 of us have the M2 and 3 others have the type R, and we're all over 40yrs old.
I agree they are very different cars but some how it just turned out that way - Probably because they are 2 of the most fun cars to drive and best in their class... however, small that class is.
If you're over 40 and driving a civic...you failed at life.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #73
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Hrmm not sure what I think

I meant, do you want to have to look at the Type R every day? Even if it has great personality?

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #74
Linc0909
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc0909 View Post
Honda also makes lawnmowers....

Toyota is winning in NASCAR, should we all go buy a Camary over a BMW? Rather buy a car from a company that spends millions bettering their real world cars than one that wastes millions building fantasy cars with fantasy engines that never see the light of day on the road. But hey I hear the Type R got the Teretto letter of approval so you should see it at a Race Wars near you
Who said anything about buying a Honda or Toyota? Check the profile. I own a BMW.

You guys are missing the point. The comments implying a Honda has no business being compared to another respected enthusiast brand because "it's a Honda" are totally ignorant. Show some respect!

Your amateur ignorance is on display as well by your comment, "with fantasy engines that never see the light of day on the road." The Civic Type R engine powers Formula 3 race cars and the K20 powers Formula 4 cars. So yes, their "real world" car engines are closer to racing pedigree than most are even aware of, including you.

Sheesh. Bunch of fucking amateurs commenting here.
Yeah I'm sure Honda pulls their Formula 3 race engines off the Civic assembly line. So you're a professional Formula or Indy engine builder?

Boy I've been building engines probably since before you were in training wheels. So as far as amateurs, just because you read Indy Weekly don't make you any pro.

The point is, Honda is and always has been in a different league as BMW. Just because you put a quasi 'race' engine in a compact eco box doesn't make it a real world contender.

I worked for Infiniti back when they 1st got into Indy. Their engine was 'based' on the VH41DE engine, but put in the Indy car they were worlds apart. Dry sup oiling, piston cooling oilers, etc.

So calm down Ricky Bobby,
      05-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #75
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
Everyone who owns a CTR here saying throw out your ego and stop being a fanboi...

PLEASE GO CHECK OUT THE CTR FORUM. That'll show you what a fanboi is. They trash on the M2 much much more than we "trash" the R. The truth is the truth. FWD on a sports car is not a great recipe period. Why aren't Ferraris and Porschs and Lambos and Zondas FWD then?
There was a guy on the Civic X forums regarding a thread about "what car would you get for $60k" saying M2's are bad cars lol. I think the big eye opener is when you check out the Issues/Repairs?Warranty section threads. There is a lot of different problems with those cars. Everything from transmission grinding, various noises, fit and finish, paint, etc. A lot more than I'm used to seeing on any car forum. I don't think they are well put together cars. Great performers yes but arguably one of the worst put together cars you can buy today and poor quality has dogged the Swindon plant for some time which is likely one of the reasons Honda is moving hatchback manufacturing to the US for next generation as their reliability ratings have taken a beating.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #76
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

I'm over 40. I've owned over 15 different cars from a lot of different manufacturers. I have zero loyalty to a brand but my two favorites have been BMW and Honda. Back in 2000, I bought a Honda Civic Si with an astonishing 160 horsepower! It turned out to be one of the best purchases I ever made. Even though the power was nothing it was a blast to drive. I paid $16,500 for it brand new, drove it for 18 months, and sold it for $16,500. I can promise you that never happened again.

As far as the new CTR, the styling is just a little too boy racer for my taste. If it wasn't for that shortcoming, I would love to have a CTR.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #77
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
There was a guy on the Civic X forums regarding a thread about "what car would you get for $60k" saying M2's are bad cars lol. I think the big eye opener is when you check out the Issues/Repairs?Warranty section threads. There is a lot of different problems with those cars. Everything from transmission grinding, various noises, fit and finish, paint, etc. A lot more than I'm used to seeing on any car forum. I don't think they are well put together cars. Great performers yes but arguably one of the worst put together cars you can buy today and poor quality has dogged the Swindon plant for some time which is likely one of the reasons Honda is moving hatchback manufacturing to the US for next generation as their reliability ratings have taken a beating.
Yes, the japanese should really manufacture these high performance specialty cars themselves. The CTR is bizarre. Engine gets made in Ohio, gets shipped to swindon where it's all put together. Makes no sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #78
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

The Honda Civic Type R is an amazing vehicle that is incredibly capable.

I do not want the Honda Civic Type R and would never own one.

These concepts are not mutually exclusive and can exist in my head at the same time. There are lots of good cars I don't like. There are some bad cars I do like. That's how human beings work.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #79
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Two cars that would never be cross-shopped...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Two cars that should never be cross-shopped...
Fixed!

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2023.50
      05-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #80
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Lol good luck getting a CTR for MSRP. They're selling for 40k min across the country.

They really need to stop advertising the 36k price, you literally can't buy it for that due to dealer markup, and you can't order it directly from Honda thus 40k is what the price is.
Actually I found one for my son (which he paid for) at MSRP in Kansas City, MO. Only additonal cost was $195 Doc Fee and they threw in a 30 day Trip Permit, so we could drive it without registering it and paying taxes in MO. We drove it across 4 states before shipping it to Hawaii.

We were also next up at a dealer in Oregon for MSRP. This would have been our preferred state for pick up, however the wait would have been and additional two to three months. MSRP can be had, but you've got to do some work.

My son's Type R and my M2 are daily drivers (no track on the island we live on). From this perspective, our cars are very close in fun factor. M2 definitely on the straight line, but on our few tight mountain twisties, they're very close and both excellent. While I would not trade my M2 for the Type R, I find the shifter and clutch superior to my M2.
Appreciate 2
D22M21368.00
chrisk03153.00
      05-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #81
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Quote:
A FWD 'Honda' being within a second of an M2C..

I can only wonder how a vanilla M2 would compare...?

Resale and reliability will favor the Honda, not to mention the cost of ownership being dramatically less than most any BMW, seems like a pretty solid car for the money.

Unless you're a badge whore, the CTR is a real threat.
Let's just have a look here at this. Honda simply just sounds terrible, it is a reminder of a civic and vtec. End of day its a Honda.

BMW unless you owned a real M car the M-performance is not what I would call an M-car. Two different types of car even w heavy mods it cannot be had.

1 second a lap is pretty big for a short track. Do 10 laps and the gap will be even bigger. S55 is a pretty amazing motor and the M2 should be used w a DCT along w the Honda that would give true test. Manual is simply outdated.

Anyhow, No chance I would drop 45 K on a Honda. There are way better used track cars for the money. Only My opinion.
35k I would.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #82
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
It takes a little work, but you absolutely can get the CTR for MSRP...although close to impossible on the west coast. Fan of both Honda and BMW, and may pick up one of these two vehicles, but nuts to pay over MSRP for almost any car.
Since the west coast is the only place that matters, it's confirmed the CTR is a 40k+ car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #83
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

That guy doesn't know how to shift fast and properly. Anyway nice video.

If it was an M2C DCT it was >2s faster easily. Not kidding

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
Davil6333.50
      05-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #84
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
You obviously don't know how much 1 second is on a short track like that.
Basic BMW d-bag. Get help.

It was under a second and I'm cognizant of the meaning of the time difference, but most would go - less than a second. Breathe, it's okay.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #85
technik330
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPlasticDesign View Post
Everyone saying Honda "cheated" and the car was "Stripped" are being a little ignorant. Honda only took out enough weight to offset the weight added with the full cage which was a safety requirement. Putting it at production weight. If I had to choose between the CRT or M2, I'd probably change my mind 10 times in a week for various reasons. Stop being fanbois and be car enthusiasts. Peace.
Probably the best post of the thread, well said.

Personally, I wish the CTR was toned down (aero wise, maybe a little less plastic all over); looks aside it's quite an impressive car for the money.

I initially went from a '00 Honda Civic Si to an '05 BMW 330Ci ZHP and absolutely love Honda, still to this day. I just bought a '15 Civic Si to daily to and from my office.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #86
technik330
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Sadly, my BMW was the most unreliable car I've ever owned - selling it was the best day of my life; however, that doesn't mean all BMWs are unreliable. Making a judgement based off a forum is a fool's errand.
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      05-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #87
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Basic BMW d-bag. Get help.

It was under a second and I'm cognizant of the meaning of the time difference, but most would go - less than a second. Breathe, it's okay.
Go hit your vape pen and go back to the poverty subaru boards and review some flat brim hats, leave the track stuff for the adults.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50
      05-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #88
technik330
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Go hit your vape pen and go back to the poverty subaru boards and review some flat brim hats, leave the track stuff for the adults.
You drive a Prius, joking or not - the end.

I don't vape, my Type RA is a competent 'track car' and people like you continue to prove to be the cancer of the BMW community.

You've validated my initial comment and if I wanted another BMW, I'd have one.
Appreciate 0