BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > LED Adaptive Headlights w/ Variable Light Distribution (VLD) - High Beam Assist (HBA)

12-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #265
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
No, to activate GFHB, just remove the two crippling codes that blocks this feature on US-bound variants but don't change anything else related to the vehicle's region, such as "ECE."

Reason being is that here in North America, since we drive on the right side of the road, the left beam is electronically skewed slightly lower at times to avoid blinding uncoming traffic and the right beam higher, to show the driver the road and signs ahead and it's vice versa for countries that drive on the right side.

Changing the region would cause an undesirable effect and possible glare oncoming drivers.

Also, I want to mention that GFHB is very rudimentary in its operation is not an infallible feature. There might be slight glare here and there.

Even in the UK, where this feature is fully allowed stock, BMW was warned to not confuse the masses by referring to it as "GLARE FREE."

So a little light leakage is more a less naturally expected and not necessarily a hardware or coding fault.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new...-34878016.html
I actually wasn't talking about switching to UK.
I was thinking of switching the lights via VO from US to Europe.

Reasoning: hoping light output goes up (as in the US it is crippled).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:00 AM   #266
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharpFan View Post
I actually wasn't talking about switching to UK.
I was thinking of switching the lights via VO from US to Europe.

Reasoning: hoping light output goes up (as in the US it is crippled).

Changing the region from US-DOT to ECE would not alter the overall light output, per se, as in illumination volume, since its physically capped at 35 watts, regardless of the specific market.

However, US-spec adaptive lighting software is programmed to shine onto the lower half of the right side, in a more sublet operation and the ECE ones illuminate the upper half like 30% above the US cut off area, thus allowing it to be more liberal in its distribution of light, unto the targeted area.

So although the ECE VO would produce a more aggressive method of operation with adaptive lightening, I would not recommend it since the lower beam is electronically bias, left or right, based on the specific market.

Wikipedia on US SAE and ECE lighting:

"There are two different beam pattern and headlamp construction standards in use in the world: The ECE standard, which is allowed or required in virtually all industrialized countries except the United States, and the SAE standard that is mandatory only in the US. Japan formerly had bespoke lighting regulations similar to the US standards, but for the left side of the road.

However, Japan now adheres to the ECE standard. The differences between the SAE and ECE headlamp standards are primarily in the amount of glare permitted towards other drivers on low beam (SAE permits much more glare), the minimum amount of light required to be thrown straight down the road (SAE requires more), and the specific locations within the beam at which minimum and maximum light levels are specified.

ECE low beams are characterized by a distinct horizontal "cutoff" line at the top of the beam. Below the line is bright, and above is dark. On the side of the beam facing away from oncoming traffic (right in right-traffic countries, left in left-traffic countries), this cutoff sweeps or steps upward to direct light to road signs and pedestrians. SAE low beams may or may not have a cutoff, and if a cutoff is present, it may be of two different general types: VOL, which is conceptually similar to the ECE beam in that the cutoff is located at the top of the left side of the beam and aimed slightly below horizontal, or VOR, which has the cutoff at the top of the right side of the beam and aimed at the horizon.[3]"
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #267
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
... story ...[/B]
Thanks for your reply!
1)
Right, so it wouldn't help with the glare of people coming towards us.

HOWEVER, what if we were to switch the region of both the lights and the KAFAS camera. How would that work? Would that reduce the glare?

I would change my current VO location (US, don't know which value) to 'L801A', i.e. the German one, and then apply it to the FRM (well, the lights one) and the KAFAS2.

2)
I remember on my E88 I could go through each coding value and calculate if something would be enabled based on the car's options. E.g. I could see that if I were to switch to US region based on the calculation a certain setting would be set to 'true' (e.g. the blinking fog lights under hard braking).
Does that work in E-sys?

Poochie in case you didn't get a notification!

Last edited by TINY BMW; 12-09-2019 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0