BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins knocking

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Leonidm2
Private
38
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: bmwm2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ukraine

iTrader: (0)

Ohlins knocking

Hi all. I want to ask everyone who has Ohlins R/T who noticed the sounds at a low speed?I have a knock at a low speed, it appeared right after installation the next day when I drove out of the garage.We rechecked everything that was only possible, I even changed the top mounts under the guarantee, but all is useless.Bmw service said that it is knocking the front shock absorbers and that they have a backlash.I am very disappointed, I will shoot them and put back my own suspension.
P.s The installation is 100% correct, and everything was done according to the instructions.This is specific kit for bmw m2
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2414
Rep
41,727
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

No, never had any issues with noise on the Ohlins and we have been selling and installing Ohlins for 7-8 year now.

Most of the noise issue can be traced to a nut or bolt not properly torque to specs. There is always the possibility of a defective damper, but your local Ohlins dealer or distributor should be able to warranty it for you.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
12
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NY USA

iTrader: (0)

Could be spring bind

If you hear a popping sound when you are driving slow and go over a speed bump or over a big depression, the springs may be binding and releasing causing a popping sound. I have this issue and will install swift thrust plates to try and deal with it. Let us know if you find the cause of your issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #4
Leonidm2
Private
38
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: bmwm2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ukraine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
If you hear a popping sound when you are driving slow and go over a speed bump or over a big depression, the springs may be binding and releasing causing a popping sound. I have this issue and will install swift thrust plates to try and deal with it. Let us know if you find the cause of your issue.
ok I'll let you know, now they are sent to Ohlins for check
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
wolfbane1967
Private First Class
80
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Göteborg/Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
If you hear a popping sound when you are driving slow and go over a speed bump or over a big depression, the springs may be binding and releasing causing a popping sound. I have this issue and will install swift thrust plates to try and deal with it. Let us know if you find the cause of your issue.
What is thrust plates from Swift ?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2414
Rep
41,727
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbane1967 View Post
What is thrust plates from Swift ?

http://www.hpashop.com/Swift-Thrust-...?categoryId=-1
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
M-terkait
Major
M-terkait's Avatar
Kuwait
189
Rep
1,242
Posts

Drives: F30 335i 3/13
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (0)

I didn't have good luck with swift thrust plates and used http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...isolators.html
worked better, but it's thick so I couldn't use it on the bottom of the spring or it will be out of the seat.
__________________
Docrace 6266
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #8
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2414
Rep
41,727
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
I didn't have good luck with swift thrust plates and used http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...isolators.html
worked better, but it's thick so I couldn't use it on the bottom of the spring or it will be out of the seat.
Two different items for two different purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
M2taz
Private First Class
M2taz's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
Hi all. I want to ask everyone who has Ohlins R/T who noticed the sounds at a low speed?I have a knock at a low speed, it appeared right after installation the next day when I drove out of the garage.We rechecked everything that was only possible, I even changed the top mounts under the guarantee, but all is useless.Bmw service said that it is knocking the front shock absorbers and that they have a backlash.I am very disappointed, I will shoot them and put back my own suspension.
P.s The installation is 100% correct, and everything was done according to the instructions.This is specific kit for bmw m2
I'm having the same issue also. It's only in the fronts and seems more so on the passenger side. The installer also noticed it during a test drive so double checked that everything was tight. He said give it a bit to see if it went away, while also letting things settle. I think the rears came with thrust bearing/sheets, which he also commented on being odd since the fronts didn't. May need to order a set for the if this is the solution. Very annoying being the price of the Ohlins and the additional shop cost to get these corrected.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Leonidm2
Private
38
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: bmwm2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ukraine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
I'm having the same issue also. It's only in the fronts and seems more so on the passenger side. The installer also noticed it during a test drive so double checked that everything was tight. He said give it a bit to see if it went away, while also letting things settle. I think the rears came with thrust bearing/sheets, which he also commented on being odd since the fronts didn't. May need to order a set for the if this is the solution. Very annoying being the price of the Ohlins and the additional shop cost to get these corrected.
Ohlins sent me new front shock absorbers, I will test them. on the back I did not have problems
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
M2taz
Private First Class
M2taz's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
Ohlins sent me new front shock absorbers, I will test them. on the back I did not have problems
Keep us posted, maybe there's a bad batch?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
M2taz
Private First Class
M2taz's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
Keep us posted, maybe there's a bad batch?
After reading up more and some youtube video searches about noisy coilovers I went over the passenger side of the suspension and found the issue. It was a loose top lock nut. All better now and drives awesome through the canyons! Just needs a few minor adjustments to the ride hight now.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
Saanen
Private First Class
Saanen's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Berkeley, CA

iTrader: (0)

Glad to hear that it was just a loose nut...double entendre, ha....anyhow, I am lovin mine...still playing with different settings, was running 10 clicks for awhile, now going all the way soft at 17....5 clicks is absolutely race track mode....10 is canyons/ irregular surfaces 'spirited' driving...I'm thinking 17 is the setting for road trips with my wife.....just love being able to adjust it so easily!!!
__________________
2017 BMW M2 BSM 6spd with Fabspeed Sportcat, Dinantronics Stage 1, Dinan Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Ohlins R&T, ASD delete and BMS clutch stop!
2007 BMW 335i (sold); 1997 BMW E36 M3 (sold);
1988 BMW 535is (sold); 1984 BMW 323i Alpina (can't believe I sold),1969 BMW 2002 Ti (spec'd as Ti; and yes I sold this too...).
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #14
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2414
Rep
41,727
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
After reading up more and some youtube video searches about noisy coilovers I went over the passenger side of the suspension and found the issue. It was a loose top lock nut. All better now and drives awesome through the canyons! Just needs a few minor adjustments to the ride hight now.
Glad you fond it.

I mentioned that in post#2 above.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #15
M2taz
Private First Class
M2taz's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
Glad to hear that it was just a loose nut...double entendre, ha....anyhow, I am lovin mine...still playing with different settings, was running 10 clicks for awhile, now going all the way soft at 17....5 clicks is absolutely race track mode....10 is canyons/ irregular surfaces 'spirited' driving...I'm thinking 17 is the setting for road trips with my wife.....just love being able to adjust it so easily!!!
Yeah awesome stuff and I should have done them sooner! I'm sure everyone has watched this on here but rewatch on Amazon the first episode of The Grand Tour with the M2. You really see how the stock suspension dances around as it exits corners, when pushed hard (and not drifted). That's exactly what bothered me about the stock suspension and the Ohlins totally fixed!

Just in time for winter storage!
Appreciate 1
Saanen140.00

      12-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2414
Rep
41,727
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Thrust sheets from Swift are available for those with noise concerns that aren't related to the camber plates, top nuts or sway bar end links but rather the springs against the perches.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #17
MR RIZK
Captain
MR RIZK's Avatar
Australia
303
Rep
668
Posts

Drives: AW M2C
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
Ohlins sent me new front shock absorbers, I will test them. on the back I did not have problems
So what was the resolution? Did the new shocks fix it or was the issue traced to somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
Leonidm2
Private
38
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: bmwm2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ukraine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
So what was the resolution? Did the new shocks fix it or was the issue traced to somewhere else?
I decided to install them in the spring, then it will be clear if this sound is gone or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #19
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2414
Rep
41,727
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
I decided to install them in the spring, then it will be clear if this sound is gone or not.
Ohlins should know what is going on once they have that damper taken apart.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:05 AM   #20
RacletteMan
Private
53
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
I decided to install them in the spring, then it will be clear if this sound is gone or not.
Bumping this thread to see if there are any news ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:10 AM   #21
RacletteMan
Private
53
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Thrust sheets from Swift are available for those with noise concerns that aren't related to the camber plates, top nuts or sway bar end links but rather the springs against the perches.
Hello HP Autosport ! I have the Ohlins and I do have a clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel at low speed and when stationary. The shop checked all the bolts so do you reckon the noise I am hearing is the springs against the perches ? Is this noise present on all cars equipped with ohlins ? If so, I reckon thrust sheets should fix it but I would like to be sure before throwing more money at the problem.

Many thanks !
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #22
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2414
Rep
41,727
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacletteMan View Post
Hello HP Autosport ! I have the Ohlins and I do have a clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel at low speed and when stationary. The shop checked all the bolts so do you reckon the noise I am hearing is the springs against the perches ? Is this noise present on all cars equipped with ohlins ? If so, I reckon thrust sheets should fix it but I would like to be sure before throwing more money at the problem.

Many thanks !
Although we have not experienced that issue with past installations the spring against the perch could cause noise issues. Swift thrust sheets should take care of the issues.

Clicking is typically a strut mount bearing or sway bar endlink. We have even seen low mileage strut mounts fail because of the use of the plastic bearing races. The endlinks can also be at their maximum articulation with a lowered vehicle.
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST