BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Creaking Steering, clunking diff - manual

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #23
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
266
Rep
368
Posts

Drives: MY17 BSM M2
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Riverside, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sub'ing to this thread. My DCT made has been making a clunking sound for a few days now similar to what's described here but i didn't give it much thought until i read this thread. I'll drive it around and keep in mind and update when i can.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
silverlude
Private
23
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3MQP View Post
Any news from you guys? They are still working on a solution for my car... I think the problem gets even worse with more miles/km on the car.
No update on my side. The problem is not worse but still very annoying!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #25
srleadjb
Private First Class
srleadjb's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LA, calif

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
I have had an issue for the past five weeks, where turning the steering wheel any direction makes a loud creaking noise from the front left shock tower. I originally thought it was the steering boot rubbing, or something of that nature, but we pinpointed to the coilover assembly.

Also, as time goes on, I am starting to experience a significant differential or transmission clunking sound when letting go of the throttle in traffic. My E46 m3 with SMG transmission used to sound like this, but I only have 6,000 miles on this M2.


Curious to hear if anyone else has these issues?
I have the steering noise issue. Turn the wheel left to right and there is a obvious loud clicking noise.

It's at the dealer now. The shop foreman said that there is a BMW bulletin for this problem. The remedy is a shim behind the wheel bearings, I think....Something like that. But they did know about it.

Also having the M-Performance exhaust vibration looked at, in addition to the rear speaker deck that is rattling something fierce.

Great car but it seems to be coming "unglued" over time.....

I'll report back after getting car back from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #26
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
215
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: BSM M2
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stockholm

iTrader: (0)

I have the steering and "diff-clunk" issue. Steering I did not mind so much until other ppl here started highlighting it...the diff clunk tho...is the worst and most scary issue of them. Sounds like something is about to break down any minute...and as someone said, in sport+ its there all the time(lower gears)...

anyone got this fixed?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
silverlude
Private
23
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman View Post
I have the steering and "diff-clunk" issue. Steering I did not mind so much until other ppl here started highlighting it...the diff clunk tho...is the worst and most scary issue of them. Sounds like something is about to break down any minute...and as someone said, in sport+ its there all the time(lower gears)...

anyone got this fixed?
I just hit 6000 miles and I still have this issue, however not yet presented to the dealer since I don't want anyone to beat on my car. I'm reaching my limit however--so might be going next month.

I'm also curious if anyone like Z3MQP has had any resolution with BMW directly. It really is unacceptable--I just hope something breaks so they can replace my diff/driveshaft or whatever is causing the issue.
Appreciate 1
Z3MQP22.50

      08-22-2017, 02:33 AM   #28
mdriverSD
Enlisted Member
21
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M2 6MT LBB
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Wow I'm really glad I found this post on here. I am also having this same "clunk" issue with my 2016 M2. I hear it when I'm in first gear driving very slow 5mph, about to pull into my parking space in my subterranean parking garage. As soon as I push in the clutch I hear and feel the clunk coming from under the car. To me is sounds like its coming from the driveshaft. I've read a lot that this is normal for an M, but I don't know !!!

For an expensive new M car this seems concerning and bothersome.
Appreciate 1
reppucci333.00

      08-25-2017, 05:11 AM   #29
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
StephanieDiane's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 M2
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriverSD View Post
Wow I'm really glad I found this post on here. I am also having this same "clunk" issue with my 2016 M2. I hear it when I'm in first gear driving very slow 5mph, about to pull into my parking space in my subterranean parking garage. As soon as I push in the clutch I hear and feel the clunk coming from under the car. To me is sounds like its coming from the driveshaft. I've read a lot that this is normal for an M, but I don't know !!!

For an expensive new M car this seems concerning and bothersome.
Similar issue. I hear/feel a clunk under 5 mph just before coming to a stop. It isn't consistent. I'm at almost 800 miles and it started about a week ago. My clunk feels like it's more towards the front than rear. I have a DCT.
Does anyone have answers yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #30
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
termigni's Avatar
United_States
1046
Rep
1,774
Posts

Drives: S2000, X6,M2, Model3, 911
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just to throw it in here, differential clunk was very normal thing for E46 M3.
__________________
2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:34 PM   #31
srswans
Private
25
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 M-DCT LBB
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Repack Front Wheel Bearings

See my post: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=21
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #32
reppucci
First Lieutenant
333
Rep
310
Posts

Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Western CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
Just to throw it in here, differential clunk was very normal thing for E46 M3.
I also have a "diff clunk" but I am not sure if it really is a differential clunk because I had the rear diff replaced under recall last year, my car is a May 2016 build, ...I was hoping it would solve the clunk but it is still there!

That makes me think it might be drivetrain and not diff unless the new diff was installed with improperly torqued bolts??? !

I noticed my clunk day 1 when driving home from dealership. Usually at slow speeds lazily changing gears or otherwise softly loading unloading the drivetrain. Curiously if I get on the car there is no clunk!

I only have 1600 miles on the car... it goes back for the replacement diff oil/fluid change service at 2200 miles and will have the service folks look at the "clunk" then.

I do not have the steering noise.

to termigni....I agree it is similar the E46 diff clunk, I also have a similar clunk in my e36's, but I would have expected that after 20 years BMW would have figured how to remove the 'clunk' from their M-diffs!
Appreciate 1
termigni1046.00

      08-29-2017, 03:34 AM   #33
cookiesowns
;)
cookiesowns's Avatar
Taiwan
422
Rep
752
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT, 535i N54, X3 N55
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Pretty sure the diff clunk / gearbox slack is normal. The M2 barely has any sound isolation and most of the bushings and rear subframe are direct / solid mounted.

I’d be more concerned if the clunk / rattle comes with clutch slip as it could mean your clutch isn’t adjusting properly.
Appreciate 1
reppucci333.00

      08-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #34
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
termigni's Avatar
United_States
1046
Rep
1,774
Posts

Drives: S2000, X6,M2, Model3, 911
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppucci View Post
I also have a "diff clunk" but I am not sure if it really is a differential clunk because I had the rear diff replaced under recall last year, my car is a May 2016 build, ...I was hoping it would solve the clunk but it is still there!

That makes me think it might be drivetrain and not diff unless the new diff was installed with improperly torqued bolts??? !

I noticed my clunk day 1 when driving home from dealership. Usually at slow speeds lazily changing gears or otherwise softly loading unloading the drivetrain. Curiously if I get on the car there is no clunk!

I only have 1600 miles on the car... it goes back for the replacement diff oil/fluid change service at 2200 miles and will have the service folks look at the "clunk" then.

I do not have the steering noise.

to termigni....I agree it is similar the E46 diff clunk, I also have a similar clunk in my e36's, but I would have expected that after 20 years BMW would have figured how to remove the 'clunk' from their M-diffs!
agreed, there isn't this much drivetrain noise even in exotics (new ones).
__________________
2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #35
msi200
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
14
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

I also have the differential clunk. It happens every time I depress the clutch while driving slowly in 1st or 2nd gear.

I haven't taken it to the dealership yet, but the manual says such noises are normal "because it is a high performance car"
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #36
silverlude
Private
23
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msi200 View Post
I also have the differential clunk. It happens every time I depress the clutch while driving slowly in 1st or 2nd gear.

I haven't taken it to the dealership yet, but the manual says such noises are normal "because it is a high performance car"
To me at low speeds low gears that's always been expected.

It's the higher speed 45-55mph clunk when in 5th gear that worries me. The depress/repress of the accelerator alone demonstrates it around 2500rpm. Gives me shivers every time. I keep hoping beating on it will make it worse, but it's pretty much stable...and needless to say annoying. I think I will bring to dealership in October when I get back from a trip.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #37
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
switlikbob's Avatar
United_States
318
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

I am getting what I feel like is some kind of clunk in the rear from day one on my '17 M2.
I had a bad u-joint in my e39 M5, and it sounds just like that.
Unlike most of you guys, I am able to reproduce my clunk on the highway.
If I'm in 5th gear at say 4-5k rpm (Sport +), and I left off the gas, then step on it half way, I get the clunk. It's when the drive-line loads up quickly, it clunks.

I told the dealer about it at the 1200 mile service. They could not reproduce it.
Now that I know how to reproduce it, I plan on following up wit them for a solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:36 AM   #38
Z3MQP
New Member
Z3MQP's Avatar
23
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: Z3 M Coupé, M2, F11, e30 325i
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Hi gents,

I have an update regarding the clunk issue of my 2017 M2 with 6 MT.

As I told you the clunk noise came on the Highway in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. Mostly between 80 km/h and 130 km/h in modes "Sport" and ""Sport+".

I had the clunk EVERY time when I left the throttle, also when I drove like daisy duck.

BMW in Munich took my complaint very serious and did some tests. After some month they gave my the final judgement that this clunking is normal for M cars!

I was quite upset and activated my lawyer.

And the end, my local BMW Dealer did me a favour and bought my car for a good price back. The local Dealer was on my side during the hole process. Thanks to them I could save a long long law suit with big BMW.

I´m not sure about my future fidelity with BMW and M cars now...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #39
SD ///M3
Brigadier General
SD ///M3's Avatar
United_States
6692
Rep
4,725
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South Dakota

iTrader: (0)

My '18 M3 clunks at low speed 1-2 gear changes and parking lot maneuvers. Most of what I read points to it being normal for M cars. :
__________________
Here until my lease ends
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:36 AM   #40
18EM2
Public Last Class
18EM2's Avatar
United_States
97
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
My '18 M3 clunks at low speed 1-2 gear changes and parking lot maneuvers. Most of what I read points to it being normal for M cars. :
As mentioned above the lack of sound deadening and solid mounting of the drivetrain for a more direct response makes the noises sound louder than other cars. The active diff is constantly manipulating the power output based on steering angle and throttle input which adds to the noises and clunks.

The best solution is to get a louder exhaust or turn up the music
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #41
GregoryK
Captain
GregoryK's Avatar
Canada
431
Rep
765
Posts

Drives: M2 '18
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'm sound deadening my whole rear. I love to drive but am not interested in during in the engine bay or riding on the diff.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #42
TampaF87
Private First Class
74
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Drivetrain clunk during unload/load scenarios are 100% normal for a car with solid mounts. I understand that a lot of people are unable to accept that an expensive car does this, but you literally bought the most stripped down modern BMW with solid mounts and all the accoutrements of a purpose-built track car with a little polish and comfort. Not to be heavy-handed here, but you made the wrong choice of car. The brochure told you all of these things. Noise, handling and vibration ALWAYS goes up when you make the choice for performance over luxury. Comparing this to exotics is apples to vegetables (not even oranges). The materials and entire drivetrain layout are immensely different. Most exotics don't have solid mounts, they just have better engineered (more expensive) mounts that provide the best of both worlds. My 2018 LCI 6MT does this. My s2000 did this when it had solid mounts. My 1993 RX7 with solid mounts and dog cut gears did this. My 2013 FR-S did this. There's always concessions made when you purchase a car that's more at home on the track than the street, and this is no exception. Sorry that your M-car, which is probably the truest testament to that name in a decade, behaved like an M-car.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to to say the dreaded dealer response, "It's a sports car, it's supposed to do that," when it actually is the right response.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #43
SD ///M3
Brigadier General
SD ///M3's Avatar
United_States
6692
Rep
4,725
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South Dakota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
Drivetrain clunk during unload/load scenarios are 100% normal for a car with solid mounts. I understand that a lot of people are unable to accept that an expensive car does this, but you literally bought the most stripped down modern BMW with solid mounts and all the accoutrements of a purpose-built track car with a little polish and comfort. Not to be heavy-handed here, but you made the wrong choice of car. The brochure told you all of these things. Noise, handling and vibration ALWAYS goes up when you make the choice for performance over luxury. Comparing this to exotics is apples to vegetables (not even oranges). The materials and entire drivetrain layout are immensely different. Most exotics don't have solid mounts, they just have better engineered (more expensive) mounts that provide the best of both worlds. My 2018 LCI 6MT does this. My s2000 did this when it had solid mounts. My 1993 RX7 with solid mounts and dog cut gears did this. My 2013 FR-S did this. There's always concessions made when you purchase a car that's more at home on the track than the street, and this is no exception. Sorry that your M-car, which is probably the truest testament to that name in a decade, behaved like an M-car.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to to say the dreaded dealer response, "It's a sports car, it's supposed to do that," when it actually is the right response.
The problem is knowing what's a normal noise from an abnormal noise for those of us who haven't driven track-purposed cars all their lives. I'd argue actually that the M3/4 aren't really track purposed sports cars. More like track capable daily drivers.
__________________
Here until my lease ends
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #44
TampaF87
Private First Class
74
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
The problem is knowing what's a normal noise from an abnormal noise for those of us who haven't driven track-purposed cars all their lives. I'd argue actually that the M3/4 aren't really track purposed sports cars. More like track capable daily drivers.
I totally understand that, and it's legitimate to be concerned or to be uneasy about noises you are unfamiliar with.


But to stamp your feat and declare that you'll never buy another M car and criticize the manufacturer for somehow pulling the veil over your eyes, I think is reminiscent of a temper tantrum. I can appreciate that everyone is entitled to their own view, but I find it hard to be believe that it could be that serious. If it was that big of a deal, wouldn't it behoove you to do more research before dropping ~60k?

My M2 has done it since day one, so it's not something that eventually developed. I honestly don't know how more people haven't noticed this. I can appreciate that driving with clunks and bangs can be undesirable for many. I just don't think it's worthy of the dissent against BMW assuming its a flaw.

Edit: this was in reference to the M2, not the M3/M4. Less of virtually every creature comfort than the M3/M4. No doubt the M2 is the least refined M car in the lineup, and one geared more to enthusiasts.

Last edited by TampaF87; 04-16-2018 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST