BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ///M Performance Parts for the M2 - Parts numbers

03-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #89
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

There is some info regarding the coding and fitment of the parts in the installation PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf eba_nachruestsatz_aerodynamik_m2.pdf (545.1 KB, 2417 views)
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #90
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
There is some info regarding the coding and fitment of the parts in the installation PDF.
Interesting. Added to the first post of this thread.

That document indicates that - for all M Performance parts dealt with in that document - coding is only required if installing the diffusor.
      03-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #91
Artemis
Rep

M Performance rear spoiler (M235i + M2)

Got a PM with the following question from a forum fellow:
"To your knowledge, is there any aero data out there on the carbon rear spoiler when installed on a 2 series/M2 ?
Just concerned if rear drag might induce front lift. I used to run 80's to 90's Porsches and there was data the showed adding the rear spoiler without also adding the front one produced severe front end lift above 80mph.
Thanks"
To my knowledge, no detailed information has been made public at this stage. However, maybe the excerpts indicated below may be of any help.

- The BMW Parts Catalogue shows M Performance Parts and indicates the requirement of also getting the front bumper winglets when opting for the rear spoiler (see here - to access: see here):
Rear spoiler, Carbon (part # 51 62 2 334 541)
only in conjunction with
- Adhesive 1K (Betalink K1)
- Front attachment, carbon, right (= front bumper winglet - right hand side)
- Front attachment, carbon, left (= front bumper winglet - left hand side)
- M2 Press Kit, pages 14-15 (see here):
"The large front apron with trapezoidal blades and the Air Curtains in the outer air intakes recall the type of protruding spoilers that have been a familiar sight in motor sport down the years. For the BMW M2 they were inspired in particular by the BMW 3.0 CSL touring car racer. However, the large blades are not only a nod to the past. Form follows function is the message here, so as well as underlining the wide track of the new BMW M2 they divert part of the airflow through the wheel arches, while the Air Curtains guide the air effectively past the wheels. These two features work together to reduce air turbulence around the front wheel arches, cutting drag in the process.
Moreover, the large air intakes cover the immense cooling air requirements of the high-performance engine. Thanks to the careful channelling of the airflow around and through elements of the car, drag has been reduced by five per cent compared with the BMW 2 Series Coupe, despite the M2’s stronger cooling performance. The aerodynamic measures have also reduced lift by 35 per cent and significantly improved aerodynamic balance at higher speeds."
- M2 Technical Training, pages 10, 14 and 15 (see here):
"BUMPER, FRONT
An M-specific front bumper panel is used on the F87 BMW M2. This features flaps at the bottom to reduce lift at the front axle. [...]
REAR SPOILER/GURNEY FLAP
A Gurney is an aerodynamic component and functions as a tear-off edge. The Gurney was so-called after a former Formula 1 driver. The Gurney reduces drag at the rear axle and contributes to the optimization of the driving dynamics.
UNDERBODY
The underbody is fully panelled as part of the aerodynamic concept of the F87 BMW M2 in order to reduce and uniformly distribute the lift at the front and rear axles. This highlights and optimizes the driving dynamics concept, particularly at higher speeds. The underbody panelling was adapted in terms of the cooling and flow around and through the drive components and chassis and suspension components, without compromising the aerodynamic concept."
- Interview with BMW representatives about M2 M Performance Parts (source: here):
"Q: Are the front bumper winglets and and rear wheel winglets functional?
A: The front ones, yes, and the rear ones add downforce and stability, but it’s marginal. In general, we’re not going to create air elements that will upset the balance of the car. They’re all functional in some respect, which is why we’ll say that you can only pair a front splitter with the rear spoiler so you don’t upset the balance of the car. There’s no purely cosmetic aero element on an M vehicle. They all serve a purpose, some more than others.
Q: You mentioned a front splitter, will one to be offered on the M2?
A: No. At the moment, there are no plans for a front splitter."
      03-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #92
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I had read that too in the flyer:
"Beim Verbau des Heckdiffusors Carbon an Fahrzeugen mit Komfortzugang (SA 322) kann die Teilfunktion Smart Opener nicht mehr verwendet werden."
(= "By installation of the CF diffusor onto vehicles featuring Comfort Access (part # 322) the Smart Opener function can no longer be used.")
AFAIK the 'Smart Opener' function is not available on the M2, so no fuss.

However - and here's the catch - a forum fellow pointed out in a PM to me that, according to his BMW dealer, because of the non-existent 'Smart Opener' feature to be coded out + "modified aerodynamics due to the diffusor change", he is required by BMW to perform some software coding which will cost 179.08 EUR (148.00 EUR + 21% VAT) (that's almost $180).

So keep in mind that the diffusor costs more than just its price if you ask your BMW dealer to fit it: you got to add the installation cost + the mandatory software coding cost too. Splash the cash on some diffusor love...

Please also note that, if you get the M2 M Performance steering wheel:
  • lost: heated steering wheel (option 248); if you want to experience the heated steering wheel function again, you gotta retrofit the original steering wheel;
  • still functions: 'BMW Lane Departure Warning' (vibration) of the 'Driving Assistant' (option 5AS); the vibration engine is transferred (in)to the M Performance steering wheel.
What? If we have the dealer install the diffuser we have to pay them to code out a feature that we don't have in the first place?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #93
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Interesting. Added to the first post of this thread.

That document indicates that - for all M Performance parts dealt with in that document - coding is only required if installing the diffusor.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #94
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Artemis

From German price list (link)

Last edited by swagon; 03-05-2016 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: new info
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #95
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Artemis
From German price list (link)
So far I found no confirmation that the "Comfort Access" feature of the M2 also includes the "Smart Opener" feature.

As you know, 'Comfort Access' allows you to open/close both doors and bootlid + close sunroof, without requiring to push the key fob.

The German M2 price list specifies indeed 'bootlid' (Heckklappe): the possibility to open the bootlid with a touch. However, if it would equally include the "Smart Opener" feature (requiring the 'kick' movement), it would be indicated.

It seems that the author(s) of the M2 Performance aerodynamic parts installation guide, copied text from the M4 installation guide.

"Smart Opener" on a 3er:

03-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #96
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
What? If we have the dealer install the diffuser we have to pay them to code out a feature that we don't have in the first place?
Nuance: it seems that coding out the (unavailable) 'Smart Opener' function is only one of the two reasons, the other being the modified aerodynamics (M2 stock diffusor v. M2 M Performance diffusor).

Installation guide - Page 16:
Name:  M2_MPP_Aerdynamics.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  72.9 KB
      03-06-2016, 03:59 AM   #97
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep

And that's what you see and read on the configuration page of the M2 and the 3 Series about the Comfort Access. A rather clear and distinct difference.

Last edited by Pol; 03-28-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:39 AM   #98
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Yeah, makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification. I just thought that all new BMW's with CA had the Smart Open feature.

I cannot find Smart Opener in ETK either so I guess Luc is right in that they have just Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V'd the F82 instructions.
      03-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #99
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
I had read that too in the flyer:
"Beim Verbau des Heckdiffusors Carbon an Fahrzeugen mit Komfortzugang (SA 322) kann die Teilfunktion Smart Opener nicht mehr verwendet werden."
(= "By installation of the CF diffusor onto vehicles featuring Comfort Access (part # 322) the Smart Opener function can no longer be used.")
AFAIK the 'Smart Opener' function is not available on the M2, so no fuss.

However - and here's the catch - a forum fellow pointed out in a PM to me that, according to his BMW dealer, because of the non-existent 'Smart Opener' feature to be coded out + "modified aerodynamics due to the diffusor change", he is required by BMW to perform some software coding which will cost 179.08 EUR (148.00 EUR + 21% VAT) (that's almost $180).

So keep in mind that the diffusor costs more than just its price if you ask your BMW dealer to fit it: you got to add the installation cost + the mandatory software coding cost too. Splash the cash on some diffusor love...

Please also note that, if you get the M2 M Performance steering wheel:
  • lost: heated steering wheel (option 248); if you want to experience the heated steering wheel function again, you gotta retrofit the original steering wheel;
  • still functions: 'BMW Lane Departure Warning' (vibration) of the 'Driving Assistant' (option 5AS); the vibration engine is transferred (in)to the M Performance steering wheel.
The only thing my dealer will fit is the rear spoiler because it needs to be glued on. The rest I do myself I normally do a lot of changes on my own cars. I did carkit, exhaust and suspension on my MINI, and a lot of other stuff on my 135i. Let's see what happens if you do not do the coding I wonder if you fit another aftermarket diffuser. They do not offer a software change

MR

Last edited by MR.; 03-06-2016 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:58 AM   #100
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got a PM with the following question from a forum fellow:
"To your knowledge, is there any aero data out there on the carbon rear spoiler when installed on a 2 series/M2 ?
Just concerned if rear drag might induce front lift. I used to run 80's to 90's Porsches and there was data the showed adding the rear spoiler without also adding the front one produced severe front end lift above 80mph.
Thanks"
To my knowledge, no detailed information has been made public at this stage. However, maybe the excerpts indicated below may be of any help.

- The BMW Parts Catalogue shows M Performance Parts and indicates the requirement of also getting the front bumper winglets when opting for the rear spoiler (see here - to access: see here):
Rear spoiler, Carbon (part # 51 62 2 334 541)
only in conjunction with
- Adhesive 1K (Betalink K1)
- Front attachment, carbon, right (= front bumper winglet - right hand side)
- Front attachment, carbon, left (= front bumper winglet - left hand side)
- M2 Press Kit, pages 14-15 (see here):
"The large front apron with trapezoidal blades and the Air Curtains in the outer air intakes recall the type of protruding spoilers that have been a familiar sight in motor sport down the years. For the BMW M2 they were inspired in particular by the BMW 3.0 CSL touring car racer. However, the large blades are not only a nod to the past. Form follows function is the message here, so as well as underlining the wide track of the new BMW M2 they divert part of the airflow through the wheel arches, while the Air Curtains guide the air effectively past the wheels. These two features work together to reduce air turbulence around the front wheel arches, cutting drag in the process.
Moreover, the large air intakes cover the immense cooling air requirements of the high-performance engine. Thanks to the careful channelling of the airflow around and through elements of the car, drag has been reduced by five per cent compared with the BMW 2 Series Coupe, despite the M2’s stronger cooling performance. The aerodynamic measures have also reduced lift by 35 per cent and significantly improved aerodynamic balance at higher speeds."
- M2 Technical Training, pages 10, 14 and 15 (see here):
"BUMPER, FRONT
An M-specific front bumper panel is used on the F87 BMW M2. This features flaps at the bottom to reduce lift at the front axle. [...]
REAR SPOILER/GURNEY FLAP
A Gurney is an aerodynamic component and functions as a tear-off edge. The Gurney was so-called after a former Formula 1 driver. The Gurney reduces drag at the rear axle and contributes to the optimization of the driving dynamics.
UNDERBODY
The underbody is fully panelled as part of the aerodynamic concept of the F87 BMW M2 in order to reduce and uniformly distribute the lift at the front and rear axles. This highlights and optimizes the driving dynamics concept, particularly at higher speeds. The underbody panelling was adapted in terms of the cooling and flow around and through the drive components and chassis and suspension components, without compromising the aerodynamic concept."
- Interview with BMW representatives about M2 M Performance Parts (source: here):
"Q: Are the front bumper winglets and and rear wheel winglets functional?
A: The front ones, yes, and the rear ones add downforce and stability, but it’s marginal. In general, we’re not going to create air elements that will upset the balance of the car. They’re all functional in some respect, which is why we’ll say that you can only pair a front splitter with the rear spoiler so you don’t upset the balance of the car. There’s no purely cosmetic aero element on an M vehicle. They all serve a purpose, some more than others.
Q: You mentioned a front splitter, will one to be offered on the M2?
A: No. At the moment, there are no plans for a front splitter."
That is freaking annoying! So you have to take the front parts with the rear spoiler. Since when is that necessary? Did we ever see that on a M235i?

It is pretty fucked to fit those front things. You are going to break them in any parking lot or speed bump, especially if you fit a different lower suspension.

I wonder what a dealer will do with this. Those front and side things are like 900 EUR for a pair. This is not cool at all!!

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #101
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep

I wonder if one really needs "a different lower suspension" ?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #102
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
That is freaking annoying! So you have to take the front parts with the rear spoiler. Since when is that necessary? Did we ever see that on a M235i?

It is pretty fucked to fit those front things. You are going to break them in any parking lot or speed bump, especially if you fit a different lower suspension.

I wonder what a dealer will do with this. Those front and side things are like 900 EUR for a pair. This is not cool at all!!

MR
They just want more money from you, that's all.

I am sure you will ever notice the "upset balance of the car" if you only fit the rear spoiler.
      03-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #103
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I wonder if one really needs "a different lower suspension" ?
No one needs new coilovers, no one needs a M2. But what we want is a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #104
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
No one needs new coilovers, no one needs a M2. But what we want is a different matter.
A personal choice indeed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #105
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
"I want an M2 with the ride height of a 320xd on shipping blocks." - said no one ever.
      03-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #106
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
"I want an M2 with the ride height of a 320xd on shipping blocks." - said no one ever.
The M2 isn't THAT bad with the stock suspension, but with that said my M Performance suspension is pre-ordered and is just waiting to be sent and installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #107
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The M2 isn't THAT bad with the stock suspension, but with that said my M Performance suspension is pre-ordered and is just waiting to be sent and installed.
Same here and it definitely becomes lower. I am first going to check if I can still enter my garage before I lower my car.

In all honesty you will not feel much difference if you only fit the spoiler. It is not a wing! And I am not going to drive five laps of the Ring at high speed every single week.

Only time when you might feel it is doing a topspeed run on the autobahn. Although I never felt anything when I had the spoiler on my 135i and took it to 300+ kmh.

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #108
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Read the manual and it is interesting to see that the wings front and rear are glued and connected to the car by special type of screws. You need the same glue as the rear wing to fit all four wings on the car. Also interesting to see the time they would require to fit them.

I am still worried that when you fit them, you hit the front one while parking or entering a parking garage, and the rear ones will be kicked off by someone who wants to vandalize your car. (Too much movement) I could also see some (lowered) M2 driving over a speed bump getting into problems with those wings positioned just in front of the rear wheels.

Another point is that they mention in the manual that the rear bumper has to be removed to remove the stock diffusor. I think you can do that without removing the bumper as long as you have enough space and long fingers.

There is no information in the manual what kind of changes or coding is required. You would expect the coding would be related to the damping setting between sport and normal. What else could they have to update?

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #109
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep

Plenty of speed bumps here too. One of the reasons why I didn't lower my 135i Coupé. With the stock suspension I never had problems on these silly things.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #110
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

I have 10 speed bumps just to get to my house from the road each and every day and a lot more in the city but I have never had any issues even with a lowered car. I don't slam my cars though.
Appreciate 0