BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What did you do to your M2C today?

12-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #1387
NEfan508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post

Here's an excellent video on exactly how to disconnect the battery and install the buttons, from start to finish.
Looks simple for (someone) handy but I know my limits, I'm like spongebob, fine dining and breathing, for me it's roofs and breathing, good @ nothing else...

Seriously, whatever I try I mess it up

Ceramic coat wheels. lol
Oil change @ home. towed to dealer
Mounting winter wheel set. Hand still hurts

Not knowing your limitations. Overestimating your ability to complete a project is just as dangerous as having too little confidence in your abilities. ...

I'm being honest, I'm jealous of all everyone's DYI projects

Thanks for the video link but I'm still going to let a shop do it for me, they also have a great recon dept
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2011.50

12-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #1388
atomsapple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2005 Tacoma, 765RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post

Here's an excellent video on exactly how to disconnect the battery and install the buttons, from start to finish.
Looks simple for (someone) handy but I know my limits, I'm like spongebob, fine dining and breathing, for me it's roofs and breathing, good @ nothing else...

Ceramic coat wheels. lol

Not knowing your limitations. Overestimating your ability to complete a project is just as dangerous as having too little confidence in your abilities. ...

Thanks for the video link but I'm still going to let a shop do it for me, they also have a great recon dept
I did this mod yesterday, it honestly was pretty straightforward.
Removing the airbag was comical. It was more work to lift the trunk liner to disconnect the battery.

I was a little nervous trying to depress the springs but once you feel the push back, the airbag almost falls out.
After that, one nut and you can carry the wheel inside where it's easier to keep track of screws.

There are a few small screws you'd have to remove, some awesome ways to manage that are to make a diagram on a piece of paper of the wheel and place the removed screws where you took them out.
You also can use a piece of tape turned over so the screws stick to them.

I attempted 5 mods this weekend on 2 cars and only accomplished 3. It sucks, but each time you learn a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #1389
Dav3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C DCT / Z4 M MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post

Ceramic coat wheels. lol

You're overthinking it man

- 9 people out of 10 would fuck up ceramic coating wheels, that's why we pay pro's with a lot of experience to do it

- Oil change at home is only easy with a lift, the appropriate tools and after seeing a professional do one in front of you.

- Installing new wheels is simple but hard work. More convenient to let someone else do it.

Just start with the simple stuff. 3M Adhesive Spoiler, Interior trim, simple coding with bimmercode, bigger screen replacement, diffuser, front splitter or side skirts, air panel intake, learning how to wash your car properly etc. etc.
Appreciate 1
///AVM157.00

12-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #1390
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
I did the open pore cf wheel cover and matte red M1/M2 buttons as my Friday evening treat.
If you don't mind me asking... do you have a link to where you bought that CF wheel cover?
It looks very sharp and I want to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #1391
Cannondale900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
If you don't mind me asking... do you have a link to where you bought that CF wheel cover?
It looks very sharp and I want to do the same.
32-30-2-413-480 is the part number. I did not pay for this part as it was part of my goodwill deal with BMW based on the issues I had with the car and the roadside assistance on my euro delivery.

If I were to buy the part, my local dealer gives me a great BMWCCA discount that often gets me on par with many online vendors. I'm happy to pay sales tax as the toll charge for establishing and maintaining this relationship with the local parts counter as they have helped me many times with parts for older cars where aftermarket or OEM options are vastly inferior to OE.

If I were to order via phone or online, I would look to Brian Keller at Sun Motor Cars, bmwdirectparts.com (Husker BMW) or getbmwparts.com (Silver Spring BMW). It looks like $325-$330 is the going price for this part.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #1392
AZ-Wildcat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

Installed the M Perf lip, looks amazing! Also, HS blends into the sky on these cloudy days
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      12-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #1393
leftcoastq
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Installed the M Perf lip, looks amazing! Also, HS blends into the sky on these cloudy days
How'd you end up getting the additional parts (fasteners etc.)? Order? And did you jack up the car?

Want this and have the diffuser, both of which I want to install myself, but am a rookie and want to make sure I have what I need.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #1394
Conissah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Unplugged the center speaker late last night. Transformed the entire sound system. Best mod ever, because it was freeeeeeee.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #1395
AZ-Wildcat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastq View Post
How'd you end up getting the additional parts (fasteners etc.)? Order? And did you jack up the car?

Want this and have the diffuser, both of which I want to install myself, but am a rookie and want to make sure I have what I need.
Ordered the lip from Sun Motors (great price and fast shipping), came with fasteners and adhesive (extra $30 for adhesive). Although we did not use the betalink adhesive, they recommended and used 3M tape to make things easier if lip needs to be removed. Apparently the betalink can get messy and is overkill for this part.

I took this into SV Bimmer in Santa Clara. I do not have a jack and have ZERO experience installing these items. Wasn't about to ruin my car or the CF lip, the charge was minimal and took them less than 45 minutes. Highly recommend this shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #1396
leftcoastq
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Ordered the lip from Sun Motors (great price and fast shipping), came with fasteners and adhesive (extra $30 for adhesive). Although we did not use the betalink adhesive, they recommended and used 3M tape to make things easier if lip needs to be removed. Apparently the betalink can get messy and is overkill for this part.

I took this into SV Bimmer in Santa Clara. I do not have a jack and have ZERO experience installing these items. Wasn't about to ruin my car or the CF lip, the charge was minimal and took them less than 45 minutes. Highly recommend this shop.
Haha damn! I also take my car to SV Bimmer! They are great and very fast. I was hoping to try to do it myself this time...

Would be great to see it in person if you are ever at the GGC CCA events/cars and coffee.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #1397
AZ-Wildcat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Haha damn! I also take my car to SV Bimmer! They are great and very fast. I was hoping to try to do it myself this time...

Would be great to see it in person if you are ever at the GGC CCA events/cars and coffee.
Send me PM for these events! I'll try and swing by
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #1398
atomsapple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2005 Tacoma, 765RS

Quote:
Quote:

Funny enough I'm looking for a South Bay shop to install some light mods if I don't do them myself.

Sounds like they are well recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 02:15 AM   #1399
_RS4_
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Unplugged the center speaker late last night. Transformed the entire sound system. Best mod ever, because it was freeeeeeee.
Could you explain the benefits of unplugging the center speaker?
Appreciate 1
ASAP2775.00

12-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #1400
cb804
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I'm curious to try this... doe the cover just pry off?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #1401
Conissah
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Could you explain the benefits of unplugging the center speaker?
On a couple of other threads, people mentioned how much better the sound system sounds without the center channel. I don't know enough about audio channels or sound systems, but I took the recommendation. If they were wrong, it was a waste of 5 minutes for me, so I figured I would give it a shot.

The sound system is WAY better with the center channel unplugged. There is more bass and voices are more clear. I say give it a shot, and if you like it better with the center speaker, just plug it back in. It's super easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
I'm curious to try this... doe the cover just pry off?
Yep. Pry up the 2 corners at the windshield first. When it is being installed, the cover has hooks at the back of it (closest to the screen) and they drop into place first, and then the front (windshield side) pops down into the dash. So for removal, just do the opposite, windshield side first, then pull forward and up and it comes out, easy peasy. The clips are very tight though, so just keep pulling until they pop out. Just work your way around and it'll come out fine. Then there are 3 torx screws holding in the speaker (not the tweeter), undo those and pull the speaker up. There are 2 small connectors in the speaker, one for the speaker and one for the tweeter, I unplugged the one that leads to the speaker and put the speaker back in and screwed it down. Done. Took me all of 5 minutes.

For everyone interested, here is the thread that I was talking about. In here, 'SEAT TIME RULES' linked me to a couple of other threads where they talk about making the sound system quality better. Eventually I will probably order the recommended front speaker upgrade, but for now I am happy with how the interior sounds. I do have the supplemental door seals on the way, which should help a bit with the noise isolation.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676167

Last edited by Conissah; 12-13-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
cb804771.00
_RS4_372.50

12-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #1402
AZ-Wildcat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomsapple View Post
Funny enough I'm looking for a South Bay shop to install some light mods if I don't do them myself.

Sounds like they are well recommended.
Yup, they are great and highly capable.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #1403
bri1042
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

The short answer on the center channel speaker question is this:

Music files and CD's are mostly recorded and played back from the media in stereo. There is no center channel. Creating a center channel from just Left and Right involves some heavy processing, compromises, and often just messes up the music. Dolby Surround, L7, and lots of other codecs create "surround with center channel" estimations to the best of each codec's capability, but the results are often questionable. Sometimes it's OK, and sometimes its not, depending on the track and the equipment.

The M2's HK system, along with the Hifi system in most BMW's, does not HAVE Dolby Surround or L7 processing. The amp is just doing a cheap Left-Right mush to try and produce "center" sounds. It's not a good thing. It destroys the original separation between the channels, makes the sound weird and muddy, and the only point to it is so that people get excited by the number of speakers their cars get, and don't notice how close they are sitting to one channel vs the other quite as much.

Pulling the center channel brings your audio system in sync with the number of channels that are actually being presented to it, resulting in clearer sound (but you probably will notice the shorter distance between you and one of the channels...left or right depending on what side you drive on).
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2011.50
Conissah651.50
_RS4_372.50

12-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #1404
_RS4_
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Got it. The only one to unplug is the speaker (mid range) and not the tweeter, right? (no.1 in the figure)

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #1405
Conissah
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Got it. The only one to unplug is the speaker (mid range) and not the tweeter, right? (no.1 in the figure)
Correct, #1. However, the tweeter is plugged into the speaker via a separate plug, so I'm like 99% positive the tweeter won't work either. Regardless, I just unplugged the 1 to the speaker, and left the one from the speaker to the tweeter. Although I guess if you wanted, you could remove it for some #weightsavings.

Also, my center cover doesn't look like that, nor is it that close to the windshield. Mine is a parallelogram directly behind the screen, but the speakers look identical. Depending on which cover you have, you can either consider or disregard what I said about pulling the cover off.

Note: I have no idea wtf #4 is...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #1406
_RS4_
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

The car in the figure is not a 2 series, it is a random picture just to show the speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #1407
bri1042
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

The real question is if, when my SO's ordered 530e arrives, if I'll sneak out to the garage and remove the center speaker without explaining the whole thing to him. He wouldn't spend the money on the HK upgrade, but ordered night vision. His car, his build, not mine. :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #1408
frosty2k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Put her away for the winter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2