BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > LED Bulb swap for NON-LCI Tails

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2018, 01:08 AM   #67
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
55
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray
Join Date: May 2018
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Great thread, thank you. Ordered the LED lights off Amazon. Looking forward to installing them!

Update: Installed! Super easy to do, inexpensive, and look great! My kind of mod. Thanks again ChrisK!

Last edited by 425M2; 07-02-2018 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
ChrisK3659.00

      11-03-2019, 05:03 AM   #68
lamh
New Member
Canada
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 BSM 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I own these and they work great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't think they require any coding to work. I coded them in anyway just to avoid hyperflash and error messages.

Has anyone tried the BA15S of the same brand (Tuincyn) for the tails?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0725VQZS3/..._zvQVDbV0VS6C0

I'm in Canada and they're easier to get so wondering if anyone has had any luck with them, with or without coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #69
andrewc89
Colonel
andrewc89's Avatar
United_States
6731
Rep
2,913
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 | 2015 328dx
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2017 M2  [5.00]
2015 328d xDrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamh View Post
Has anyone tried the BA15S of the same brand (Tuincyn) for the tails?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0725VQZS3/..._zvQVDbV0VS6C0

I'm in Canada and they're easier to get so wondering if anyone has had any luck with them, with or without coding.
No, but I've had the P21W's as front indicators in both my M2 and my 328 for over a year now and have had 0 issues. For $20 I would just give them a try and see. If the front indicators are solid quality I don't see why the same brand wouldn't make a good tail light bulb.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #70
mssVT98
Private First Class
mssVT98's Avatar
71
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
No, but I've had the P21W's as front indicators in both my M2 and my 328 for over a year now and have had 0 issues. For $20 I would just give them a try and see. If the front indicators are solid quality I don't see why the same brand wouldn't make a good tail light bulb.
Which P21W did you use for your fronts? It looks like there are 2 variations of Amber/yellow in the amazon listing - 1156BA and 1156BAU:

https://www.amazon.com/TUINCYN-Repla...ve&sr=1-2&th=1
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #71
tenkies
Private
United_States
31
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Which P21W did you use for your fronts? It looks like there are 2 variations of Amber/yellow in the amazon listing - 1156BA and 1156BAU:

https://www.amazon.com/TUINCYN-Repla...ve&sr=1-2&th=1
You want the 1156BAU. The posts on the stock bulb are not 180 across from each other. They are offset at 150
Appreciate 1
mssVT9870.50

      11-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #72
mssVT98
Private First Class
mssVT98's Avatar
71
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
You want the 1156BAU. The posts on the stock bulb are not 180 across from each other. They are offset at 150
Thanks! I guessed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #73
tenkies
Private
United_States
31
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Thanks! I guessed correctly.
Glad you got the right ones. Not to make things confusing but the rear tail bulbs are not the same a the fronts. I'm pretty sure the prongs are 180 version if you're looking to change those. Also make sure to change the bulb type to LED if you have bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #74
3t3p
Second Lieutenant
47
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

my rear lights are pretty dim when reversing, I usually upgrade my cars to LED just for more light when reversing in the dark.

Is this easy to achieve/get to the rear light cluster?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #75
tenkies
Private
United_States
31
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
my rear lights are pretty dim when reversing, I usually upgrade my cars to LED just for more light when reversing in the dark.

Is this easy to achieve/get to the rear light cluster?
It's not that bad. You could probably replace then in 30 min.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #76
mssVT98
Private First Class
mssVT98's Avatar
71
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
Glad you got the right ones. Not to make things confusing but the rear tail bulbs are not the same a the fronts. I'm pretty sure the prongs are 180 version if you're looking to change those. Also make sure to change the bulb type to LED if you have bimmercode
Yeah, for the tails I just got the ones listed by the OP of this thread, and then the 1156BAU for the fronts. Swapped everything, coded it to LED, all good. Hardest part was probably getting the back of the taillight off, since some of the clips were a little finicky and I didn't want to break any of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #77
mssVT98
Private First Class
mssVT98's Avatar
71
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
my rear lights are pretty dim when reversing, I usually upgrade my cars to LED just for more light when reversing in the dark.

Is this easy to achieve/get to the rear light cluster?
Yeah, getting the light cluster out was easy - just remove the two nuts, wiggle a bit to loosen it, then pull it straight out. Like I said above, the hardest part was probably getting the back of the taillight off, since some of the clips were a little finicky and I didn't want to break any of them. Ultimately I probably didn't need to worry - they don't have to move very far to unclip. I didn't even pull the wiring harness off, just swapped the bulbs and put everything back in.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #78
lamh
New Member
Canada
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 BSM 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
No, but I've had the P21W's as front indicators in both my M2 and my 328 for over a year now and have had 0 issues. For $20 I would just give them a try and see. If the front indicators are solid quality I don't see why the same brand wouldn't make a good tail light bulb.
thanks. I went ahead with replacing both fronts and tails and looks great. is coding necessary if I'm not getting any errors or hyperflashing or anything?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #79
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
316
Rep
1,642
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GEORGIA

iTrader: (0)

The issue with this is the cost. Each LED is $20.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST