BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Euro Delivery Warning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #23
Cannondale900
Private First Class
219
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Shit. I think I'll be leaving my front euro plate on forever now. Sorry to hear of this you guys. Good luck with the touch ups.
Appreciate 3
      12-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #24
Thescout13
Brigadier General
Thescout13's Avatar
United_States
2719
Rep
3,928
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 M3, '20 F87 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
Shit. I think I'll be leaving my front euro plate on forever now. Sorry to hear of this you guys. Good luck with the touch ups.
Lmao, especially you. I fear that will be the straw that broke the camel's back after your experience.
__________________
Wife's Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Upcoming ED: 2020 F87 M2C, LBB, ZEC, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #25
ROASTM
Private
United_States
24
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Lmao, especially you. I fear that will be the straw that broke the camel's back after your experience.
Hahaha, isn't that the truth. Do not remove that damn plate Cannondale.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #26
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
77
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (5)

I guess I got lucky with my small indent that I discovered after removing the tape and plate. I was very careful and it is obvious this was not done by me removing the plate. It looks like the bumper was stabbed with a very small flat head screwdriver. The indent did not line up with the tape line.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
ROASTM24.00

      12-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #27
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
283
Rep
548
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C 02 E46M3 2019 X3 M40
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Del Mar CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Yanking on the plate the adhesive WILL remove the clear coat and paint exposing just the black unpainted bumper cover. Especially on a new car with fresh paint.

Not disagreeing with you at all, just pointing out what would happen if you yank on that plate. That adhesive is strong stuff.
+ 1 I've always used 3m adhesive removal on all ED cars
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #28
ROASTM
Private
United_States
24
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRoman View Post
I guess I got lucky with my small indent that I discovered after removing the tape and plate. I was very careful and it is obvious this was not done by me removing the plate. It looks like the bumper was stabbed with a very small flat head screwdriver. The indent did not line up with the tape line.
Another one! If that was mine, I think I'd be able to get over it with some Dr. ColorChip, but it still makes me wonder what they are doing to these cars such that so many seem to have damage hidden behind the plate put on at the factory/Welt/wherever that takes place...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #29
Thescout13
Brigadier General
Thescout13's Avatar
United_States
2719
Rep
3,928
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 M3, '20 F87 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Yanking on the plate the adhesive WILL remove the clear coat and paint exposing just the black unpainted bumper cover. Especially on a new car with fresh paint.

Not disagreeing with you at all, just pointing out what would happen if you yank on that plate. That adhesive is strong stuff.
+ 1 I've always used 3m adhesive removal on all ED cars
That's what we used... and took our time with a fishing line and slowly removed the plate and this happened.
__________________
Wife's Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Upcoming ED: 2020 F87 M2C, LBB, ZEC, 6MT
Appreciate 1
ROASTM24.00

      12-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #30
ROASTM
Private
United_States
24
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
That's what we used... and took our time with a fishing line and slowly removed the plate and this happened.
Sorry to hear Scout - what are you planning as a remedy?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #31
Thescout13
Brigadier General
Thescout13's Avatar
United_States
2719
Rep
3,928
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 M3, '20 F87 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
That's what we used... and took our time with a fishing line and slowly removed the plate and this happened.
Sorry to hear Scout - what are you planning as a remedy?
Waiting to hear from the dealer. In the meantime, some touch up paint as they are both ~1/5 the size of a dime (twice the size of a bad rock chip) and finished the ceramic coating.

I absolutely love this car, so this doesn't sour the experience for me, and if the dealer doesn't do anything for me (I have lost a ton of faith in BMW customer service in recent years because of dealer networks bullshit), I think I'll live lol.
__________________
Wife's Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Upcoming ED: 2020 F87 M2C, LBB, ZEC, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #32
ROASTM
Private
United_States
24
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Waiting to hear from the dealer. In the meantime, some touch up paint as they are both ~1/5 the size of a dime (twice the size of a bad rock chip) and finished the ceramic coating.

I absolutely love this car, so this doesn't sour the experience for me, and if the dealer doesn't do anything for me (I have lost a ton of faith in BMW customer service in recent years because of dealer networks bullshit), I think I'll live lol.
I hear you, that's probably a good plan. I wish the damage to mine was a bit smaller such that I could live with it, but it's seemingly just big enough that some minor touch-up wouldn't be acceptable.

I too love the car, granted, have put about 13 miles on it since drop-off in Munich...

The dealer is offering to have my bumper refinished, with a plan to blend the respray about 6 inches to each side of the damage, solely painting the bumper. I had told them I would absolutely not accept there being any sort of blending into the metal panels on the car (diminished value), but I'm still not sure I'm OK with anything but a fresh OEM bumper - also not sure if I can pull that off - first world problems, but will post any updates as I hear more. Having the PPF installer finish the rest of my full wrap today (aside from the bumper )
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #33
Cannondale900
Private First Class
219
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
I was installing the Fall-Line oil cooler guard last night and where it met the front bumper cover was a little rough. As I was playing around with mating the guard to the back side of the bumper cover, the painted surface was flaking away easily. I don't know if it is because that part was just over spray or what but if the paint on the rest of the bumper cover is like that, I can totally see some paint coming off with the removal of the license plate tape.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #34
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
283
Rep
548
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C 02 E46M3 2019 X3 M40
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Del Mar CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
That's what we used... and took our time with a fishing line and slowly removed the plate and this happened.
Also i've used warm water before applying 3m. Sorry about that!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #35
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
303
Rep
468
Posts

Drives: e30 turbo
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: lake elsinore

iTrader: (0)

Side question to this, as I plan on doing ED for my next car. Would it be possible to bring one of those tow hook license plate holders with me and have the ED plate attached to that rather than the car so I can avoid this potential headache?
__________________
Present: Ford something
Past: M2 Mineral Grey 6MT
Past: BMW e30 m52 turbo 628whp/558wtq
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #36
ROASTM
Private
United_States
24
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Side question to this, as I plan on doing ED for my next car. Would it be possible to bring one of those tow hook license plate holders with me and have the ED plate attached to that rather than the car so I can avoid this potential headache?
I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, but would likely take a bit of coordination with your SA at the dealer and/or European Delivery contacts at the BMW NA/Corporate level.

I'm unsure if there are any laws about how/where the front plate needs to be mounted in Europe, but this seems like a decent alternative if they are able to accommodate. In either case, I'd request that they don't install the front ED plate on the car until you are in the process of taking delivery, so that you can inspect the front bumper cover before they'd mount it with 3M tape - again, not sure if they'd do this, but certainly worth a try!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #37
Thescout13
Brigadier General
Thescout13's Avatar
United_States
2719
Rep
3,928
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 M3, '20 F87 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Side question to this, as I plan on doing ED for my next car. Would it be possible to bring one of those tow hook license plate holders with me and have the ED plate attached to that rather than the car so I can avoid this potential headache?
I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, but would likely take a bit of coordination with your SA at the dealer and/or European Delivery contacts at the BMW NA/Corporate level.

I'm unsure if there are any laws about how/where the front plate needs to be mounted in Europe, but this seems like a decent alternative if they are able to accommodate. In either case, I'd request that they don't install the front ED plate on the car until you are in the process of taking delivery, so that you can inspect the front bumper cover before they'd mount it with 3M tape - again, not sure if they'd do this, but certainly worth a try!
While all good ideas, those are some big exceptions you have to ask for that I doubt the Welt will do. I think your best bet is telling the dealer to remove the front before you go pick it up.
__________________
Wife's Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Upcoming ED: 2020 F87 M2C, LBB, ZEC, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:10 AM   #38
goku7
Second Lieutenant
goku7's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2C
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Word of caution. I used 3M adhesive remover. It did squat in loosening up the double sided tape. It did just wipe out the black lettering on the license plate though. so much for keeping a souvenir.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #39
ROASTM
Private
United_States
24
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
Word of caution. I used 3M adhesive remover. It did squat in loosening up the double sided tape. It did just wipe out the black lettering on the license plate though. so much for keeping a souvenir.
That's unfortunate, but at least you didn't have any hidden damage as a fun surprise after removing it!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #40
goku7
Second Lieutenant
goku7's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2C
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
That's unfortunate, but at least you didn't have any hidden damage as a fun surprise after removing it!
oh my damage is all self inflicted. I poured hot water to remove the plate (don't trust myself with heat guns) and wherever it splashed on the piano black lower grille is now covered with white air bubbles
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST