BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Picking up my M2C in March

12-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
frank1119
Rep
Drives: Incoming 2020 M2C

Picking up my M2C in March

Hi guys, I am new here.

Just ordered my 2020 M2C and will be picking it up around early March 2020.

It will be around 0 degree Celsius here in Canada, will it be safe for me to drive home if there is no ice on the highway (about 120km)?

I have heard that the Michelin pilot sport might crack in cold temperatures....

Last edited by frank1119; 12-03-2019 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
frank1119
Rep

I also ordered the Remus racing exhaust + resonator replacement pipe !!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Ollie RS
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I've been driving in those temperatures (wet & dry) for the past few weeks on Michelin PSS and i don't see a problem. Traction is fine as long as you use your common sense

With regards to cracks, i haven't noticed any, fingers crossed i won't. They probably start to crack if the car is left out in the cold for a long period of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
f87.lci
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2- 6MT

Congrats on the new purchase! I am also looking to order early next year and possibly do ED for spring/summer. I believe the cost (at least what i have been told) is around 7% . Do you mind sharing what kind of discount you got? PM me if you like.
2018 BMW M2 (LBB)| 6MT| |MPE| Vorsteiner VFF 107| Vorsteiner CF Front Lip| MP Winglets|Evo Comp II Intercooler |Fabspeed Sportcat Downpipe| FTP Boost /Charge Pipes |PT Turbo Inlet Pipe| |Turbosmart DV| |BM3 Stage 2 93 Tune| |BMW Electronic Wheel||KW V3 Coilovers|

IG: https://www.instagram.com/f87lci/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
frank1119
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie RS View Post
I've been driving in those temperatures (wet & dry) for the past few weeks on Michelin PSS and i don't see a problem. Traction is fine as long as you use your common sense

With regards to cracks, i haven't noticed any, fingers crossed i won't. They probably start to crack if the car is left out in the cold for a long period of time.
Thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

So, I'll throw in my experiences going into my 2nd icky cold time of the year with this car, which is a significant disagreement with our friend from Warsaw above. I know this car and these tires. Common sense alone will not alter thermodynamics. Also, the car is more fun with the right tires for the season on it.

Traction is significantly impacted by road temps on the MPSS's, and pretty much any summer tire. Even with my garage hovering around 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the tires do not pick up much if any heat while driving in near-freezing weather. By the time I was driving in sub-40's on the way to work, it was like I was driving on the world's cheapest A/S rubber.

Some folk just go with it, but I strongly recommend that you get the car home and then get proper rubber for the season on your car, especially since you won't be familiar with the car, if early March in your area is still "winter"...which I sort of assume for all of Canada. Or have the dealership mount 641's and stuff your summers into the back with the seats down. Whatever works, but I really don't think you want to slide and crash your new car that you aren't familiar with yet just to avoid wheel swapping and a bit of annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
frank1119
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
So, I'll throw in my experiences going into my 2nd icky cold time of the year with this car, which is a significant disagreement with our friend from Warsaw above. I know this car and these tires. Common sense alone will not alter thermodynamics. Also, the car is more fun with the right tires for the season on it.

Traction is significantly impacted by road temps on the MPSS's, and pretty much any summer tire. Even with my garage hovering around 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the tires do not pick up much if any heat while driving in near-freezing weather. By the time I was driving in sub-40's on the way to work, it was like I was driving on the world's cheapest A/S rubber.

Some folk just go with it, but I strongly recommend that you get the car home and then get proper rubber for the season on your car, especially since you won't be familiar with the car, if early March in your area is still "winter"...which I sort of assume for all of Canada. Or have the dealership mount 641's and stuff your summers into the back with the seats down. Whatever works, but I really don't think you want to slide and crash your new car that you aren't familiar with yet just to avoid wheel swapping and a bit of annoyance.
Alright I will consider that, thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Lookup "glass transition" and summer performance tires, it occurs at temps of about 40 degrees F and lower. Basically a performance tire turns into a hockey puck and can crack between the tread blocks.
Appreciate 1
ai38868.50
      12-04-2019, 02:26 AM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie RS View Post

I believe most versions of PSS will not crack unless you are driving in very very low temperatures. My neighbor has generic retail PSS on his E46 M3 and parks it under a cover, but still outside all winter. He's had it outside while it's reached a few degrees below 0F and the tires aren't cracked (and I checked out of curiosity this spring). I haven't actually seen pics of it happening to an F8x.

Compare that to the GM C7 Corvette version of the PSS ZP where they were cracking on dealer lots in southern US states.

Would not be surprised if Cup 2 crack, though.
Appreciate 1
jstnstr926.50
      12-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

If I was just driving it home to store it, I would probably chance it, but if you are going to drive it during the winter you would be nuts to run the PSS tires...
      12-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1119 View Post
I also ordered the Remus racing exhaust + resonator replacement pipe !!!!
Congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0