BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > why are these rims so suseptible to curbing

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
golf4501
Lieutenant
85
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
why are these rims so suseptible to curbing

I was forced to go into the city, and street park tonight. Single lane road, parking on both sides, some asshole right on my bumper, pull in to a spot. High curb on a dark street, and hear that sound!

I nicked my Summers about a month after I got it, now I have a 6 inch scuff right at the lip on my Winters. I've never curbed rash a wheel in 35 years of driving, now I've done it twice in 7 months. Both times passenger side front, ugh!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
DriverDaily
Private First Class
97
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Because the tires are stretched from the factory. Wider tires will help protect your rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
TheAMackAttack
Private
United_States
30
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
I was forced to go into the city, and street park tonight. Single lane road, parking on both sides, some asshole right on my bumper, pull in to a spot. High curb on a dark street, and hear that sound!

I nicked my Summers about a month after I got it, now I have a 6 inch scuff right at the lip on my Winters. I've never curbed rash a wheel in 35 years of driving, now I've done it twice in 7 months. Both times passenger side front, ugh!
I've actually been losing sleep over this. I've curbed my wheels 3 times in the 16 months I've owned my M2 and it makes me sick. It does seem like the wheels protrude much more than normal cars. Feel like I've just resigned to buying new factory wheels in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #4
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
171
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

You need some old school "curb feelers"

ROFL...maybe not

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
547
Rep
902
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Lmao seriously? Had the car for 2 years now and haven't curbed the wheels. This is how it is with any larger diameter wheels you need to be aware of our surroundings and know how far you are from the curb at all times
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
golf4501
Lieutenant
85
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
You need some old school "curb feelers"

ROFL...maybe not

That's a good look!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
2M
Colonel
2M's Avatar
United_States
398
Rep
2,191
Posts

Drives: Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
I was forced to go into the city, and street park tonight. Single lane road, parking on both sides, some asshole right on my bumper, pull in to a spot. High curb on a dark street, and hear that sound!

I nicked my Summers about a month after I got it, now I have a 6 inch scuff right at the lip on my Winters. I've never curbed rash a wheel in 35 years of driving, now I've done it twice in 7 months. Both times passenger side front, ugh!
I know what you mean, I actually park a good amount away from the curb ( like 10-12 inches) , come outside , have a look at the distance to the curb, get back in the car and tuck it towards the curb another 5 inches or so. Im paranoid w these wheels lol.
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 8 points: (High visibility jacket; Strip Club; Pizzeria; Sobriety Test; E9x dressed for Halloween, Billiards, Oil Change, Orange Cone)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Lieutenant
VisualEcho's Avatar
United_States
627
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
It's the combination of how far the wheels stick out from the factory (yes, I know it takes 12/10 spacers to make them flush, but they still stick out much further than a lot of factory wheels), and the oem tire stretch. The one bit of good news is that we didn't get the classic BMW rubberband tires, keeping wheel dents from potholes to a minimum on this car. Compare to the tires fitted to some performance BMW's of the past, these tires are "meaty."

Choose 265/30 & 285/30 next time for increased protection.
__________________
2006 Lotus Exige | 2018 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
golf4501
Lieutenant
85
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
It's the combination of how far the wheels stick out from the factory (yes, I know it takes 12/10 spacers to make them flush, but they still stick out much further than a lot of factory wheels), and the oem tire stretch. The one bit of good news is that we didn't get the classic BMW rubberband tires, keeping wheel dents from potholes to a minimum on this car. Compare to the tires fitted to some performance BMW's of the past, these tires are "meaty."

Choose 265/30 & 285/30 next time for increased protection.
I have a M2C I thought you couldn't go that big, on factory rims in the front (rubbing issues)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
VisualEcho
Lieutenant
VisualEcho's Avatar
United_States
627
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
I have a M2C I thought you couldn't go that big, on factory rims in the front (rubbing issues)
It's so close on the M2C that it comes down to the specific tire you choose.
__________________
2006 Lotus Exige | 2018 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
151
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

"Why are these rims so susceptible to curbing"

Cuz u park bad.
__________________
2019 M2C Sunset Orange 6MT
Eventuri Intakes
Eisenmann Valved Full Exhaust
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2019, 11:41 PM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
1537
Rep
3,416
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

iTrader: (0)

I have curbed two wheels also. Turns out it's not the car's fault. I control the steering wheel and pedals. Stuff happens, its not the car's fault.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST