BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M2C

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #287
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2775
Rep
4,415
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic837 View Post
Just my two cents to a beaten down topic. I owned an OG 2017 M2 which was intended to be the replacement to my 09 135i. I certainly enjoyed many aspects of the car, but for what it's worth, for every improvement over my "antique" 1-series, there seemed to be something else that felt like a step-back. My 135i seemed like it a had reasonable balance between the mechanical and the electronic... the M2 experience felt somewhat disconnected.

For what it's worth, I also found the power output to be significantly disappointing.... there was just something that felt "lazy" about the throttle and turbos in that car. Slamming the gas pedal felt like the car needed a second to wake-up before it engaged properly. My 135i does not have that feeling. There's tubo lag, yes, but it still feels as if pushing the gas has an immediate reaction, which only pulls stronger once the turbos fully engage. And to dispel any rumors - it was a stick shift and I played with all of the Sport+ settings.... those settings certainly made the throttle touchy, but they didn't change the laziness of output to any significant degree. I would assume (hope) that the S55 engine fixes this problem on the M2C. The N55 was, to me, a letdown of an engine - especially compared to the N54.

Suffice it to say, I sold the M2 about a year after I bought it. I'm still driving the 135i as my daily, and even though she's getting a bit old and tired, she can still put a smile on my face. If the M2C is truly the improvement that some are saying (and the least of my worries is that it sounds a bit worse), then I might consider it after my 135i takes its final bow.
I miss my 2010 135i bad. It was a freakin mechanical beast modded. Everything was instant. Throttle, torque, steering. You thought about it? It already did it.
I have not gotten quite those same feelings while test driving the M2Cs.
Need more seat time, and really, just need to freakin buy one.

Is the consensus that Sport is the best steering mode, not Sport+?
I keep reading here Sport has a tighter feel with less center play?
I owned a 135i and have done an M track day in an M2... my 135i was an FBO N54 on coils w toe arms, much wider pss tires... my honest verdict... the car had an incredible engine... outside of that it is the worst car that I've ever owned...

1) incredibly unreliable
2) general goofy looks
3) very unbalanced short chassis
4) you mention steering feel, i think of it as an unecessarily tight and forced heavy steering
5) yes the OG m2 was not a massive performance upgrade but it was a massively better car overall
6) the 135i had the worst rear end sway / play ive ever seen in a car... it was obvious that car was designed around terrible runflats
7) last not but least it is quite telling that a base m235i beat a 1M around Laguna Seca... the 1 series platform was that shitty

FWIW i am in the market for an M2 comp so I get it but my honest opinion is that if you take the N54 out of the 135i, that car is straight ass.
Appreciate 1
chris7191986.00

      09-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #288
Thescout13
Brigadier General
Thescout13's Avatar
United_States
2729
Rep
3,947
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 M3, '20 F87 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic837 View Post
Just my two cents to a beaten down topic. I owned an OG 2017 M2 which was intended to be the replacement to my 09 135i. I certainly enjoyed many aspects of the car, but for what it's worth, for every improvement over my "antique" 1-series, there seemed to be something else that felt like a step-back. My 135i seemed like it a had reasonable balance between the mechanical and the electronic... the M2 experience felt somewhat disconnected.

For what it's worth, I also found the power output to be significantly disappointing.... there was just something that felt "lazy" about the throttle and turbos in that car. Slamming the gas pedal felt like the car needed a second to wake-up before it engaged properly. My 135i does not have that feeling. There's tubo lag, yes, but it still feels as if pushing the gas has an immediate reaction, which only pulls stronger once the turbos fully engage. And to dispel any rumors - it was a stick shift and I played with all of the Sport+ settings.... those settings certainly made the throttle touchy, but they didn't change the laziness of output to any significant degree. I would assume (hope) that the S55 engine fixes this problem on the M2C. The N55 was, to me, a letdown of an engine - especially compared to the N54.

Suffice it to say, I sold the M2 about a year after I bought it. I'm still driving the 135i as my daily, and even though she's getting a bit old and tired, she can still put a smile on my face. If the M2C is truly the improvement that some are saying (and the least of my worries is that it sounds a bit worse), then I might consider it after my 135i takes its final bow.
I miss my 2010 135i bad. It was a freakin mechanical beast modded. Everything was instant. Throttle, torque, steering. You thought about it? It already did it.
I have not gotten quite those same feelings while test driving the M2Cs.
Need more seat time, and really, just need to freakin buy one.

Is the consensus that Sport is the best steering mode, not Sport+?
I keep reading here Sport has a tighter feel with less center play?
I owned a 135i and have done an M track day in an M2... my 135i was an FBO N54 on coils w toe arms, much wider pss tires... my honest verdict... the car had an incredible engine... outside of that it is the worst car that I've ever owned...

1) incredibly unreliable
2) general goofy looks
3) very unbalanced short chassis
4) you mention steering feel, i think of it as an unecessarily tight and forced heavy steering
5) yes the OG m2 was not a massive performance upgrade but it was a massively better car overall
6) the 135i had the worst rear end sway / play ive ever seen in a car... it was obvious that car was designed around terrible runflats
7) last not but least it is quite telling that a base m235i beat a 1M around Laguna Seca... the 1 series platform was that shitty

FWIW i am in the market for an M2 comp so I get it but my honest opinion is that if you take the N54 out of the 135i, that car is straight ass.
Damn... tell us how you really feel. Lol.

However, Appreciate the honest assessment of your 135i. It's refreshing when I see someone post honestly about prior generations and not some rant about how those were the glory days and BMW has completely lost its way.
__________________
Wife's Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Upcoming ED: 2020 F87 M2C, LBB, ZEC, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #289
BroDoze
Captain
73
Rep
683
Posts

Drives: Stuff
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

I admit it was definitely the goofiest looking thing I’ve owned. I see them now (rarely) and I kind of cringe a bit. Fell from the ugly tree for sure. Also, the 6MT shifter was ass in the 135i. The 1 > 2 shift was just exhausting in that car. One of the worst.
The M2C is a massive improvement over it - I noticed that immediately.
A thicker front hollow sway helped flatten the car immensely too.
__________________
///M
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #290
mr_lab_rat
Captain
mr_lab_rat's Avatar
377
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Not to add fire to the flamewar but I heard a neighbour rolling his garbage can down his driveway and thought it was an S55 driving by

Seriously one of the neighbours has an M4 with MPE. Always drives with valves open and in one of the sport modes with burbles. I'm planning to talk to him about keeping his car quiet when he drives in the residential area. Our cars look similar so I don't want the whole street to think I'm that asshat with loud car making all that noise.
Appreciate 3
termigni1046.00
kpaso86.50
JustChris8925.50

      10-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #291
chris719
Colonel
1986
Rep
2,628
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I owned a 135i and have done an M track day in an M2... my 135i was an FBO N54 on coils w toe arms, much wider pss tires... my honest verdict... the car had an incredible engine... outside of that it is the worst car that I've ever owned...

1) incredibly unreliable
2) general goofy looks
3) very unbalanced short chassis
4) you mention steering feel, i think of it as an unecessarily tight and forced heavy steering
5) yes the OG m2 was not a massive performance upgrade but it was a massively better car overall
6) the 135i had the worst rear end sway / play ive ever seen in a car... it was obvious that car was designed around terrible runflats
7) last not but least it is quite telling that a base m235i beat a 1M around Laguna Seca... the 1 series platform was that shitty

FWIW i am in the market for an M2 comp so I get it but my honest opinion is that if you take the N54 out of the 135i, that car is straight ass.
You're definitely right that that 135i and non-M E9x in general had artificially heavy steering. Some people seem to confuse heavy steering for steering with feel and honest feedback. You are pretty much right on these points. The E82 was not the best chassis BMW ever designed. I think it might be more fun on the street than the F22, but it is snappy and not as stiff. It might even be worse than E85/E86 (Z4M) in terms of snap oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #292
Moflow
First Lieutenant
Moflow's Avatar
United_States
510
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Not to add fire to the flamewar but I heard a neighbour rolling his garbage can down his driveway and thought it was an S55 driving by

Seriously one of the neighbours has an M4 with MPE. Always drives with valves open and in one of the sport modes with burbles. I'm planning to talk to him about keeping his car quiet when he drives in the residential area. Our cars look similar so I don't want the whole street to think I'm that asshat with loud car making all that noise.
A year or so ago, i finished work, went to the company parking garage and was walking towards my car when I heard a pretty terrible noise. My first thought was literally "who's jackhammering at the construction sight next door at like 6:00PM?"

Then I realized a co-worker had just cold-started his M4 after work.

None of which actually prevented me from buying an M2C. It sounds bad. I look like an asshole when it starts up. Sigh. Oh well.
Appreciate 1
termigni1046.00

      10-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #293
infinitekidM2C
Brigadier General
infinitekidM2C's Avatar
United_States
1563
Rep
4,943
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I owned a 135i and have done an M track day in an M2... my 135i was an FBO N54 on coils w toe arms, much wider pss tires... my honest verdict... the car had an incredible engine... outside of that it is the worst car that I've ever owned...

1) incredibly unreliable
2) general goofy looks
3) very unbalanced short chassis
4) you mention steering feel, i think of it as an unecessarily tight and forced heavy steering
5) yes the OG m2 was not a massive performance upgrade but it was a massively better car overall
6) the 135i had the worst rear end sway / play ive ever seen in a car... it was obvious that car was designed around terrible runflats
7) last not but least it is quite telling that a base m235i beat a 1M around Laguna Seca... the 1 series platform was that shitty

FWIW i am in the market for an M2 comp so I get it but my honest opinion is that if you take the N54 out of the 135i, that car is straight ass.
I also had a modded 135. I won't go too far like i think you have but there's no comparison with the handling of the 135 and the M2 Comp. The 135 was a relatively not great chassis set up with a great engine. But the M2Comp has both IMO, especially after a tune. I had to spend some real coin to get the 135 to what i felt was a reasonable state, upgrade oil cooler, brake lines, fluid, intercooler, tune, wheels, coilover suspension, etc etc. My m2 comp feels already excellent, just maybe a bit of tweaking here and there.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #294
Bimmer28312
Major
Bimmer28312's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: BMW N55 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Perfectly said up there. I too loved my OG M2 but the only thing I miss now is the exhaust note. The N55 just couldn't quite live up to the M name even after upgrading my turbo. As for the S55 exhaust note I think they sound different on
a stock M2C. From what I've heard nothing the AA midpipe can't fix which I'll soon find out. The only other thing I hate on my M2C is the damn seatbelt lol. Why is it so hard to grab hahahahha
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL5043.00

      10-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #295
Altra
Second Lieutenant
166
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: 2016 AW M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

We, the people, won. Cause we can choose between either cars! lol
Appreciate 1
PLF69298.00

      10-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #296
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
5043
Rep
7,483
Posts

Drives: HS M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands/ Lilyhammer, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
The only other thing I hate on my M2C is the damn seatbelt lol. Why is it so hard to grab hahahahha

This! +1

9 out of 10 times when Im trying to grab it the steel thingy hits my left elbow pretty hard. Toing!
Me
The missus in the passengerseat: 'And you always say you have a big grin on your face when going for a ride in the M2?'
Me: Let it be, love. Lets see JOKER* tonight.



Cheers
Robin










*great movie!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #297
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
termigni's Avatar
United_States
1046
Rep
1,774
Posts

Drives: S2000, X6,M2, Model3, 911
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
In the real world a lot of M owners track and 0-60 means nothing...and where did you get that same 0-60 times

In your real world the 240i is better than the M2
the man speakth the truth.
__________________
2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #298
mr_lab_rat
Captain
mr_lab_rat's Avatar
377
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Perfectly said up there. I too loved my OG M2 but the only thing I miss now is the exhaust note. The N55 just couldn't quite live up to the M name even after upgrading my turbo. As for the S55 exhaust note I think they sound different on
a stock M2C. From what I've heard nothing the AA midpipe can't fix which I'll soon find out. The only other thing I hate on my M2C is the damn seatbelt lol. Why is it so hard to grab hahahahha
I think I owe an apology to the M2C owners. I have been crapping on the S55 sound since the M2C was announced. I finally got a ride in one and inside it sounds just fine (with MPE). I guess some of that could be the ASD but I don't care. If something bad happens to my OG M2 I'll be replacing it with the M2C.
Appreciate 4
CSBM51318.00
Conissah642.50
chris7191986.00
dr3wsM9.00

      11-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #299
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
beMtroubleYou's Avatar
46
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: M2C '18
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North EU

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Tuned n55 with a swapped turbo will outperform the s55 stock on m2c
Mind. Blown.
Appreciate 2
Conissah642.50
ASAP2775.00

      12-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #300
feri130
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: M2 LCi
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Oh guys what a thread with everybody sharing the pros and cons of M2 and M2C. Unfortunately i crashed my M2, cup2 tyres do not like 4 celsius degrees and wet road,i was stupid to bring the car out from the garage that day... Luckily it is cosmetics, airbags and coolers that are damaged, suspension is ok so my car os not a total waste. The car was stage3 with 501hp and 670nm, tte550 turbos, upgraded hpfp and lpfp, and all the coolers were upgraded plus full catless akrapovic system. Loved driving the car, very fast and powerful and sounds OMG. After reading this thread i came up with the idea to replace the car with M2C and go stage 2 with akrapovic exhaust so i can reach my old power figures easier. I just love how my car sounds and cannot say the same for the M2C however i respect S55 engine. Let's hear your opinions about my case and restart this M2 vs M2C fight considering i already have the go fast stuff in my crashed OG M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #301
tranck
Second Lieutenant
tranck's Avatar
399
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Aberdeen, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feri130 View Post
Oh guys what a thread with everybody sharing the pros and cons of M2 and M2C. Unfortunately i crashed my M2, cup2 tyres do not like 4 celsius degrees and wet road,i was stupid to bring the car out from the garage that day... Luckily it is cosmetics, airbags and coolers that are damaged, suspension is ok so my car os not a total waste. The car was stage3 with 501hp and 670nm, tte550 turbos, upgraded hpfp and lpfp, and all the coolers were upgraded plus full catless akrapovic system. Loved driving the car, very fast and powerful and sounds OMG. After reading this thread i came up with the idea to replace the car with M2C and go stage 2 with akrapovic exhaust so i can reach my old power figures easier. I just love how my car sounds and cannot say the same for the M2C however i respect S55 engine. Let's hear your opinions about my case and restart this M2 vs M2C fight considering i already have the go fast stuff in my crashed OG M2.
1st - what color is your OG M2? - that will determine if you should get it fixed or not.

Just kidding.

Sounds to me like you got your car exactly like you want it - get it fixed man - if you find a good shop, you'll never be able to tell you whacked it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #302
5.M0NSTER
Captain
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
634
Rep
712
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear about the crash. At least youre ok.

If the sound the car makes if as important of a factor for you as it is for me, Id say get your car fixed up and back to original shape. Or if you found a good setup for the M2C which makes it sound half decent please share. Im still waiting for something with deep tone that gets rid of the tin can hollow sound.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12-25-2019 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #303
grinch
Private First Class
115
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 330d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spain

iTrader: (0)

I hope to launch soon my M2C vs my old M2 N55, both manual gearbox
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #304
feri130
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: M2 LCi
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Color is long beach blue, this is my personal favourite color being m2 or m2c.
Thank you for the replies guys and the caring, helped me to stick to my decision to repair the car.
About exhaust i am a big fan of akrapovic. My m2 has full akra system, my xsr900 abarth has akra, and i am getting an f750 gs with akra. Friend has m4c with full akra and it sounds decent. Pricey but quality stuff and lightweight. So: for m2c i suggest akra but make sure to change the downpipes as well but have the sport catalyst version to make even Greta proud just kidding only because to be 100%smell-less. Downpipe gives a little deeper tone. Hjs makes also quality products regarding downpipes
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #305
feri130
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: M2 LCi
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

this fella made his car to sound really good. I believe the downpipe makes the big difference. Plus the throttle response will be better too at least this is what i experienced with the n55.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #306
SpartanGA
Lieutenant
SpartanGA's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

not a fan of the cracking pops as they are created. (I was a fan on my Cayman S as they were more natural).

Can this be tuned out or reduced? Maybe this is an unusual request. lol
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST