BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Help Me Decide Between M2 Comp and Base 991.2

01-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #45
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I have never been quoted anywhere near $500 for an oil change on any of my Porsches. My GT3 costs less than half that amount and holds 7 quarts of oil.
Unfortunately that's the going rate at the P dealers here in Canada.. most things are overpriced and we have a terrible exchange rate in comparison to USD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
There is a video on YouTube of a woman performing her own maintenance on a 996. Maybe watching her video can save that $500.
I live in a condo, it's against our bylaw to do any work on the cars
If in GTA I can hook you up with a good indy. I pay less than half of that for an oil change on my 991.1 4S. PM if interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #46
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
Isn't having a powerful, rear wheel drive vehicle as your daily in the northeast kind of a bad idea? That Porsche or M2 is going to be difficult at best in the winter. Wouldn't it make more sense to find an AWD vehicle for daily duty in areas with snowy winters and very rainy falls? I believe Porsche does make some AWD vehicles.. As far as the BMW goes, a M240i xdrive might do quite a bit better where you live. I'm not a fan of my m2 in the rain and I would not even want to test it in the snow. My m2 is my daily, but it shares duty with a 2008 A4 quatro for bad weather.
I've read that RWD 911's do relatively well in the snow given the additional weight over the driven axle.
Get a Carrera 4 AWD variant. Problem solved. You can all thank me later
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #47
airborne777
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo View Post
If the prices are the same, I would go with the Porsche. One is a dedicated sports car and the other is a souped up 2 series.

As for the maintenance cost of a 911, annual oil change will cost about $400. 2 year 20,000 mile service will cost about $1,000 (includes oil change) and the 4 year 40,000 mile service (includes oil + spark plug change) will cost about $2,000.

If you are handy, you can do most of the maintenance services yourself and save a boat load of money.

I would go for the Porsche if you don't need the back seats all that much and the M2 if you do.
What he said above is spot on!
Also, you might want to check if the former owner of the Porsche has prepaid maintenance. I have found that to be the case and it is a nice surprise to have!
CPO route is very helpful as well. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #48
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne777 View Post
What he said above is spot on!
Also, you might want to check if the former owner of the Porsche has prepaid maintenance. I have found that to be the case and it is a nice surprise to have!
CPO route is very helpful as well. Good luck!
I think this really sums up the shopping experience for me. Backs seats or no back seats and these are the options I tumbled upon.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #49
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
If in GTA I can hook you up with a good indy. I pay less than half of that for an oil change on my 991.1 4S. PM if interested.
I pay about $225 for oil changes. Although, now that I have a 4 post lift in my garage, I'll be doing the oil and spark plug change.
      01-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #50
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Get a Carrera 4 AWD variant. Problem solved. You can all thank me later
RWD 911s are good in the snow with the proper tires; rear engine adding weight for much better traction. Like any modern car the nannies help tremendously. Porsches limiting factor is road clearance. As we all know, or should know, the proper winter tires are the most important factors for winter driving.

Last edited by devo; 01-04-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
bobert858.50
      01-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #51
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckz06 View Post
Hey guys, like the title says I've narrowed it down to these two. Carrera would be a base 2017 991.2 (rear wheel drive). This would be a daily driver in the northeast so will be going for DCT/PDK.

I've driven the 991.2 and liked it but wasn't blown away. Looking to find and drive the M2 in the near future. For what it's worth, I will likely end up putting a tune, intake, downpipe on whichever car I get. Seems like both cars are pretty stout when it comes to mods.

Have others cross-shopped these two? Any thoughts and opinions?

Glad to see someone actually drive a 911 and form their own opinion. I've driven many now and think they're good cars but vastly overrated as street cars.

If you need a backseat, get an M2. Simple as that IMO. If you have a kid; even more towards the M2.
      06-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #52
Birch
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Now that there's more of both the M2 and the 991.2/992's on the road, I would love to hear more.

Drove a 991.2 over the weekend and immediately loved it. Going to check out an M2 later this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #53
BSM2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckz06 View Post
Hey guys, like the title says I've narrowed it down to these two. Carrera would be a base 2017 991.2 (rear wheel drive). This would be a daily driver in the northeast so will be going for DCT/PDK.

I've driven the 991.2 and liked it but wasn't blown away. Looking to find and drive the M2 in the near future. For what it's worth, I will likely end up putting a tune, intake, downpipe on whichever car I get. Seems like both cars are pretty stout when it comes to mods.

Have others cross-shopped these two? Any thoughts and opinions?

Yes but not too seriously on the 911 side. I was more looking at a 981 Cayman GTS. I don't regret the M2 Comp at all, it's been quite playful and fun after a year and 15k miles. Get a 6speed whatever you do!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #54
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
So freaking true..

A base to a fully-equipped version is almost like a difference models.

If I can't afford a car with all the options I want, I would just get the cheaper variant.
I want all the options, even if I don't use em. I prefer my M2C's tech way more than my wife's X5M, but that stuff is fun to mess with on occasion.

Also, I shopped the M2C against 911s, but was priced out fast of anything newer and didn't want a older one because of Apple Car Play. I also had to have the manual because it was going to be a work car and that's what I'm into. The dealer didn't have any manuals available for test drives, but I did get to do one in the DCT M2C and it rips. Not sure if it'll be as squirly as the manual version, I didn't get that far in my test drive. But subsequently, the manual M2C I bought in MDM mode is fun as fuck at low speeds. So I suspect the DCT will be similar if at least the same with it in manual mode.

Also, like said before, M2C is cheaper.

And much rarer. At least in Vegas and SoCal. I have only seen a couple M2s and one M2C in Vegas... and haven't seen any in Cali during weekend trips out there.. Tons of P cars in every flavor though.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0