BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brakes seizing (wheels jammed)!!

12-29-2022, 10:10 PM   #45
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 CS | '18 GT3 T

This just happened to me. Washed the car a week or so ago and forgot to dry them off before putting the car away for the holidays. Lo and behold, I couldn’t move it afterwards.

I tried several times to brake it loose with throttle but to no success. Had to call a flat bed and winch it to brake the wheels loose. (Didn’t want to damage my clutch trying)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 02:44 AM   #46
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

It's the pads rusting onto the discs.

I always go for a short spin round the block as part of the after wash process and use the brakes after washing any car, seems common sense.

It gets all the water out and then you can redry / wipe the wheels back home while all your car cleaning gear is still out. Good to park up then no worries.

And stops those unsightly corroded pad "prints" on the discs that take months to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 04:21 PM   #47
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Great thread! Glad this has resurfaced because this has been happening to my M2 more often recently. I don't daily drive mine, but I do notice happen more so after driving through moderate to heavy rainfall. Haven't had it fully seize to the point where the car couldn't be driven, but I have had to ride the clutch on a couple of occasions before the pads would release with a quite severe and shocking bang afterwards. I wasn't sure if it was more to do with a sticky e-brake or the main pads themselves, but I'll just make more of a habit of drying off the brakes more before parking.

Also doesn't help that I engine brake pretty much everywhere and probably explains why my CBS is predicting over 80k miles of service life for the front pads over 100k for the rear
      01-04-2023, 06:39 PM   #48
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
I'm surprised I haven't experienced this, severely anyway. Most Saturdays I wash my car, and even more often I don't wash my wheels I just rinse them. Final rinse with deionized water then blow them most of the way dry. Then I don't drive until Monday.

Usually I get a little bit of roughness on the back out of the driveway on Monday but never had it seize terribly. Maybe had it seize once or twice where I heard a distinctive clunk as it broke loose, but only the day after I drove home in a hard rain.
Appreciate 0