BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New MPE exhaust options

05-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #89
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Got the MPE. No red pimple
Initial impressions- this thing has completely transformed my car. Sounds like an absolute animal. Wow. Just wow.
Funnily enough, I feel improved throttle response and I can really tell the difference because I was on the OEM exhaust for 6 months and don't think it's a placebo effect.

Last edited by MR_M2; 05-04-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      05-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #90
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_M2 View Post
Initial impressions- this thing has completely transformed my car. Sounds like an absolute animal. Wow. Just wow.
Funnily enough, I feel improved throttle response and I can really tell the difference because I was on the OEM exhaust for 6 months and don't think it's a placebo effect.
Did you request the old part # or just got lucky?

Sorry I just re-read your post, looks like you got lucky.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #91
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Surprisingly, my SA couldn't find the new Mpe code in his system, which could possibly mean that I got lucky or this red button is euro spec only. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #92
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Just had my new MPe with the 'red' dimple for the boot. Sounds truly awesome in track mode. No regrets!

Spoke to the parts manager according to him the older version is still available in certain markets, seems like it's only for the European market whereby the Mpe comes with this red button.
      05-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #93
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2wolf View Post
Just had my new MPe with the 'red' dimple for the boot. Sounds truly awesome in track mode. No regrets!

Spoke to the parts manager according to him the older version is still available in certain markets, seems like it's only for the European market whereby the Mpe comes with this red button.
Glad you finally got it fitted!!

Bit early to say I suppose but any start up vibration or drone issues?

Are you planning on getting a Fabspeed downpipe or similar? I might enquire with Evolve to see what the 'Evolve Sports Cat' they've installed on their grey M2 is and if it's compatible with the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #94
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post

Are you planning on getting a Fabspeed downpipe or similar? I might enquire with Evolve to see what the 'Evolve Sports Cat' they've installed on their grey M2 is and if it's compatible with the MPE.
Yes have latest MPE and there is still a vibrating tailpipe issue and drone at 3000rpm in any gear

Still love it
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #95
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post

Yes have latest MPE and there is still a vibrating tailpipe issue and drone at 3000rpm in any gear

Still love it
Can you unplug the module in the new version and keep the flaps open constantly?
Appreciate 1
gavinsan149.00
      05-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #96
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Can you unplug the module in the new version and keep the flaps open constantly?
Can't see why not if you wish you have the car set up with the valves open then start the car and hit the red button and then use bluetooth controller to open the valves and then disconnect under the car the module and then you should be good to go but to be honest there is a better way where the switch is simply moved to the interior of the car as opposed in the boot
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #97
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Can't see why not if you wish you have the car set up with the valves open then start the car and hit the red button and then use bluetooth controller to open the valves and then disconnect under the car the module and then you should be good to go but to be honest there is a better way where the switch is simply moved to the interior of the car as opposed in the boot
Easiest solution would be modifying the cables in a way where it's set on permanent "ON"

Personally, I would not know where to start but hopefully someone on the forum will figure it out and do a DIY, shouldn't be that hard
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #98
Darekme
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
Quote:
Easiest solution would be modifying the cables in a way where it's set on permanent "ON"

Personally, I would not know where to start but hopefully someone on the forum will figure it out and do a DIY, shouldn't be that hard
It might be not so simple. The module might require a change of status off-on-off to activate, constant on status might be not enough. If I were responsible for design, this is the first thing I would do, to prevent this kind of trick. We need someone who has this new version to try it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #99
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekme View Post
It might be not so simple. The module might require a change of status off-on-off to activate, constant on status might be not enough. If I were responsible for design, this is the first thing I would do, to prevent this kind of trick. We need someone who has this new version to try it.
bridge the plug, "Sw + sw and gr + br"

Does this ring any bell on what was done/suggested on the 2er forum?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #100
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Do you really want it to be open ALL the time?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #101
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Quote:
No i just want not to push that damn button each time i drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #102
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For me the best solution is to fit the switch in the car cabin around the dashboard as i would still want the ability to turn off the valves for commuting and general mundane driving .

Also when my wife drives the car
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #103
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
For me the best solution is to fit the switch in the car cabin around the dashboard as i would still want the ability to turn off the valves for commuting and general mundane driving .

Also when my wife drives the car
But for that you have the BT remote, to open or close it whenever you like.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      05-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #104
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpps View Post
Hope this isn't the case. I am hoping I can just open the valve 1x for the car and never close it again.

If this is yet another stupid move by BMW, I am going to scream. First the car does not "memorize" which driving mode it is in, then the rev matching, which cannot be shut off, and now I may have to open the boot each time I get in to switch on the Bluetooth to have the exhaust open/close the valves?
Quote:
Wow! That's just insane. I am getting the old MPE before it goes out of stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
dumbest shit ever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post

Really removes the pleasure of opening/closing the exhaust from the driver seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBimmer View Post
Did you get the one with out the red button?
Quote:
Damn. Due to this, I was tempted to pick up the older MPE. Looks like it is too late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
I just took delivery of a 2017 with MPE three weeks ago and I don't have the red button...
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
I don't really understand why nobody sees the reason they did this. It is to stop people from opening it on the street at random.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Exactly. This is why we can't have nice things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Dynamic View Post
This is kind of absurd if you ask me. The point of the Bluetooth control module is to open/close the valve. Now you're just making people get in and out of the car twice before driving; Kind of a ridiculous design IMO.

Can anyone confirm any other change besides this stupid red button? I've had the old MPE for about 8 months now and have loved it the whole time due to the versatility the Bluetooth module brings. It completely changes the car open/closed. I love being able to change the attitude of the car on the fly. At red lights I can open it and it brings the animal out it's kind of insane that they did this.

Any change to the sound the MPE provides now? No fix to the rattle? All they did was add a button that makes you get up everytime you drive now? Whatttttttt the fuuuuhhhh??
Quote:
Yes... while your car is warming up before your track run, you can open the boot and press the button while you walk around the car checking tire pressures, etc.

I am sure they had to do this to be 'more' compliant for some country.
Quote:
Correct, which means you already decided to before you went out driving around. That is intent and would absolve BMW from any legal issues should someone fight a noise ticket since they now have a system in place where you cannot 'accidentally' open the valves without meaning to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I think we need more electrical engineers in this forum.

This little red button should be easy to defeat. I am not too worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Why do you even need to install the stupid button or even the Bluetooth stuff? Can't you just install the exhaust and let the exhaust valve functionality work as stock? May not be as good as having the valve open all the time but close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquezar1 View Post
Besides the red button in the trunk. Any difference with the design, quality and performance of the revised MPE with the previous version?
Quote:
I am getting the MPE installed by the dealer tomorrow. I hope I don't get the red pimple. Wish me luck
Quote:
I am trying to get the old MPE before it goes out of stock.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Surprisingly, my SA couldn't find the new Mpe code in his system, which could possibly mean that I got lucky or this red button is euro spec only. Time will tell.

It seems like this is Euro spec only

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 05-09-2017 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      05-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #105
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Great! So who can help me to get the US version of MPE?
Or just the control module replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #106
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Great! So who can help me to get the US version of MPE?
Or just the control module replacement?
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #107
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpps View Post
Hope this isn't the case. I am hoping I can just open the valve 1x for the car and never close it again.

If this is yet another stupid move by BMW, I am going to scream. First the car does not "memorize" which driving mode it is in, then the rev matching, which cannot be shut off, and now I may have to open the boot each time I get in to switch on the Bluetooth to have the exhaust open/close the valves?
Quote:
Wow! That's just insane. I am getting the old MPE before it goes out of stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
dumbest shit ever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post

Really removes the pleasure of opening/closing the exhaust from the driver seat.
Quote:
Did you get the one with out the red button?
Quote:
Damn. Due to this, I was tempted to pick up the older MPE. Looks like it is too late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
I just took delivery of a 2017 with MPE three weeks ago and I don't have the red button...
Quote:
I don't really understand why nobody sees the reason they did this. It is to stop people from opening it on the street at random.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Exactly. This is why we can't have nice things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Dynamic View Post
This is kind of absurd if you ask me. The point of the Bluetooth control module is to open/close the valve. Now you're just making people get in and out of the car twice before driving; Kind of a ridiculous design IMO.

Can anyone confirm any other change besides this stupid red button? I've had the old MPE for about 8 months now and have loved it the whole time due to the versatility the Bluetooth module brings. It completely changes the car open/closed. I love being able to change the attitude of the car on the fly. At red lights I can open it and it brings the animal out it's kind of insane that they did this.

Any change to the sound the MPE provides now? No fix to the rattle? All they did was add a button that makes you get up everytime you drive now? Whatttttttt the fuuuuhhhh??
Quote:
Yes... while your car is warming up before your track run, you can open the boot and press the button while you walk around the car checking tire pressures, etc.

I am sure they had to do this to be 'more' compliant for some country.
Quote:
Correct, which means you already decided to before you went out driving around. That is intent and would absolve BMW from any legal issues should someone fight a noise ticket since they now have a system in place where you cannot 'accidentally' open the valves without meaning to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I think we need more electrical engineers in this forum.

This little red button should be easy to defeat. I am not too worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Why do you even need to install the stupid button or even the Bluetooth stuff? Can't you just install the exhaust and let the exhaust valve functionality work as stock? May not be as good as having the valve open all the time but close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquezar1 View Post
Besides the red button in the trunk. Any difference with the design, quality and performance of the revised MPE with the previous version?
Quote:
I am getting the MPE installed by the dealer tomorrow. I hope I don't get the red pimple. Wish me luck
Quote:
I am trying to get the old MPE before it goes out of stock.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Just ask your dealer on the part number. The Euro spec mpe has a new part number. If it's the same, then it comes with the red button.
      05-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #108
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
I successfully tested and installed my first bypass harness for M2wolf this evening. PM me for details.
Appreciate 1
M2wolf182.50
      05-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #109
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Quote:
No i just want not to push that damn button each time i drive the car.
I have created a bypass harness that replaces the red button. This essentially presses the button for you so you do no have to activate he system each time. The Bluetooth will work from the outset & you are able to open the close the valves as you wish.
Appreciate 3
gavinsan149.00
JustChris17426.00
Moris3.00
      05-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #110
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
I have created a bypass harness that replaces the red button. This essentially presses the button for you so you do no have to activate he system each time. The Bluetooth will work from the outset & you are able to open the close the valves as you wish.
Please do send me the details via PM, thanks!
Appreciate 1
gavinsan149.00