M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M235iR Trunk and Wing Install

02-13-2023, 04:39 PM   #1
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

M235iR Trunk and Wing Install

Wanted to do a brief writeup on the trunk install. Overall it took me 3.5 hours and is something I would consider to be easy to medium difficulty. I needed the assistance of one person solely to lift the new trunk onto the hinges.

Start by taking this shroud off, you'll need Philips screw driver and torx bits. Make sure to unhook metal round that holds the neon/green trunk handle.

Name:  Trunk Install 1.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  1.05 MB

With the shroud off you can remove the lights, backup camera/handle, and trunk latch.

Lights: From the inside wiggle them left to right and they will pop out. Both lights are the same.

Name:  Trunk Install 2 (2).jpg
Views: 507
Size:  1.08 MB

Backup Camera: I used a prying tool and wedge in addition to pushing from the inside. I bent one tab but it still works. After taking it out I realized you can depress the tabs to take it out.

Name:  Trunk Install 3 (2).jpg
Views: 501
Size:  1.32 MB

The latch just requires torx to be removed.

When that is all done you're left with the cables attached to the trunk on little plastic clips with sticky tape. I just cut the tape. I'd then recommend wrapping all the cables in electrical tape so it becomes one strand. For one, you'll need to do this anyway to pull them back into the new trunk and two, you can seamlessly pull out the wiring.

Name:  Trunk Install 4.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  838.8 KB

Now its time to actually remove the trunk. I used a ratchet with torx bit but I'd recommend using sockets if you can. The bottom bolts remove completely and the top are just loosened as you can then pull off the trunk.

Name:  Trunk Install 5.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  288.1 KB

The last item to pull off the trunk are the bumpers on either side. You can do this step with the trunk still on but mine looked like I needed to undo them from the inside. Which is false, its way easier to remove them with a pry tool from the outside.

When you're ready to install your new trunk, place the bolts back in the top holes of the trunk, grab a friend, and lift it onto the hinges. My hinges showed where the last bolts were due to it being unpainted underneath. I placed the bolts in those same spots and it lined the trunk up good enough for me.

To get the wiring back in use a metal snake first, then tape the wiring to it and push/pull it through depending on which way you snaked it through. Finally place all the components back in the way they came out. I used Zip ties in the holes where the wiring was taped to. Here is the finished product.

Name:  Trunk Install 7.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  167.2 KB
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  291.8 KB

Lastly, I put rubber gaskets under the wing stands. They're cut by hand and I did a rush job so I am hoping to do a better job on those in the near future. Thinking of 3d printing some out of TPU 95A once I can get my hands on it.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      02-13-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Thanks for this.

Any more pics of the full car? How is adjustability?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 08:11 PM   #3
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I've done this install so many times. lol. I'm glad I had spare of everything so if I wanted to swap over to my stock trunk, that's all that needs to get swapped over, the trunk. I even bought the harness that way I just had to run the grommet in the electrical box and be done with it.

If you need a spare liner or reverse camera I have them if you need it.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:17 PM   #4
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Thanks for this.

Any more pics of the full car? How is adjustability?
Here are a few other angles. Adjustability of the wing is good. I haven't adjusted it much yet to see how it affects the car at speed. Its still currently in the street setting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-13-2023, 09:03 PM   #5
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I've done this install so many times. lol. I'm glad I had spare of everything so if I wanted to swap over to my stock trunk, that's all that needs to get swapped over, the trunk. I even bought the harness that way I just had to run the grommet in the electrical box and be done with it.

Ooof yeah I read about your wing install saga. You have a different wing now right? Like a GT4 type?

I like the idea of having completed spare trunk like that. I'll definitely pick up that second reverse camera. Ill send you a pm
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:11 PM   #6
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
Ooof yeah I read about your wing install saga. You have a different wing now right? Like a GT4 type?

I like the idea of having completed spare trunk like that. I'll definitely pick up that second reverse camera. Ill send you a pm
It's nearly the same setup really. I had the RKP uprights, but switched over to the Fall-Line uprights instead. A bit heftier and gives slight advantage of being able to move it forward or back a slot. And yes, I switched over to the GT4 wing from AP Motorsport.

Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's nearly the same setup really. I had the RKP uprights, but switched over to the Fall-Line uprights instead. A bit heftier and gives slight advantage of being able to move it forward or back a slot. And yes, I switched over to the GT4 wing from AP Motorsport.

That's awesome. The m235ir wing is a little narrow in my opinion, I wish it were a tad wider. The GT4 wing looks proper. Cool that you can order that to fit gts mounts. I also like how the fall line uprights have O-rings on the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #8
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
That's awesome. The m235ir wing is a little narrow in my opinion, I wish it were a tad wider. The GT4 wing looks proper. Cool that you can order that to fit gts mounts. I also like how the fall line uprights have O-rings on the bottom.
Yeah, I was consider getting the M235iR wing but it wasn't terribly far off from the price of the GT4 wing, so I went with that instead.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:53 PM   #9
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Yeah, I was consider getting the M235iR wing but it wasn't terribly far off from the price of the GT4 wing, so I went with that instead.
Turned out great. Any feedback on how it improves things on track? Noticing the improvement in grip?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 06:58 PM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Turned out great. Any feedback on how it improves things on track? Noticing the improvement in grip?
+1

This is something I want to eventually do but still a few years out probably. Also want to make sure I can balance it with a nice front splitter
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 08:17 PM   #11
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man, honestly haven't put the wing on enough track days to even know for sure. I felt like it was supportive at Buttonwillow, but since getting the wing on, I've missed a lot of track days late last year and will miss all of track season this year because of being on location in London. So won't know until Q4 this year...

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:44 PM   #12
bykevin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Do you have any info on how to remove the trunk with the harness attached?

I'm planning to swap trunks with another M2 and want to see if we can avoid fishing the harness on and off the trunks.