BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Stock Exhaust vs AA EL Midpipe + Remus Axleback (Revs/Fly Bys)

04-03-2022, 12:43 AM   #1
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep
Drives: TR G87

Stock Exhaust vs AA EL Midpipe + Remus Axleback (Revs/Fly Bys)

Recently upgraded from the OG M2 to the M2 Comp and I've been looking for the perfect exhaust setup to make it sound great like the N55. I've been searching this forum and YouTube extensively for videos comparing different exhaust setups, but every video sounds so different because of camera/microphone gear, filming location etc. One guy filming with a go-pro attached to his bumper while on their Sunday drive sounds completely different than someone revving their car in a garage while filming on an Iphone even with the EXACT same exhaust setup.

After weeks of binge watching videos, it seemed like the AA Equal Length Midpipe was a no brainer and pairing it with a quality axle back exhaust that adds a deeper tone was going to be the perfect setup.

As I started sourcing parts, I realized somebody I previously met at a car meet in the same M2 group chat had a Remus Race Axleback with a Resonated AA Equal Length Midpipe already installed on his M2 Comp. I decided to do the world a favor and meet up with him to film an exhaust comparison video.

My white M2 Comp is completely bone stock engine/exhaust wise, sounds like a vacuum cleaner in comfort and a broken blender in sport + mode. His yellow M2 Comp (wrapped btw) has the Remus Race Axle back exhaust + Active Autowerkes Equal length Midpipe (Resonated). Nothing else done to it at all engine/exhaust wise. Stock downpipes, stock tune etc.

I used a DSLR camera with a very high quality microphone, so what you hear in the video is exactly what it sounds like in person. Needless to say, it sounds absolutely incredible and has convinced me to get this exact setup. Dare I say that this might even sounds better than the N55 with a downpipe.. (what I had previously)

Here's the video, hope it helps some of you make a decision on upgrades!

Last edited by DailyDownshift; 04-06-2022 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: formatting purposes
Appreciate 5
      04-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Any chance we can get more interior clips? To me, the most important facet of any exhaust upgrade is how I'm going to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
Any chance we can get more interior clips? To me, the most important facet of any exhaust upgrade is how I'm going to hear it.
Mid pipe ( Single or EL depending on taste ) along with any number of rear sections makes all the difference. Last week i had a guy in a 370Z chase me down while driving to ask about the car so I pulled over and took him for a ride and he couldn't get over how the car car sounded (AA EL and MPE stock DP) and asked if he could video the sound while driving so windows open and was like 38 degrees out lol ...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 01:50 AM   #5
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post

I think I could create an updated video in the future when I install this setup on my white M2C. It's going to sound louder and better inside the cabin, I think what most people do is disable the artificial exhaust from the speakers when they upgrade their exhaust/midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:05 PM   #6
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I currently have the Remus Sport with non resonated midpipe and this video really makes me wish I went with the Race version. Some days I want louder but after hearing the yellow M2C, is there any part of you that thinks it's too loud?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I currently have the Remus Sport with non resonated midpipe and this video really makes me wish I went with the Race version. Some days I want louder but after hearing the yellow M2C, is there any part of you that thinks it's too loud?
Well it was obviously loud compared to the stock m2 comp but that was my only point of reference. I did not think it was too loud though, especially because you could turn off burbles with bimmerlink or just drive in comfort when you need to be stealthy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #8
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

So glad I turned my burbles off.

Sounds good. It's hard to tell how different this is vs. my set up of Remus sport plus single mid pipe. I feel mine isn't as aggressive sounding, which is what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #9
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post

Sounds good. It's hard to tell how different this is vs. my set up of Remus sport plus single mid pipe. I feel mine isn't as aggressive sounding, which is what I wanted.
From what I’ve seen in videos, the EL is much better sounding then the single midpipe. Its got more of a flat plane/whip sound towards the back end of the rev.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:04 PM   #10
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Downshift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post

From what I’ve seen in videos, the EL is much better sounding then the single midpipe. Its got more of a flat plane/whip sound towards the back end of the rev.
I'm about to install the same setup just unresonated. Did the guy with the Remus have tight clearances with the midpipe? And did he have to bend any brackets for it not to rub
      04-07-2022, 11:38 PM   #11
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
I'm about to install the same setup just unresonated. Did the guy with the Remus have tight clearances with the midpipe? And did he have to bend any brackets for it not to rub
He got it done at a shop but said he didn’t think anything was modified or bent to get it installed. Seems straight forward. Let me know how your install goes as I’ll be doing mine later this spring.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 11:57 PM   #12
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Good video showing the comparison but I think Remus race is a little too boy racer for my taste. Then again, race is in the name!

Maybe burbles off in the standing revs would've helped.

I'm still very impressed with how well the AA EL non-res pairs with stock axle back. Good bang for the buck.

My videos:

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 02:18 AM   #13
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Good video showing the comparison but I think Remus race is a little too boy racer for my taste. Then again, race is in the name!

Maybe burbles off in the standing revs would've helped.

I'm still very impressed with how well the AA EL non-res pairs with stock axle back. Good bang for the buck.

My videos:

Man, that second video sounds EPIC! Cannot wait to get my setup installed and film a bunch of videos
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 10:08 PM   #14
CPT Smuggs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87

Can anyone provide a fly-by of a Remus Sport with AA EL?

I was only able to find one with the AA non-EL. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/05iKxEla8JY
      04-26-2022, 12:15 AM   #15
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Smuggs View Post
Can anyone provide a fly-by of a Remus Sport with AA EL?

I was only able to find one with the AA non-EL. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/05iKxEla8JY
Check out this thread... OP does great job of covering everything.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1852436
Appreciate 2