08-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #45
Swish77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
They would have probably done the adjustable suspension if they weren't going to try to get it under 70k. But personally I am good with the current suspension and then upgrading to coil overs. Having tracked the stock suspension its not terrible but boy is it bad as a daily. I rather suffer though and have the car be decent on the track fully stock and it really is. I can't wait to go coil overs, will be doing TCKline though and because I like punishment going for the stiffer spring rate
The stock suspension seems to be such a polarizing point on the M2C. I’ve read complaints about it being too bouncy, and I’ve read complaints about it being too stiff. Those are two very different driving experiences. And it can’t be bouncy and stiff at the same time, of course. I suppose it’s all relative to what you’re used to.

I find the suspension very comfortable as a daily. Stiff enough for a sports car feel, but comfortable enough that it won’t break your back. I’ve driven much, much stiffer (aka uncomfortable) suspensions in cars I’ve driven daily, including the 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #46
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Yeah I don't think its very comfortable as a daily. I guess it really depends where you drive your car, I can't imagine driving a car like this in a major city with bad roads. I am in the boonies so driving it around here is fine.

The suspension is definitely stiff, I don't think its bouncy but maybe over damped?

But I am a track noob so I never finished a track session and was like omg that car needs a new suspension, I think it works just fine for my skill level. However I have taken my wife for dinner and thought holy crap that is unforgiving on some of these bad roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 06:25 PM   #47
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish77 View Post
The stock suspension seems to be such a polarizing point on the M2C. I’ve read complaints about it being too bouncy, and I’ve read complaints about it being too stiff. Those are two very different driving experiences. And it can’t be bouncy and stiff at the same time, of course. I suppose it’s all relative to what you’re used to.

I find the suspension very comfortable as a daily. Stiff enough for a sports car feel, but comfortable enough that it won’t break your back. I’ve driven much, much stiffer (aka uncomfortable) suspensions in cars I’ve driven daily, including the 911.
The stock suspension has soft springs with terrible damping. Unfortunately, ALL of the aftermarket suspensions have higher spring rates, so they are ALL bouncier, but the damping is so much better that you literally don't care.

If you ride in a car with the MPS you'll never want to go back to the stock suspension, high spring rate be damned.

But if I'm honest, I'd still prefer the stock spring rate with the MPS damping. Unfortunately no such suspension exists.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #48
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The stock suspension has soft springs with terrible damping. Unfortunately, ALL of the aftermarket suspensions have higher spring rates, so they are ALL bouncier, but the damping is so much better that you literally don't care.

If you ride in a car with the MPS you'll never want to go back to the stock suspension, high spring rate be damned.

But if I'm honest, I'd still prefer the stock spring rate with the MPS damping. Unfortunately no such suspension exists.
You could probably get custom valved Bilstein or Ohlins, but gonna cost you $$ and maybe quite a bit of tinkering.

I don't think the M2C stock suspension is that bad. I wonder if BMW has tweaked the same part number (damper) through the life of the car? Normally that's not done but I heard at least one person claim that they drove a 2018 LCI M2 and it felt different and similar to the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #49
bromudez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Yep definitely, all in due time! I've read so many opinions about how dramatically that improves the ride, but the car just looks so much better too. If the F87 for sure stays when I have a chance to drive the G87, I will certainly go that route
You'll be very glad you did.

Speaking of very glad, pick up a set of 763M's and ceramic coat them, you'll be glad you did that as well.

And if you don't track your car, a set of CarboTech 1521 pads will reduce your dust by at least 60%, and preserve your rotors in the process.
Do these pads stop the embarrassing brake squeal at low speeds? LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #50
bromudez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish77 View Post

Would you recommend the MPS for a daily driver? I haven't tracked and even if I do it'll be infrequently if anything.

I'm more interested in something more comfortable than stock but also handles better. The slight lowering is the cherry on top.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:45 PM   #51
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I don't think the M2C stock suspension is that bad.
I didn't think the $5 struts they use were that bad either, until I drove a car with the MPS. Not that you haven't, I'm just saying that the difference to me was marked.

Quote:
I wonder if BMW has tweaked the same part number (damper) through the life of the car? Normally that's not done but I heard at least one person claim that they drove a 2018 LCI M2 and it felt different and similar to the M2C.
I've heard the same thing, but I think it's guys that haven't driven the cars back to back. I drove a brand spanking new OG vs M2C back to back twice at 2 different dealerships. The roads driven make a difference for sure, but it's the same part number, so it's the same. I will say that both times I drove the M2C it felt slightly tighter, and heavier, although I can't say why. Weird, but true. The OG just felt more normal. Could be the seat, could be the sound, could be the brakes, could be a combination of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromudez View Post
Do these pads stop the embarrassing brake squeal at low speeds? LOL
Yes. The only thing is, the rear pads don't have the stock shims, so there is an obvious click when backing up, and then when going forward again. If you mind that, as I did, you just remove the stock rear shims and install them on the CarboTech pads. The fronts don't have the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromudez View Post
Would you recommend the MPS for a daily driver? I haven't tracked and even if I do it'll be infrequently if anything.

I'm more interested in something more comfortable than stock but also handles better. The slight lowering is the cherry on top.
I'm telling you straight, the MPS rides better than the stock suspension even LOWERED. It's nothing short of amazing. But keep in mind, it's because of the damping, not the spring. The spring rate is higher than stock, so there is more bounce (my wife says it makes her boobs bounce more ), but the damping is so much better that overall the suspension feels softer.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-23-2022, 11:16 PM   #52
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
I've heard the same thing, but I think it's guys that haven't driven the cars back to back. I drove a brand spanking new OG vs M2C back to back twice at 2 different dealerships. The roads driven make a difference for sure, but it's the same part number, so it's the same. I will say that both times I drove the M2C it felt slightly tighter, and heavier, although I can't say why. Weird, but true. The OG just felt more normal. Could be the seat, could be the sound, could be the brakes, could be a combination of things.
The M2c has the additional CF brace + more bracing between the shock towers from the M4, plus has the massive and much heavier (unsprung weight) 2NH brake setup. I suspect that it's these 3 factors that make them feel different despite the same shocks/springs.

I toy with the idea of putting the older brake setup + 763M's on my car. The reduction in unsprung weight would not be insignificant and would surely show up in the driving experience, in positive ways.
      08-23-2022, 11:36 PM   #53
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The M2c has the additional CF brace + more bracing between the shock towers from the M4, plus has the massive and much heavier (unsprung weight) 2NH brake setup. I suspect that it's these 3 factors that make them feel different despite the same shocks/springs.

I toy with the idea of putting the older brake setup + 763M's on my car. The reduction in unsprung weight would not be insignificant and would surely show up in the driving experience, in positive ways.
I'm not sure on the brace, but I am skeptical about the whole unsprung weight thing. I drove F82 M4 steel and CCB back-to-back 5 minutes apart and felt nothing I could notice. I also didn't feel anything swapping my 788M for 437M on the M2C. It may be unsprung weight, but the calipers are placed low and to the inside.

Perhaps the extra weight of the S55 and cooling package create a bit more of like a preload on the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 07:55 AM   #54
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure on the brace, but I am skeptical about the whole unsprung weight thing. I drove F82 M4 steel and CCB back-to-back 5 minutes apart and felt nothing I could notice.
My Lotus was 2,000 lbs flat from the factory, full of fluids (true corner scale weight). I'm a wheel/tire/photo guy, so swapping to a marginally heavier wheel/tire combo I was surprised that I didn't notice any difference. However, when then swapping to ultra light 13 lb wheels and lighter tires, changing the unsprung weight at each corner by 8 lbs I absolutely noticed. But that was on a 2,000 lb car, so you'd expect to feel it.

When I swapped my FI-R set onto my M2 I fancy I felt the car become lighter on its toes, but I could be imagining it as well, since the tires were different too. On such a heavy car I can't imagine you'd really feel such a thing.

I honestly think that part of the reason the M2C feels SLIGHTLY more substantial, heavier, and more compliant is that it's noticeably quieter than the OG at every rpm because of the exhaust, and maybe a few seals changed here and there? I think the louder OG just gives it more of a tin-can race car feel.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
MooMooM21819.00
      08-27-2022, 06:48 AM   #55
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

13lb wheels on a lotus ahha thats amazing, I need one in my life. Will forever regret not buying one in 2010 when you could have low mileage elises all day for 30k
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:22 AM   #56
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Time for a small update. Car is now officially out of warranty as of Dec last year and I still have no plans to get rid of it any time soon. Did my first oil change, but wasn't paying attention and realized I didn't have the correct tool to remove the oil filter. Overall though, oil change is very easy to do, just as the other M's in the garage:

I also added OEM roof bars and a bike rack.

Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying the car, even though I don't drive it as much as some of the people here. What's also interesting is that my car is bone stock, figured I'd have some mods on there by now, but the other cars need attention.

What I'd like to do eventually:
- CS tune
- Front lip (most likely Lightweight)
- EL AA mid pipe, paired to OEM muffler painted black

What a seriously great car,
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 9
CSBM52722.50
jonbardzy151.00
happyjack1657.00
nismosao199.50
EtotheD305.00
KevinM2935.50
baege1334.00
chris7197334.00
      03-06-2024, 08:02 AM   #57
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Bringing this thread to a conclusion. I never thought I'd end up selling the M2C, but yesterday was my last day with it. Owned it about 3.5 years and put 8k miles (enjoyed every minute with it too).

I made the mistake of test driving an M4 GTS last fall and was blown away. Went in thinking it'll just be a faster F82 M4, but I was completely wrong as it felt like no BMW I've ever driven. Here's the M2 and GTS before we parted ways:

Why did I sell the M2? Mostly because I need to thin the heard. I just don't have the time to drive and more importantly, maintain all these aging M cars. It also made no sense to have 2 S55 powered cars even though they have completely different characters. Not to mention the M2C and GTS are by far the most expensive cars I have.

I'm super glad the car went to a great home, and hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I have. I will maintain that the F87C is still one of the very best M cars I've had the pleasure of owning. It looks absolutely amazing (LBB will still be one of my favorite colors), does everything well, but has such a fun personality. I took one last opportunity to take a picture of all of them together for a perfect send off:

Don't be shocked if I end up in one again in the future for whatever reason
Appreciate 4
CSBM52722.50
Distinct147.00
Bruuuce341.50
RS2OOO6.00
      03-06-2024, 09:33 AM   #58
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Definitely understand the double S55 decision! The GTS is a great car, congrats...I'm sure it will bring lots of enjoyment especially if you can get track time in it.

Did the M2C stay local?
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00
      03-07-2024, 06:45 AM   #59
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Definitely understand the double S55 decision! The GTS is a great car, congrats...I'm sure it will bring lots of enjoyment especially if you can get track time in it.

Did the M2C stay local?
The car is being driven 2500 miles out West, which sounds like an epic road trip. I'm jealous as that's something I envisioned doing with the M2 one day!

Super happy with the GTS, the car is absolute monster even in the mountains near us. Definitely one of the more misunderstood cars BMW made, probably because of the high price tag. I think they're kind of a "bargain" where they currently sit!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      03-07-2024, 06:53 AM   #60
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The car is being driven 2500 miles out West, which sounds like an epic road trip. I'm jealous as that's something I envisioned doing with the M2 one day!

Super happy with the GTS, the car is absolute monster even in the mountains near us. Definitely one of the more misunderstood cars BMW made, probably because of the high price tag. I think they're kind of a "bargain" where they currently sit!
Yeah, I get that feeling too that we're at and/or past the bottom of the depreciation curve especially on lower mileage examples. Hey, are those the carbon fiber wheels in your picture?

Speaking of mountains, I was just imagining climbing the Saluda grade on 176 from Tryon NC to Saluda in the GTS. That was my goodbye road to my E90 M3 a few weeks ago, up and back, middle of the day, essentially zero traffic.
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00
      03-07-2024, 09:56 AM   #61
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:

Congrats on the M4 GTS! 7:28 ring time should shed some light on its capabilities. Those who know, know... Those who don't, don't...

Best of luck with it!!!
W///7494.00
      03-08-2024, 06:59 AM   #62
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congrats, love a gts. Probably one of my favorites from the F generation, wonder if they will make one for the G gen.

However Id get some new wheels on it, I know those are the cool carbon wheels but imo just don’t work as well as some others, also never loved the m666 orange ones.

Also I agree on price, I think these will be big money one day, just so rare and a spec that will probably never happen again cuz of the cage. You need to source some euro seats though
Appreciate 2
W///7494.00
CSBM52722.50
      03-08-2024, 07:43 AM   #63
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Yeah, I get that feeling too that we're at and/or past the bottom of the depreciation curve especially on lower mileage examples. Hey, are those the carbon fiber wheels in your picture?

Speaking of mountains, I was just imagining climbing the Saluda grade on 176 from Tryon NC to Saluda in the GTS. That was my goodbye road to my E90 M3 a few weeks ago, up and back, middle of the day, essentially zero traffic.
Yep, carbon wheels. This particular one is a pretty rare spec as I did not want Frozen Grey. There's just not too many black, and especially not with carbon wheels. Having said that, mine will never be a collector/museum grade even if they go up in value. 34k miles is definitely on the higher side, but it's perfect for me and completely guilt free driving!

That's the route I normally drive around as well! I will always maintain that our back roads are as good as any (especially Tail of the Dragon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Congrats on the M4 GTS! 7:28 ring time should shed some light on its capabilities. Those who know, know... Those who don't, don't...

Best of luck with it!!!
Thank you so much! I'll never be able to push the car to its absolute limits, but I thoroughly enjoy how hardcore it is. The car just feels special. Almost useless on the day to day stuff, but great weekend car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
Congrats, love a gts. Probably one of my favorites from the F generation, wonder if they will make one for the G gen.

However Id get some new wheels on it, I know those are the cool carbon wheels but imo just don’t work as well as some others, also never loved the m666 orange ones.

Also I agree on price, I think these will be big money one day, just so rare and a spec that will probably never happen again cuz of the cage. You need to source some euro seats though
Thanks so much! Yea the carbon wheels definitely look pedestrian until you walk right up to it. I thought the orange wheels clashed with the car when they were launched, but I absolutely loved the way they look on a black GTS on the one I test drove. It gave me 997 Porsche GT3RS vibes. Don't love how heavy they are though.

I would love euro seats, but they cost as much as what I paid for my E36 M3 back in the day haha. I do like these manual seats as they sit lower than the M2, but the carbon buckets in the G8x have completely spoiled me. It could be something I look to doing!

Funnily enough, previous owner had a set of Euro buckets on the car. Would have loved it if he left them on there
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
M3R12168.50
      03-08-2024, 08:56 AM   #64
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:

Thank you so much! I'll never be able to push the car to its absolute limits, but I thoroughly enjoy how hardcore it is. The car just feels special. Almost useless on the day to day stuff, but great weekend car!

I would love euro seats, but they cost as much as what I paid for my E36 M3 back in the day haha. I do like these manual seats as they sit lower than the M2, but the carbon buckets in the G8x have completely spoiled me. It could be something I look to doing!

Funnily enough, previous owner had a set of Euro buckets on the car. Would have loved it if he left them on there
Controlled excess on the street is very entertaining. I would put the M4 GTS in that category. My CS is DP'd and tuned and it is a hilarious car to drive. It is an event every time i turn the key.

I also looked to add the Euro M4 GTS seats to my car as it would bring my little build to the next level. The BAT auction below was actually a steal for the buyer!!! Certainly better than $16k!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/bm...n-fiber-seats/
      03-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #65
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep, carbon wheels. This particular one is a pretty rare spec as I did not want Frozen Grey. There's just not too many black, and especially not with carbon wheels. Having said that, mine will never be a collector/museum grade even if they go up in value. 34k miles is definitely on the higher side, but it's perfect for me and completely guilt free driving!

That's the route I normally drive around as well! I will always maintain that our back roads are as good as any (especially Tail of the Dragon).

Thanks so much! Yea the carbon wheels definitely look pedestrian until you walk right up to it. I thought the orange wheels clashed with the car when they were launched, but I absolutely loved the way they look on a black GTS on the one I test drove. It gave me 997 Porsche GT3RS vibes. Don't love how heavy they are though.

yeah the euro seats are absurdly expensive and they are just pole positions with seat belt cut out (which is awesome), I am surprised recaro does not offer these to the public, they would sell a bunch because a lot of people that buy PPs want them for dual use and would love to be able to use the seat belt receptor without it crushing their legs.

I agree about the orange wheels, they look good on certain colors and for sure very porsche rs but I dunno was just never a big fan of the 666 not to mention I think they are too big with the 20 in the back, I dunno I am more of a 18s with some rubber look.
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00
      03-08-2024, 09:24 AM   #66
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Are you bringing it to the MiX cars&coffee at the CCA HQ next month?
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00