BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

04-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #529
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Wrapped up my first track day with the CS Sunday. Went straight from the dealer break in service to the proper track break in weekend.

After previously doing this track with my comp the CS gave me almost god level confidence with grip, which I'm sure is attributed to the cup 2's mostly.

I'm a big fan of tracking these cars in stock form before doing any types of modifications.

All in all I managed a 2:18 on the one session I had the solo timer. I ran the solo group and had a great time doing it. By the last session Sunday with track temp near 100° the cup 2's were getting really greasy, but even with that, this car is so controllable with it starting to slide out.

The CCB were rock stars, I'd be lying if I said they felt any better than the steels on my comp though. I did enjoy not tasting break dust though.

I only do track days in the spring or fall, obviously if you were to track this car year round brake ducts would be a must. I had more fun in this car than I did in my s2k or Miata on track; it's a rocket ship with unbelievable amounts of grip, and the steering is off the charts. Just giving my amateur opinion for anyone who cared to know lol.
Attached Images

243Racing1447.50
bentom2335.50
Rumbloki176.00
      04-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #530
Doublej
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2022 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Had a great time at Oregon Raceway Park this past weekend. Probably my favorite track.

Forum member Pal (can’t tag him due to the short name) and I did a lead-follow session while we were both warming up and reacquainting ourselves to running clockwise on Sunday. Saturday was counterclockwise. We both eventually improved our times to 2:00 flat by the end of the day.

Anyhow, here’s some video of me following Pal.

(How do you embed video rather than a link?) Edit-fixed. Thanks @capt canuck!
This is my favourite track so far. I haven't been there since 2012 when I had my GT3 but it's a real life rollercoaster in your car. Running CCW was the most fun in my opinion but both directions are great.

I can't wait to get back there (in any car)

JJ
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
Megator517.50
      04-22-2021, 12:09 AM   #531
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublej View Post
This is my favourite track so far. I haven't been there since 2012 when I had my GT3 but it's a real life rollercoaster in your car. Running CCW was the most fun in my opinion but both directions are great.

JJ
I agree on CCW. It flows a little better for me and the back half of the track is a lot more fun. We did that Saturday. I have less experience with CW, so was very happy to break 2:00 in both directions.

Hopefully the vaccination rollout is successful, and the border opens before long, so you have the option for a return visit! Selfishly, I’m hoping to get up to Area 27 for an event that was postponed from June 2020 to Sept 2021.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #532
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

I was at COTA last weekend again and failed to achieve my personal goal of dipping into 2:34s. Aside from the usual fun of a track day, I was a bit frustrated and flustered.

Saturday
It just wasn't my day. I was tired, my Solo DL was dropping satellites and not recording times, and sessions weren't clean due traffic, flags, and trains. Come to find out that out of the few laps that were logged, I have a virtual best of 2:34.7 😑.

Sunday
Armed with a borrowed phone mount and Harry's lap timer, I managed batches of 2:36s while fighting what I think was either serious pad knock back or excessive pad retraction. A friend in an M4 CS that tailed me a bit said those times were actually 2:35s so a little bit of a consolation.

Overall, I think I became more consistent and that's with focusing on driving around the fronts going off and the braking issues. These Goodyear SC3s do seem like champs. They're on the way out, but wore pretty evenly and are damn near the wear bars—this is after 30+ heat cycles at COTA including a couple stints over 30 min.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      04-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #533
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
I was at COTA last weekend again and failed to achieve my personal goal of dipping into 2:34s. Aside from the usual fun of a track day, I was a bit frustrated and flustered.

Saturday
It just wasn't my day. I was tired, my Solo DL was dropping satellites and not recording times, and sessions weren't clean due traffic, flags, and trains. Come to find out that out of the few laps that were logged, I have a virtual best of 2:34.7 😑.

Sunday
Armed with a borrowed phone mount and Harry's lap timer, I managed batches of 2:36s while fighting what I think was either serious pad knock back or excessive pad retraction. A friend in an M4 CS that tailed me a bit said those times were actually 2:35s so a little bit of a consolation.

Overall, I think I became more consistent and that's with focusing on driving around the fronts going off and the braking issues. These Goodyear SC3s do seem like champs. They're on the way out, but wore pretty evenly and are damn near the wear bars—this is after 30+ heat cycles at COTA including a couple stints over 30 min.
Silver lining there for sure. I know what you mean about timing tech failing you. I have relied on free versions of Track Addict or even paid versions of Harry's for too long. It only goes so far when your phone is the weak link with no so good sampling rate of GPS.

I've been super happy with Garmin Catalyst in my last chance effort to get under 8 min on the Ring. I think big part of got me pushing was seeing a green - 5.71 and better. I've set mine up to show delta to personal best, so seeing green is always super motivating.

2:35 at COTA is seriously quick. A bit more time and you will hit your goal.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #534
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post

Saturday

Sunday

Those HPDEs can be pretty rough trying to get good lap times in out there. The trains can get ridiculous . Sounds like a pretty good time though with the tires at the end of their life like that.

Sucks about the Solo - my Aim MXG dash was doing the same thing not long ago where it started sucking at picking up satellites. An Aim rep was actually on site - he made sure I had the latest update which I did. He downloaded and reinstalled it though and voila - it worked perfectly again... So maybe try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Silver lining there for sure. I know what you mean about timing tech failing you. I have relied on free versions of Track Addict or even paid versions of Harry's for too long. It only goes so far when your phone is the weak link with no so good sampling rate of GPS.

I've been super happy with Garmin Catalyst in my last chance effort to get under 8 min on the Ring. I think big part of got me pushing was seeing a green - 5.71 and better. I've set mine up to show delta to personal best, so seeing green is always super motivating.

2:35 at COTA is seriously quick. A bit more time and you will hit your goal.
Are you going to be able to get your last day in at the Ring???
Appreciate 1
M1500Z423.00
      04-29-2021, 01:19 AM   #535
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post

Are you going to be able to get your last day in at the Ring???
Yes, I did! Had a fantastic day, and did 3 laps under 8 min, with the fastest being 7:52.4. I can return to US a happy man.

I posted the fastest lap in the Lap Time thread, but here is a sub 8 lap with some Porsche traffic.

Appreciate 4
OG Shark4692.50
bentom2335.50
      04-29-2021, 06:37 AM   #536
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I did! Had a fantastic day, and did 3 laps under 8 min, with the fastest being 7:52.4. I can return to US a happy man.

I posted the fastest lap in the Lap Time thread, but here is a sub 8 lap with some Porsche traffic.

Awesome - congrats!!!
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      04-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #537
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome - congrats!!!
Thank you sir!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #538
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

M2 CS Racing wing installed, because racecar

Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
OG Shark4692.50
DrKevM52273.50
      04-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #539
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
M2 CS Racing wing installed, because racecar

Seriously? You're going to drop that on us with only that pic? C'mon man - we need moarrrrrr! (Looks awesome from that pic though)
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      04-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #540
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Seriously? You're going to drop that on us with only that pic? C'mon man - we need moarrrrrr! (Looks awesome from that pic though)
The car is covered in WD-40, dirt, and fingerprints. I'm taking it tomorrow to get some serious ceramic coating on the spoiler for environment and UV protection, and a full exterior detail. Will take some shots when I get it back tomorrow
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      05-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #541
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Those HPDEs can be pretty rough trying to get good lap times in out there. The trains can get ridiculous . Sounds like a pretty good time though with the tires at the end of their life like that.

Sucks about the Solo - my Aim MXG dash was doing the same thing not long ago where it started sucking at picking up satellites. An Aim rep was actually on site - he made sure I had the latest update which I did. He downloaded and reinstalled it though and voila - it worked perfectly again... So maybe try that
I missed this response 🙈. There were trains, but I was also part of that traffic lol. One thing I enjoyed about Chin is how quick the groups are, but this meant I was being passed quite a bit more by competent drivers in faster cars. Since I'm still "new" to this, I probably give excessive room and lift more than I should for passes. All part of learning though.

The Solo deal is annoying for sure. Maybe I'll try to re-upload the latest firmware like that and see if that makes a difference. The AiM tech I spoke with was saying that where I have it mounted might be the problem—the older Solo units speak to less satellites and really need that clean view of the sky. 🤷🏻*♂️ Either way, I'll prob end up getting a Solo 2 (I'd love a dash but not in the cards) unless Garmin comes out with a Catalyst that also pulls CAN data.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #542
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just want to brag about the M2. It's such a great car! I had a nice, fun pass (contract passing) of a Corvette during a track day two days ago. The video is from a NC Miata that was behind me that enjoyed the show.

https://youtu.be/FCq2U4Eb-Ow
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #543
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Had a great track day at Zolder, first time with the M2C there and I wanted to get under 2 min.

The laptimmer was on the frits but I had at least one 1:58.XX so I was happy. Then it rained which was fun to practice car control but also a bit sketchy.

Attached Images

05-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #544
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublej View Post

JJ
That is one damn crazy track, nice driving.

Its so confusing with an almost computer render like background beyond the track
      06-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #545
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Have any of y'all run a Roval like Daytona before? We are at Kansas Speedway next week with 30* banks. A little concerned about a few things.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #546
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have any of y'all run a Roval like Daytona before? We are at Kansas Speedway next week with 30* banks. A little concerned about a few things.
I have had plenty of proving grounds experience on high banks. No personal DTs, but I've done over 160 on a 30 degree bank.

What are your concerns?

One thing is stability control tuning. It usually has high bank detection which disables stability control. I've had a vew instances where the DSC controller freaked out when entering a bank at high speed, and tried to pull me towards the guardrail. Not fun.

But all OEMs tune and test for this kind of thing. That's how I got to spend so much time on high speed banks and very tight banks.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #547
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have had plenty of proving grounds experience on high banks. No personal DTs, but I've done over 160 on a 30 degree bank.

What are your concerns?

One thing is stability control tuning. It usually has high bank detection which disables stability control. I've had a vew instances where the DSC controller freaked out when entering a bank at high speed, and tried to pull me towards the guardrail. Not fun.

But all OEMs tune and test for this kind of thing. That's how I got to spend so much time on high speed banks and very tight banks.
Oil starvation and tire wear are my primary concerns.

I will be running a new set of tires (tbd) unless I can find some scrubs. 'm concerned about killing them. Rear I'm at -2.4 camber; the fronts are at about -1.4 but that front right tire takes a pounding.

I've never been on a roval, but when my last NASA region went out to Autoclub, a bunch of people blew motors.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #548
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I will be running a new set of tires (tbd) unless I can find some scrubs. 'm concerned about killing them. Rear I'm at -2.4 camber; the fronts are at about -1.4 but that front right tire takes a pounding.

I've never been on a roval, but when my last NASA region went out to Autoclub, a bunch of people blew motors.
Ok, I see. No idea about oil starvation. Depends on the sump I guess, but makes sense as you have more than 1g vertically on the car.

There isn't too much lateral force, since the vertical Z axis picks up some of the lateral acceleration. So I would think fronts would be ok. The rear with 02.4 might actually start getting abused on the inside, since the tire isn't rolling over as much due to the bank.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #549
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

I drove Daytona in 2019. First time tracking the car and learning the track. As a reference, a 2:14 lap with 153mph on the front straight: Max G force (1.0g) for me was on Nascar Turn 4 and braking for Turn 1 and at the bus stop. Car was on stock camber, RE71R tires and Ferodo DS1.1 pads. Pretty stable at speed except a tiny bit loose in the rear under heavy heavy braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #550
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Back in 2017 at Bimmerfest (at Fontana Auto Club Speedway) BMW was giving ride alongs in the F80s all day. Easily getting up to 155mph on that roval.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0