BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Lightweight front lip installation

11-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Lightweight front lip installation

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am about to install the lightweight lip on my comp and I got all all the stuff needed to do so but I am a bit confused about the instructions which are not great.

There is a ton of bolts in there but the instruction don’t mention some of then, the self tapping looking ones get 0 mention and also the 2 cylindrical spacers, what are all these for?

There is also some brackets that are in the pictures in the manual but I have no idea how you put them in, in the picture just looks like they are standing on too if the inside of them bumper so I am confused what they are doing and what they are for.

Halp!

Attaching some pictures. Hopefully it will go in either tomorrow or saturday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

I have same splitter and actually love it. You will too once installed, BUT I did not install mine. I read the info supplied 4 years ago (and the photo you included does not match mine--just checked. Suspect they have updated data???)

In any case, I took it to an installer (I trust) of just about anything, he put 2ffer on the rack, read the data, and an hour later all was ticketyboo. Recco you get it up in the air for this with someone you trust. This is one of the best mods you will make, takes abuse, polishes nice and is solid. A lot better than CF in many ways. Good luck....sorry could be more help. But stay with it.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21812.00
      11-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
I have same splitter and actually love it. You will too once installed, BUT I did not install mine. I read the info supplied 4 years ago (and the photo you included does not match mine--just checked. Suspect they have updated data???)

In any case, I took it to an installer (I trust) of just about anything, he put 2ffer on the rack, read the data, and an hour later all was ticketyboo. Recco you get it up in the air for this with someone you trust. This is one of the best mods you will make, takes abuse, polishes nice and is solid. A lot better than CF in many ways. Good luck....sorry could be more help. But stay with it.
I am definitely going to do it myself, I have some raceramps so I will have plenty of space to get the job done. It actually looks pretty simple but I just don't understand the extra hardware lol, the one they do not mention on the instruction manual. I think the old manual was similar to this but this is the M2comp manual. I also have the OG manual that EAS sent me via email. But it should be pretty comparable. I think once I start installing I will understand what the deal is but wanted to ask people that have installed it because it will make things go by quicker.

I think I will like it too, I like how simple it is and how robust. I can't have a CG lip, I will demolish it in a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Agree completely. I also got mine from EAS. Mine was for the 2016 2ffer.
I guess CF looks great...nice brag rights at a C&C on a Saturday morning, but one break, chip away, or crack, and it's a most bothersome item.
You will like this splitter. I actually have scrapped a couple of times...but it sanded nicely, and I shot with some satin paint, and can't even see it up close.
Keep us posted on install...am interested at least personally how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I will! Wish me luck ahah.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:21 AM   #6
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Those brackets in the photo are actually slid on / clipped to a piece of plastic. Hard to see in the photo but you will understand once youre installing it. Also if I recall the self taping screws or "Stainless steel bolt short" from the manual will be used where the oem short screws were. Youll see what I mean

At one point you might want to prop the lip or ask another person to hold it when youre mounting / aligning everything.

Good luck
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21812.00
      11-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
Those brackets in the photo are actually slid on / clipped to a piece of plastic. Hard to see in the photo but you will understand once youre installing it. Also if I recall the self taping screws or "Stainless steel bolt short" from the manual will be used where the oem short screws were. Youll see what I mean

At one point you might want to prop the lip or ask another person to hold it when youre mounting / aligning everything.

Good luck
Thank you. Like you said, when I was in there it all made sense. Unfortunerely all went in nicely but a couple of bolts. Those Jack stands are kind bad. They either spin or bolt won't go in. Managed to get it off and going to use a well stand for that bolt instead. Its pretty solid in there though, just want to get this one bolt and the other I might not use ( looked at a pic from was and they skipped 2 bolts in the middle of both sides, I wish I had as well, less holes under bumper.

It looks really good though and once I get this final bolt working I will be very happy, very sturdy.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Glad you wrestled it out. You will like the Lightweight, and it will not be a stressful mod on the lower lip area.
If for some reason, as I mentioned above, if you scuff it some, it will only be on the leading edge. Of course stay away from parking concretes in front.

If it's scuffed, lightly sand smooth with various grades of wet sanding paper.
Then use a fine satin paint, spray lightly, let cure a bit, then wet sand lightly again if needed, shoot it again, and it will be tickety boo ; let any one try that with CF. That would be a hard one for me to sleep over when it happens. LOL
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21812.00
      11-21-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah and if it ever needs replacing its not an arm and a leg. But looks super durable. Also less closer to the ground than the carbon spoilers.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:14 AM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Installed. Looks pretty damn nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
D22M21372.50
      11-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #11
zkeeper