BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Dedicated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

05-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #89
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl8r View Post
@bokke did you get the sound kit with your Akra?
If so, what did you think?

Also, has anyone installed the Akra (diff back) without the sound kit? Is it needed?
Do the valves open in Sport+?
Yes and Yes!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 1
jdl8r34.50
      05-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #90
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Akrapovic installed. Used BimmerCode to turn off ASD and open valves 100%. Makes a crazy difference, unfortunately it's not staying set once the car is off and app not loaded back up upon start up. So I guess you have to load the app each time to use the configuration

QM287.00
yaymitch867.50
      05-24-2021, 10:42 PM   #91
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post
Akrapovic installed. Used BimmerCode to turn off ASD and open valves 100%. Makes a crazy difference, unfortunately it's not staying set once the car is off and app not loaded back up upon start up. So I guess you have to load the app each time to use the configuration

At least ASD should stay off. It did in my OG M2. Not sure about the valve. Are you sure you didn't use bimmerlink instead?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #92
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post

At least ASD should stay off. It did in my OG M2. Not sure about the valve. Are you sure you didn't use bimmerlink instead?
Yes sorry, got the 2 confused. As soon as I load app all of my settling are back where I left them but this seems to be contingent on opening the app
jdl8r34.50
      05-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #93
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Try BimmerCode. The settings should stay without then need to recode or connect the OBD dongle every time.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #94
jdl8r
Private
Rep
Drives: m2cs

I just got the Akra (diff back) exhaust installed... My shop read the bmw diagnostics and could open/close the valves via ECU. When driving it, under speed, load and throttle, the valves would open. However, they stay open until you restart the car. So, if you drive it like grandpa you can keep them close, but as soon you push the throttle (even in efficient) the valves will open. Is that normal, or do I need to install the sound-kit to close them?
Attached Images

Last edited by jdl8r; 05-26-2021 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:14 PM   #95
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I just got the Akra (diff back) exhaust installed... My shop read the bmw diagnostics and could open/close the valves via ECU. When driving it, under speed, load and throttle, the valves would open. However, they stay open until you restart the car. So, if you drive it like grandpa you can keep them close, but as soon you push the throttle (even in efficient) the valves will open. Is that normal, or do I need to install the sound-kit to close them?
I could be wrong, but from my understanding the stock exhaust also has valves? And the slip on just uses the same valving system as the stock exhaust. So it opens and closes the same way the stock exhaust does. Getting the sound kit will merely let you override it via a bluetooth control. It does not facilitate the automatic opening and closing of the valves. Would be awesome if others can confirm too.
      05-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #96
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

jdl8r Check out this thread. It seems to imply that you should hear the valves open and close when changing throttle modes. And if not, it's improperly installed.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1327194
      05-26-2021, 11:35 PM   #97
jdl8r
Private
Rep

Thanks for the find!

The other thread states that the vales are open nearly all the time (in efficient or otherwise). In comfort/efficient they are open at low RPMS and when on heavy throttle. And open all the time in Sport/Sport+. So basically they're open all the time [I'll have to verify tomorrow].

I'll install the sound kit, so that they can be closed in Sport... I'd like a system that is closed MOST of the time and opens when you really want it to. The drone is just too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
jdl8r Check out this thread. It seems to imply that you should hear the valves open and close when changing throttle modes. And if not, it's improperly installed.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1327194
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:38 PM   #98
jdl8r
Private
Rep

My final commentary is that the stock exhaust actually sounds better at full throttle than the Akra... I'm considering putting it back on (and painting the belly black etc).
Appreciate 3
kyrocks1070.50
Fuji550i389.50
krm347.00
      05-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #99
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
My final commentary is that the stock exhaust actually sounds better at full throttle than the Akra... I'm considering putting it back on (and painting the belly black etc).
Yes I agree with you. I love Akra, don't get me wrong, (my 718 spyder has one) but on this car the sound of the car at WOT is superb. It just needs to be louder!
Appreciate 1
jdl8r34.50
      05-27-2021, 03:06 AM   #100
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

The akra sounds great under 5k, above that it gets a little harsh.

The akra comes with a valve controller I believe, at least mine did. If you don't turn it on, then the valves stay closed and I noticed they only open above 3k RPM regardless of Sport or Sport+ throttle. Not sure why, because stock they seem to open at low revs in any Sport mode.
Appreciate 1
jdl8r34.50
      05-27-2021, 05:42 AM   #101
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're still using the stock midpipe correct? I've heard the Akra slip-on doesn't sound all that great without an aftermarket midpipe like AA or eve the Akra evolution link pipe.
Appreciate 1
jdl8r34.50
      05-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #102
jdl8r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
You're still using the stock midpipe correct? I've heard the Akra slip-on doesn't sound all that great without an aftermarket midpipe like AA or eve the Akra evolution link pipe.
I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort, or just go back to the stock atrocity?

I'd hate to drop another 2k only to find out the AA midpipe doesn't really suit my liking. Anyone in Socal have the AA and Akra?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #103
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Quote:
I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort, or just go back to the stock atrocity?

I'd hate to drop another 2k only to find out the AA midpipe doesn't really suit my liking. Anyone in Socal have the AA and Akra?
I have AA midpipe on my CS which I ported over from my Comp before I traded it in.

I can tell you that BMW tuned out the burbles and the valves don't seem to open & close as readily when I switch between Comfort/Sport/Sport+.

As a result, I installed the sound-kit valve controller to give me full control. I live in a quiet neighborhood, so I tend to keep the valves closed most of the time.

As for the sound, it still lacks the low throaty sound so intoxicating on my OG N55 M2 with MPE.

AA now makes the rear-axle back exhaust. Has anyone tried it with the AA mid-pipe? It's a lot cheaper than the Akra.

https://x-ph.com/active-autowerke-f8...-back-exhaust/

BTW, the AA midpipe is well made and their customer support is very good.
Appreciate 1
jdl8r34.50
      05-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #104
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I think I’m going with the M performance. Found a deal for 20% off, still ridiculously expensive.
Funny, I wonder if the ASD was eliminated on this car, it’s so quiet on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #105
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:

Yes? But not really. I have the Akra leaning against my wall while I've been waiting for the AA EL for 2 months now....

Appreciate 1
jdl8r34.50
      05-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #106
jdl8r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Yes? But not really. I have the Akra leaning against my wall while I've been waiting for the AA EL for 2 months now....
Message me when it arrives!
Appreciate 1
to_riffic3023.50
      05-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #107
jdl8r
Private
Rep

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...egory=34601196

Anyone know if this works with the CS? The Akra sound kit uses bluetooth, whereas this uses the same as HomeLink and can be coded to the garage door buttons on the mirror (that's slick)!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #108
jdl8r
Private
Rep

Installed the Akra Sound Kit

...it works...
I installed the Akrapovic sound kit on my CS today. It allows me to manually control the valves. Red for open, white for closed, etc. Both the remote and the iphone app let you do so and the install only takes 30 minutes. (The iphone app works most consistently and is a better interface.)

The control module with the cables attached even looks a bit like a Scorpion... I also drilled out the plastic a bit to hang from the screw as I don't really like double-sided sticky tape as a mounting solution. Doesn't impact the tray that perches on the same screw. M5 8mm nut.

What I experience after driving it for a bit is that it only works for a temporary period of time. Once the app goes to sleep or the remote goes into battery saving mode, the valves go back to opening and closing as if the control module weren't there.

So here's my theory (or a botched the install)... My belief is that the OG and Competition models have a constant setting for their valves, depending on the driving mode, whereas the CS is more dynamic and is constantly opening and closing them. Those who have this kit and the valves stay open or closed, can you chime in and verify that you have the Competition model? Anyone with a CS that has the Akra and the valves stay permanently open or permanently closed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #109
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...it works...
I installed the Akrapovic sound kit on my CS today. It allows me to manually control the valves. Red for open, white for closed, etc. Both the remote and the iphone app let you do so and the install only takes 30 minutes. (The iphone app works most consistently and is a better interface.)

The control module with the cables attached even looks a bit like a Scorpion... I also drilled out the plastic a bit to hang from the screw as I don't really like double-sided sticky tape as a mounting solution. Doesn't impact the tray that perches on the same screw. M5 8mm nut.

What I experience after driving it for a bit is that it only works for a temporary period of time. Once the app goes to sleep or the remote goes into battery saving mode, the valves go back to opening and closing as if the control module weren't there.

So here's my theory (or a botched the install)... My belief is that the OG and Competition models have a constant setting for their valves, depending on the driving mode, whereas the CS is more dynamic and is constantly opening and closing them. Those who have this kit and the valves stay open or closed, can you chime in and verify that you have the Competition model? Anyone with a CS that has the Akra and the valves stay permanently open or permanently closed?
This is the same using BimmerLink. The valves will eventually go back to the regular settings after 10 minutes or so. I chose not to install sound kit bc BimmerLink is essentially the same thing.

Sure wish you could just keep them open without having to reload the app. These things need a simple open and shut button that works even after car is turned off, back on.
jdl8r34.50
      05-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #110
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...egory=34601196

Anyone know if this works with the CS? The Akra sound kit uses bluetooth, whereas this uses the same as HomeLink and can be coded to the garage door buttons on the mirror (that's slick)!
The VSC-2 works. I installed it about an hour ago.
Appreciate 0