BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Dedicated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

04-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #23
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Jealous of the guys that have their Akra installed already...with AA didn't have such a supply chain issue.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #24
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydarnes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Have Akra Evo (includes mid pipe), no tuning required and no CEL. Better sound, better look, weight savings and deletion of secondary cats are all advantages of Akra over stock system. The latter two are advantages over most other after market exhaust systems.
I wonder why the akra website says you need a tune when that doesn't seem to be the case... Do you find that the sound of the akra in youtube videos is representative of what it's like in person?
Not sure why website says a tune is needed, my second Akra-Evo and it definitely doesn't need a tune. Also, YouTube vids are not representative of the way it sounds in person.
      04-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #25
Hydarnes
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Not sure why website says a tune is needed, my second Akra-Evo and it definitely doesn't need a tune. Also, YouTube vids are not representative of the way it sounds in person.
I just picked up my M2 CS and boy are you right about youtube vids not being representative. It doesn't sound great stock on youtube but it sounds awesome in person. Looks like I'm putting in the Akra order soon. Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:16 PM   #26
Hydarnes
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I believe they state that because of this:
This makes sense, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #27
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Waiting on my akra now. Can't wait to hear it. Hoping the install is easy enough on some quick jacks and 1 person (me) lol
      04-30-2021, 01:19 AM   #28
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I just picked up my M2 CS and boy are you right about youtube vids not being representative. It doesn't sound great stock on youtube but it sounds awesome in person. Looks like I'm putting in the Akra order soon. Thanks for the response!
Wait. Are you saying stock sounds awesome in real life but you’re still replacing it with Akra?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:00 AM   #29
Hydarnes
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Wait. Are you saying stock sounds awesome in real life but you’re still replacing it with Akra?
My expectations were pretty low based on youtube videos so I was pleasantly surprised to like the sound. I think it's missing some oomph though and the Akra should add the aggression I'm craving.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      04-30-2021, 04:04 AM   #30
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Wait. Are you saying stock sounds awesome in real life but you're still replacing it with Akra?
My expectations were pretty low based on youtube videos so I was pleasantly surprised to like the sound. I think it's missing some oomph though and the Akra should add the aggression I'm craving.
I agree that the stock exhaust sounds good stock when pushing it to 5K RPM and the kick back when shifting. I don't find the cold start to be overly loud at all, not compared to my tuned F80 Comp with stock exhaust (The tune was already on the car when I got it so I'm guessing it was tuned with valves open and it was very burbly). My N54 135i with just a BMS tune and Catless down pipe was louder than both at cold start up. We don't have emissions checks in FL anymore.

I also don't like the sound of the Akra in videos, but would love to hear it in person. The AA set up sounded great in videos. I like the MP exhaust and the fact it's a BMW product, so I may consider that after break in, but it's a lot of $$$ for a little weight savings and sound with no real power gain.

I like the sound and look of the stock exhaust, just think the volume is a 5-6 and wish it was closer to 7-8 out of 10.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #31
6CylindersEveryDay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS, VW Golf R

The sound clips of the full AA system (stock downpipe) here do sound nice and smooth without rasp:
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #32
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

I have an idea to install the same exhaust tips to my M2CS as I installed to my M2C.
They cost nothing but I like a lot how the look.

The M2C is 2000 km away from M2CS now, so I can’t just take it off the M2C and try to fit it to M2CS

Any experience if the same exhaust tips fit both Competition and CS?

https://modeautoconcepts.com/product...n-exhaust-tips

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #33
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

I was under the impression that m2cs tips are welded onto the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #34
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
I was under the impression that m2cs tips are welded onto the exhaust.
Yes, but CS are flat pipes. I thought, that you can just put any exhaust tips on those pipes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #35
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Yes, but CS are flat pipes. I thought, that you can just put any exhaust tips on those pipes.
I'd think that if you could get the right diameter you could just slide them over stock tips.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #36
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Does CS have a different software than Competition with respect to burbles?

I have Comp and CS and both are with OPFs. The CS doesn’t produce burbles when in Sport Plus mode.
It is not that I miss the burbles so much, but it seems a bit strange to me.

P.S. I have installed the AK motion unit in both cars and exactly in the CS it didn’t work properly after install. So I had to do factory reset of the AK motion in the CS and only after that it started to operate properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #37
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Does CS have a different software than Competition with respect to burbles?

I have Comp and CS and both are with OPFs. The CS doesn’t produce burbles when in Sport Plus mode.
It is not that I miss the burbles so much, but it seems a bit strange to me.

P.S. I have installed the AK motion unit in both cars and exactly in the CS it didn’t work properly after install. So I had to do factory reset of the AK motion in the CS and only after that it started to operate properly.
From what I can tell there is significant difference. The M2C sounds way better even US models without OPF.

I don’t like the burble heavy sounds but I wish it had maybe a little something on the CS
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #38
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
From what I can tell there is significant difference. The M2C sounds way better even US models without OPF.

I don’t like the burble heavy sounds but I wish it had maybe a little something on the CS

So the SC is quieter? Then it explains everything.

I am adding the AA single midpipe within couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #39
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I want to do the EL mid pipe but doesn’t seem there is any exhaust solution that doesn’t require cutting and clamping- can that really ever affect resale too much? Seems ridiculous if so
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #40
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv-cs View Post
I want to do the EL mid pipe but doesn’t seem there is any exhaust solution that doesn’t require cutting and clamping- can that really ever affect resale too much? Seems ridiculous if so
If you are keeping the rear section, then yeah you have to cut and clamp because the OEM piece is one long piece from downpipes to tips. If you get another muffler (aa? remus? akra?) with the AA EL, then its all bolts and clamps since you are removing the OEM piece completely.

And no one will refuse to buy your car because your stock exhaust was cut and clamped.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1056.00
      05-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #41
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv-cs View Post
If you really felt like you were keeping your car as a collectible, then one day I do believe it would make a difference. The factory replacement from bmw is multiple pieces so it's likely the original will be identifiable. On the flip side you can order a factory rear section for $1500 and use that with the EL midpipe. I believe it will be a very long time before anyone would see depreciation from cutting the exhaust. That being said, I refuse to cut mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #42
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:

Agreed, the CS is embarrassingly quiet
Appreciate 1
Golden3ye498.50
      05-09-2021, 12:38 AM   #43
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post

Is this bacause of the rear muffler being different or because the software is different from the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #44
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Quote:

CS is quite a lot louder and deeper than M2C. It makes lots of cool noises too. And thankfully zero fake pops and crackles which were terribly embarrassing in the M2C. It actually sounds like a BMW 6 from years gone by. Love it.
Appreciate 0