BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Dedicated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

04-27-2021, 11:46 PM   #1
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Dedicated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

Did a search and didn't see a comprehensive thread to discuss all things exhausts. Lets consolidate here and talk options, plans, experiences and reviews.

What exhausts did you go with? Any issues? Would go a different route? Haven't pulled the trigger but have a plan? Share it here.

Have links to other threads you think are helpful? Post it here and I'll update this list.

Helpful links I've found.

M Performance Exhaust Fitment

Remus Exhaust

Stock Exhaust Note Discussion

M Performance Exhaust Fitted. First Impressions

Last edited by michaeldorian; 05-17-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2021, 02:57 AM   #2
Hydarnes
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M2 CS

Very appreciative of the thread! I don't particularly like the way the akrapovic sounds (in the videos anyways) but I'm madly in love with akrapovic and I'm leaning towards throwing that on. I've noticed that the akrapovic website says you have to do cutting of stock pipes and tune the car itself though which is worrisome as I really don't want to mess with the warranty.

If anyone has an akra on I'd love to hear what you think of it and if you really had to get a tune to avoid a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #3
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Dedicated Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

I've gone with the one that came with it. Beautiful sound. Love it. Loud when it needs to be when driving. Lovely note. No synthetic pops and crackles. My only complaint is the stupidly loud startup but that only lasts for a minute. I can live with that. Very satisfied overall.
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2615.50
Alpine*1281.00
      04-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

I installed the MPE. Overpriced, but this is the exhaust that should have come on the car. Burger Tuning device to keep the flaps open all the time and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
DocEyes
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM X3, 2020 BSM M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
I installed the MPE. Overpriced, but this is the exhaust that should have come on the car. Burger Tuning device to keep the flaps open all the time and I love it.
I’m debating the MPE or just leaving it stock. It would be great if someone with the MPE on their CS could upload a video/sound clip.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
C2Spin
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS, Porsche GT3 RS

Thanks for creating this thread. When I get my new exhaust in May/June I will definitely post info here.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydarnes View Post
Very appreciative of the thread! I don't particularly like the way the akrapovic sounds (in the videos anyways) but I'm madly in love with akrapovic and I'm leaning towards throwing that on. I've noticed that the akrapovic website says you have to do cutting of stock pipes and tune the car itself though which is worrisome as I really don't want to mess with the warranty.

If anyone has an akra on I'd love to hear what you think of it and if you really had to get a tune to avoid a CEL.
If you get the midpipe you don't have to do any cutting. I kind of agree with you on the sound on the videos with the M2C I've watched. It sounds less refined right? More grumbably. I do love the design and craftsmanship though.

Where did you see tuning was required? I did not see that on the website.
      04-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Have Akra Evo (includes mid pipe), no tuning required and no CEL. Better sound, better look, weight savings and deletion of secondary cats are all advantages of Akra over stock system. The latter two are advantages over most other after market exhaust systems.
      04-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #9
LukasM2CS
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS, BMW 440i

I had full Akrap on the M3 and was great but now for the CS just like to have something special and i really like the idea of AA Equal mid pipe so i have ordered it. Just waiting more then 6 weeks now and should arrive any time now - can not wait :-) My friend have full Akrap on the M2CS (mid pipe and slip on) it is nice sound but still something missing. I think Akrap sound much better on the other cars brands but the M cars not (sorry)...
Appreciate 1
kyrocks1070.50
      04-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM2CS View Post
I had full Akrap on the M3 and was great but now for the CS just like to have something special and i really like the idea of AA Equal mid pipe so i have ordered it. Just waiting more then 6 weeks now and should arrive any time now - can not wait :-) My friend have full Akrap on the M2CS (mid pipe and slip on) it is nice sound but still something missing. I think Akrap sound much better on the other cars brands but the M cars not (sorry)...
I feel like the uneven length exhaust length is the identity of the M2's sound. It makes it sound raw and feral. It matches the driving characteristics of the chassis.

SOLD:
2012 135i | Le Mans | 6MT
1986 535i | Cirrus Blue Metallic | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
dsforman13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
If you get the midpipe you don't have to do any cutting. I kind of agree with you on the sound on the videos with the M2C I've watched. It sounds less refined right? More grumbably. I do love the design and craftsmanship though.

It is noted on their website but not required. I've spoken to several local shops and they all said no. DP's different story.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You don't need tuning if you are running stock downpipes.

I ordered AA EL midpipe and Remus Sport axleback back in January. I got the AA EL a couple weeks later, but the Remus was on back order. Just the other day (3 months later), I get an email saying that Remus USA is no longer the distributor for Remus products and my order has been delayed indefinitely.

I ended up ordering an Akrapovic to pair with the AA EL, and hope that the sound is good enough.

My point... REMUS is not an option in the USA at this time. Don't bother.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM2CS View Post
My friend have full Akrap on the M2CS (mid pipe and slip on) it is nice sound but still something missing. I think Akrap sound much better on the other cars brands but the M cars not (sorry)...
Do you think it sounds better than stock though? Or worse in general? What are you expecting from just the AA midpipe?
      04-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #14
homemade_f81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i, 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Have Akra Evo (includes mid pipe), no tuning required and no CEL. Better sound, better look, weight savings and deletion of secondary cats are all advantages of Akra over stock system. The latter two are advantages over most other after market exhaust systems.
100% on this one...I've got the Akra Evo as well and totally love it. With the full system (from downpipes back) there is no cutting required and it's a super straight forward install. This should take less than two hours to install.

I prefer the Akra over the stock system in almost every situation...the only exception is the cold start with valves closed. Somehow on cold start it sounds more industrial than the stock system...although I wasn't a big fan of the cold start sound on the stock system either. In every other situation Akra wins hands down - at least in my book, but that's a matter of taste and preference. It's almost as docile as stock in efficient mode and is way louder under wot in sport+...I can leave my neighborhood in the morning without waking the neighbors and really open it up if I want to. And cruising on the highway I can forget it's there - zero drone.

As far as weight, looks and performance...it's absolutely no comparison vs the stock system. Workmanship is a work of art - I could be wrong but I think very few other exhaust systems come anywhere close on quality. Looks are once again subjective (to a degree), but to my eyes this is the best looking set up out there and it totally fixes the "diaper butt" or "udder" look of the stock system. It looks so good now. I had contemplated the MPE...but got turned off by the way it looks, still hangs waay too low for my liking.

And then you factor in a 40+ lbs weight savings and probably 10-15 bhp (mostly due to removal of mid cats)...the only real drawback is how pricey the thing is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
yaymitch863.00
M2CS1024.50
      04-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #15
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade_f81 View Post
100% on this one...I've got the Akra Evo as well and totally love it. With the full system (from downpipes back) there is no cutting required and it's a super straight forward install. This should take less than two hours to install.

I prefer the Akra over the stock system in almost every situation...the only exception is the cold start with valves closed. Somehow on cold start it sounds more industrial than the stock system...although I wasn't a big fan of the cold start sound on the stock system either. In every other situation Akra wins hands down - at least in my book, but that's a matter of taste and preference. It's almost as docile as stock in efficient mode and is way louder under wot in sport+...I can leave my neighborhood in the morning without waking the neighbors and really open it up if I want to. And cruising on the highway I can forget it's there - zero drone.

As far as weight, looks and performance...it's absolutely no comparison vs the stock system. Workmanship is a work of art - I could be wrong but I think very few other exhaust systems come anywhere close on quality. Looks are once again subjective (to a degree), but to my eyes this is the best looking set up out there and it totally fixes the "diaper butt" or "udder" look of the stock system. It looks so good now. I had contemplated the MPE...but got turned off by the way it looks, still hangs waay too low for my liking.

And then you factor in a 40+ lbs weight savings and probably 10-15 bhp (mostly due to removal of mid cats)...the only real drawback is how pricey the thing is.
Got any video or sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #16
M2forme
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

I am curious if the car will pass emissions (sniffer) without the mid-cats or do you need to revert to stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #17
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

private message me your email and I can send a sound clip of the MPE on my CS. The file type is not supported - or able to be uploaded here. I have my '17 - N55 - with its MPE running and then start the CS so you can compare the two.
Appreciate 2
QM287.00
      04-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2forme View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I am curious if the car will pass emissions (sniffer) without the mid-cats or do you need to revert to stock?
Had it on my F80 and it passed emissions.
M2forme84.00
      04-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #19
Hydarnes
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post

It seems I was wrong about the tune being required for the slip on! The website does however say it's required for the midpipe (link pipe?) addition. One saving grace may be that the sound just doesn't come through well on phone cameras. I don't think the M4 GTS sounds great in youtube videos but my friend has one and that thing sounds amazing in person. I might just bank on this being the case and go for it since the design/craftsmanship is excellent and I have a some sentimental value towards Akra.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #20
Hydarnes
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the post! Do you feel that the Akra's sound doesn't really come across properly in youtube videos, or does it seem to be relatively representative? My friend has an M4 GTS and I've noticed it sounds infinitely better in person than what the videos give off.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #21
Hydarnes
Rep

Quote:
I wonder why the akra website says you need a tune when that doesn't seem to be the case... Do you find that the sound of the akra in youtube videos is representative of what it's like in person?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #22
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydarnes View Post
I wonder why the akra website says you need a tune when that doesn't seem to be the case...
I believe they state that because of this:

Quote:
The system was developed on BMW M2 Competition (F87N) equipped with OPF/GPF
Appreciate 1