BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > UK - OG M2 road & track

04-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #67
Sam-R
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budwab View Post
Nice build.....Did the Deadweight battery need any coding to the car?

Thanks
Thank you

Nope, no coding need. Literally plug and play weight loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #68
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Cheers Sam.

My combo is a little different with B16's/millway camber plates and 18x10 et20 upfront. Couldn't source cup 2 connects in the sizes I wanted at the time so just making do with ns2-r as stop gap.

Overall poke should be very close to your 9.5 et25 with 10mm spacer however clearance will be less between the wheel and coilover. I'm pretty sure the b16's have better clearance than the clubsports so we will see.

Thanks for your help ����
Let me know how you get on. Would have loved to of gone 10j front but didn’t feel comfortable. Have a local mate now with 10j et20 set of wheels that I’ll try on and see what I can go for if ever change rims.
Appreciate 1
Daleb263.00
      04-15-2021, 07:09 AM   #69
Sam-R
Private
Rep

March 2021 Update

Not too much has gone on with the car around waiting for parts and ill health/surgery, but I'm back fit & well and cracking on with the list below in the coming weekends.
  • H&R anti-roll-bars (finally arrived)
  • Whiteline adjustable drop links
  • Hardrace adjustable rear toe links
  • Powerflex 0.5 caster adding front bush to help some turn in
  • Need to block the gaping hole in KW camber top-mount to stop road crap
  • Powerflex exhaust back box hangers
  • Plumb in 2" front brake ducts
  • Swap to track pads (RSL29) & sand discs
  • Swap to track bucket seats (Recaro SPA) & clip in harnesses
  • Take for a wheel alignment
Have Bedford GT booked for day after Easter Monday so will be a good shakedown for hopefully more track days to come.

One thing I have managed to fit is a tow strap & custom cover

Untitled by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

Made the opening big enough so the strap could double back.... nobody likes a flappy strap.

Paint came out pretty well for a colour matched rattle can

Bought, cut up and painted a spare cover so will only run it on track days.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:10 AM   #70
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Ever since seeing Oli with this setup I've wanted to copy him.

Should have bought some Quick-Jacks years and years ago!

Added 65 feet worth of 4x2" wood for the chocks so can put them under what ever axle I'm not working on for extra safety or lower the car completely onto them so can work under it at ride height.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #71
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Bedford-GT report

Got everything done on my list above apart from the rear Anti-Roll-Bar as just ran out of time and it's quite a big job. (Possibly tackle it this weekend)

So once that's done can start to properly dial in the handling

TPMS done my head in again, cold day so track temps were very low. Set a hot PSI of circa 31/32 then by the time you've cooled off and gone back out again the tyres have dropped a whole heap of PSI then the system thinks you're under pressured and flags an amber error, locks you in comfort mode and switches traction back on... nightmare
Have to do a weaving out-lap then pit, come to a complete stop and perform a reset then away you go again in hope you've put enough temp/PSI back in the tyres by the time the system resets.... one session I didn't so had to pit again in a following lap.

Last session of the day actually got black flagged on my out lap for "excessive weaving" need to put a stop to this.

Found out you can have the TPMS coded out and use RDC, what e46 & e92 use, run off ABS sensors I believe. Lot more stable for track use and will still notify you if have a flat.

Racaro SPA and ASM harnesses in for track

H&R front sway bar with Whiteline adjustable drop links - Mumbray brake backing plates and a 3D printed lower scoop

Hardrace adjustable toe arms - Whiteline adjustable drop links - Rear ARB to follow (not that you can see it)

Appreciate 1
Smiler1.50
      04-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #72
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Oh and now my M2 on road tyres, stock map & brakes has matched the lap time of my M3 track car on AP Racing brakes & BTCC slicks

Appreciate 2
Daleb263.00
      04-15-2021, 07:33 AM   #73
Sam-R
Private
Rep

XSP_6646 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_5720 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_5719 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_5505 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_5397 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_5193 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr
Appreciate 3
      04-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #74
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Got the rear Anti-Roll-Bar/sway bar in last Saturday

Wasn't a job I was looking forward to so watched a few how to videos and wrote myself out some step by step notes. Got started around midday with a slight hangover, took my time and got it all done in 3 and a bit hours.

Rear is not adjustable but front is (which I set to stiff/hard) so now everything chassis wise is bolted on I can get a feel for the car and adjust accordingly.
Appreciate 1
BruceM983.00
      05-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #75
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-R View Post
Bedford-GT report

Mumbray brake backing plates and a 3D printed lower scoop

Sam - where/how did you get lower scoops 3D printed ? Cheers BP
      05-11-2021, 05:50 AM   #76
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Sam - where/how did you get lower scoops 3D printed ? Cheers BP
Was through a friend of a friend. But believe Pinnacle Motorsport may do them now.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      05-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #77
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Had ZedCoding get rid of the TPMS so no more dramas on track, reverts back to the more basic system the e46/e92 run so I'll still get notified if get a actual flat tyre, just loose the PSI & temp read out but they were never spot on anyway.

Next track days are Goodwood at Players Classic show then Cadwell Park in July with Track Obsession.
Appreciate 1
FIDDIE12.00
      06-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #78
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Let me know how you get on. Would have loved to of gone 10j front but didn’t feel comfortable. Have a local mate now with 10j et20 set of wheels that I’ll try on and see what I can go for if ever change rims.
Got the wheels fitted up with no issues. Unfortunately still on the oem dampeners with lowering springs, still waiting on the replacement b16 to arrive.

-3* up front with a 265/35 ns2-r and no rubbing after a nc500 trip so it’s all good.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #79
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Are you still on stock cat and exhaust?
I went and got mine noise tested at brands this evening and it blew 101 in comfort the 108.8 in full ASBO mode LOL (fabspeed sportscat and MPE)

A day at Bedford has come up from a friend but I know they are strict on noise up there.
Never had a problem with the hair dryer of the Megane I had

Also just ordered a restore44 front splitter, see you had one fitted guessing the reason u swapped out was to run brake ducts?
The the r44 one hold up well?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #80
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyc66 View Post
Are you still on stock cat and exhaust?
I went and got mine noise tested at brands this evening and it blew 101 in comfort the 108.8 in full ASBO mode LOL (fabspeed sportscat and MPE)

A day at Bedford has come up from a friend but I know they are strict on noise up there.
Never had a problem with the hair dryer of the Megane I had

Also just ordered a restore44 front splitter, see you had one fitted guessing the reason u swapped out was to run brake ducts?
The the r44 one hold up well?
Yeah un-mapped and stock exhaust, the way it will staying.

Not a chance you'll get on at Bedford, probably struggle at most track with that to be fair.

Yes the R44 lip can put up to some abuse.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 01:21 AM   #81
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Yeah un-mapped and stock exhaust, the way it will staying.

Not a chance you'll get on at Bedford, probably struggle at most track with that to be fair.

Yes the R44 lip can put up to some abuse.
As long as I booked 102 or above days I will be fine and keeping the MPE off.
Just need to look and take note of static levels instead of just booking.
Shouldn’t have an issue at Anglesey part the 5hr drive

My car has a few bits (intercooler/panel filter/hard pipes/cat) but no map and has been rollered at just over 390 so they response well to mods even without mapping. (Obviously would be better with a map but I’m not that fussed)
Only reason I would get mapped is to get rid of the awful cold start.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #82
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Been a while...

End of May went along to Donington in my Friends E36 328i which I helped build and was honored to take it for a few laps.

PS4 road tyres and not all much power was a different experience, still a fair amount of squeal trying to scrub off as little speed as possible and throttle pinned for a huge percentage of the lap.

51208960478_71bbbf9287_o (2) by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

XSP_0831 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_0864 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #83
Sam-R
Private
Rep

June Players Classic at Goodwood

Love this circuit but nearly had a bit of an off explanation below

Didn't do as many sessions as I would've like but was chewing through fuel and called it a day once has consumed circa 85 litres

@samratcliffe_-3 by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

@samratcliffe_-5 by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

51279237341_4b1177fc60_o by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

51279408123_6e46af8480_o by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

51280253940_0997cc53b8_o by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

51279225141_3c9677f245_o by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

51280246815_639f950ae6_o by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

Best of the day was a few 1:26's which again matches my M3 time on slicks. Last 2 sessions in the afternoon were a bit of a rush with how the pit lane worked so wasn't able to film nor time so there could have been an improvement then... we'll never know.

The story behind the slide, ill post a link to the videos first then ramble on (sorry its only an instagram link)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQZK8..._web_copy_link

First session out and I was really taking my time to find my usual rhythm, couldn't get my mind and body to just click and Goodwood is somewhere to respect.

Goodwood runs in sessions and not your usual open pit lane, so as soon as you leave one I queue up to go out again, that happened quicker than I was expecting, so it was a bit of a rush and I didn't have time to touch my tyre pressure, can't remember exactly but they were all higher than I would have liked which resulted in them going off a little quicker than I had hoped.

Three corners before the slide, through turn one Madgwick I had a tiny bit of rotation, so already knew tyres were getting past their peak.

Corner in question St Mary's the only real left hander on the track, so in theory the right hand side tyres wouldn't have been getting the same amount of punishment compared to the lefts.

Down to the real excesses now... I'd got use to catching the odd little slide with a leather steering wheel and no gloves. Now that I've a freshly alcantara trimmed wheel I wanted to take care of it so bought some fancy fireproof gloves, maybe I need more time wearing them but I really didn't get on with them, you loose a little bit of feeling hands to wheel from the thickness of the gloves and obviously a lot gripper than clamy hands on leather.
Believe when the first slide happened I over corrected ? As the wheel doesn't glide through my hands easy as before. Then that just opened a tin of worms. St Mary's has a fair dip/drop in it which is going to reduce grip, upon "catching" the first slide I then entered the dip and it snapped violently again.

A lot of jazz hands happened, think I only lifted on the second snap as if got any worse would've jumped on the brakes maybe. Properly wacked my elbow on the centre console and possible the iDrive knob as can see the display screen change and I also managed to chuck in an accidental downshift to 3rd gear for good measure.

All in all a good day and glad to have driven away from that one.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #84
Sam-R
Private
Rep

July Cadwell Park with Track Obsession

This time I made a few upgrades... as such

Didn't have an amazing front end at Goodwood so backed off the front anti-roll-bar from hard to soft and that killed the understeer

Managed to get my hands on some genuine M2 comp wing mirrors, a lovely upgrade from "M4 style" conversion kit

Lastly I removed the chrome exhaust tips that had seen better days, the pipes underneath were far from pretty but with a good bit of cleaning up I'm happy with the results and it in future I can simply clean them with rough pad

Cadwell Park went pretty well, a circuit I've only driven once before in the half wet in a Clio so its still pretty new to me, Definitely need more seat time here to find some speed.

Early morning lighting it up over the mountain my exhaust rubber snapped

KRF_8469 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

Few clips and a cable tie saw me through the rest of the day

KRF_9601 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

KRF_9541 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

KRF_9481 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

KRF_9401 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

KRF_7794 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

KRF_7720 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

KRF_7390 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

Finding some pace I was getting a bit of rubbing turning into the mountain, I just put it down to the splitter scuffing the floor, it was that but it was also the front tyre wearing through the splash guard and making contact with the headlight mounting bracket, far from ideal

That hole when you can see the metal work is meant to have arch liner covering it

Also I'd wrecked the front from running them over pressured, turns out should be about 27/28psi hot

So that's two front Cup 2 connects dead and replaced... they got three track days and rears are wearing well, but I do want/need little more than -3 camber upfront. Now I know what pressure to run I should be able to get more life out them.

Will need to address in arch sharp bits to return back to Cadwell Park.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #85
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Went to Donington last week, was a very grey & windy day with the odd showers.

Good day for making power, bad day for grip as had to explore the levels every time you went out.

XSP_4466 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_4465 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_4359 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_4294 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_4119 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_3875 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_3479 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_3248 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_3185 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

XSP_3157 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

01 Xtreme Photography_06 by Javelin Trackdays, on Flickr

Lap of the day posted above, not the fastest nor tidiest but a fan day none the less.

Tyres held out and wore better at 28psi front & 32psi rear. hot.. may even drop the front another 0.5 or 1psi.

Nothing else booked yet as ran out of front pads, don't fancy putting more decent pads in brakes I don't like so will stick the money towards some AP 5000R.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #86
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Being on the long limbed side seating position has always been a struggle

47mm steering spacer has enabled me to get my legs in a comfy position and still be able to reach the wheel with a good elbow bend.... only trouble is the further the wheel comes back the higher it gets.

Lowered the column on my E46 but doubt that's an option on this, will just have to get use to it being a bit higher than I would of liked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #87
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Big upgrade!

Wanting to address the brakes for a while, the Malc AP racing 5000R kit with used BTCC discs and pads was the obvious option to keep future spending down.

When for anti rattle kits on the pads & discs to make road driving pleasant
368x36mm J-hook disc
ST45 pads

At Bedford-GT Monday so be nice to see what gain they'll make. Be the 5th day for the rear tyres so hope they've not done too many cycles.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #88
43%burnt
Rep
Drives: '21 SO M2C 6MT

Quote:
Being on the long limbed side seating position has always been a struggle

47mm steering spacer has enabled me to get my legs in a comfy position and still be able to reach the wheel with a good elbow bend.... only trouble is the further the wheel comes back the higher it gets.

Lowered the column on my E46 but doubt that's an option on this, will just have to get use to it being a bit higher than I would of liked.
Who makes the spacer? Works with OEM steering wheel retaining all the controls/air bag? I have the same problem. I would love to have the steering wheel back more with my long legs. Thanks.
Appreciate 0