BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Brake Pad knocking sound (Non Comp)

05-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Front Brake Pad knocking sound (Non Comp)

Probably this topic has been discussed before, but I will like to see if someone have experience the same problem when replacing the front brake pad. I have tried 3 different drake pad and all male the same knocking sound in (revers or forward).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

What pads are you trying? I'm on Porterfield and have not heard any knocks reverse or forward
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
What pads are you trying? I'm on Porterfield and have not heard any knocks reverse or forward

I have one set of Brembo and another set of Hawk.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I believe this is normal as the hole for the pins to go through is wider than the stock pads. My track pads (Pagid) do that too when braking forward to braking backward and vice versa.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

If it's a single knock after each change of direction (forward / backwards), then it's completely normal and does not affect braking performance at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
If it's a single knock after each change of direction (forward / backwards), then it's completely normal and does not affect braking performance at all.
Ok so I have another thread going on this just a few threads down. Long story short I swapped out the OEM pads for Pagid RSL 29 pads and i'm getting the knocking sound going forward and backwards at low speed.

Turner Motorsport is telling me that I forgot to swap out the metal "shims or plates" that come equipped on the OEM pads. See my thread below with pics of these metal plates.

So I spend a half hour carefully prying these off of the OEM pads and am going to Turner to take my Pagids off, have them install the plates, and reinstall the brakes. I have a track event next week and no time to do this.

According to Turner this is a step I missed and should solve the knocking problem. But what i'm hearing in this thread is that it's normal and this likely will NOT stop the knocking sound? It's pretty loud and annoying and I was worried it might wreck my rotors.
      05-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

I recently posted on Rennlist about this exact topic. It's not uncommon to see size variation in pad backing plates across different brands, particularly with race compounds. Some brands run smaller or larger than others, and they can vary by a couple millimeters in some dimensions. As noted by others, if the holes for the pad retainers aren't precise, they will allow the pads to move around a bit in the caliper.

A thumping or knocking sound typically occurs when the pads move from one end of the caliper to the other and make contact with the caliper body...clunk! This would likely be most pronounced when going from forward to reverse or vice versa, so don't let it scare you...it will happen.

In our AP Racing calipers, we have stainless steel abutment plates to resist the wear caused by this type of pad movement. Many OEM calipers just allow the pads to make contact with the aluminum caliper body.

The little metal shims are for squeal/vibration damping, and they aren't going to make the pad longer, or make the pins fit more snugly in the holes in the backing plate. In other words, the metal shims won't ever solve a clunk!

Hopefully that helps. Based on your description, it doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

All, to close the loop on this, I went to Turner Motorsports today in Amesbury MA and had them install the metal plates that are standard on the OEM M brake pads onto the Pagid RSL 29 pads. Night and day difference. No clunking of the brake pads at all now and the squealing is cut in half.

I highly recommend transferring the OEM M plates onto your track pads. I'm trying to see if I can buy these plates just the plates so I don't have to transfer back and forth but no luck as of yet.

Also Turner gave me the adhesive they use to fasten the plates to the Pagids. It's the Loctite EA 9560 adhesive. You only need a few little dabs.
      05-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

jclaib7 are you able to provide a picture of the loctite adhesive? The number u provided didn't come up in a quick search.
      05-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
jclaib7 are you able to provide a picture of the loctite adhesive? The number u provided didn't come up in a quick search.
The turner guy wrote "Loctite EA 9460 Adhesive" on a note pad.

I found the link below on Amazon. I think it's the same.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WSKPL4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It seems like more of a permanent solution. Not sure if I could pry them off again if set with this adhesive. I'm working on buying the plates alone and will post if I find them.