BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clicking sound turning wheel

04-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Clicking sound turning wheel

I recently lowered car with eibach springs and turner spacers. I noticed a clicking sound when wheels are turned nearly all the way but only on right side. I took it back to the shop. They double checked everything to make sure everything is tight and still had the problem. Then they told me to let the springs settle in for a couple hundred miles till the sound goes away. Worst case scenario is a wheel bearing issue. Anyone heard of these clicking sounds before?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
I recently lowered car with eibach springs and turner spacers. I noticed a clicking sound when wheels are turned nearly all the way but only on right side. I took it back to the shop. They double checked everything to make sure everything is tight and still had the problem. Then they told me to let the springs settle in for a couple hundred miles till the sound goes away. Worst case scenario is a wheel bearing issue. Anyone heard of these clicking sounds before?
How is the plastic bearing in the top hat?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Quote:
How is the plastic bearing in the top hat?
I have no idea but they took off the wheel and checked everything. I can try to mention that to them tomorrow. It was worked on by a former master tech from BMW. He also overtorque wheels to make sure they were right.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
srleadjb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes. BMW has a bulletin for this. Mine is in the shop for this now. It requires some type of shim between the wheel and bearings or something like that. Your dealer should know about it. My car is not lowered so that shouldn't be the cause....
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      05-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #5
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post
Yes. BMW has a bulletin for this. Mine is in the shop for this now. It requires some type of shim between the wheel and bearings or something like that. Your dealer should know about it. My car is not lowered so that shouldn't be the cause....
Mine was fixed by the shop forman. He re tightened some bolts and nuts here and there and it was caused by the steering rack being loose. Also the sound amplifies on concrete vs smooth slick surface.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Mine also has a continous clicking sound when turning tight. You have any more info on the bulletin?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
srleadjb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Quote:
Mine also has a continous clicking sound when turning tight. You have any more info on the bulletin?
Mine is fixed. It actually wasn't the bulletin that he had previously described where a shim is fitted to the back of the wheel bearings.

In my case it was the body flexing against itself and part of the front bumper. Tightened and repositioned things and it's quiet again. Sorry I know that's not very specific but that's how he explained it.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      05-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Mine is fixed. It actually wasn't the bulletin that he had previously described where a shim is fitted to the back of the wheel bearings.

In my case it was the body flexing against itself and part of the front bumper. Tightened and repositioned things and it's quiet again. Sorry I know that's not very specific but that's how he explained it.
Could you possibly find the bulletin ID/number? My local BMW tech can't find it
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 02:17 AM   #9
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

I noticed my clicking sound came back a lil but since it's not a big deal I'm not rushing to get it fixed yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Das Kommander
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MG 6MT M2

Clicking sound from front wheels when turning

I've been hearing a clicking sound when turning left (and sometimes right) at low speeds. It's not real loud or particularly scary sounding, but it's been consistent for the past few weeks. I'm considering taking it to the dealer for inspection. Any new information about a possible bulletin or diagnosis?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

No news on this issue here in Sweden :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
Das Kommander
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm taking my M2 in for service for this "clicking noise when turning" issue tomorrow (getting consistent metallic clicks when turning in either direction now). I specifically mentioned this thread and the service bulletin. I'll let you know what they find or do to repair it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Das Kommander
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Took my M2 w/14,000 miles in to the dealer today to address the ticking noise when turning, which I was able to replicate for them in the dealer's parking lot. Here's what they did, as written in the service invoice:

"Put car on lift, removed both front wheels, calipers and rotors. Sanded off rust from inner surface of rotors. Applied a friction washer between both front wheel hubs and rotor. Re-installed rotors and calipers. Sanded outer surface of rotors to remove rust. Sanded inner ring of front rims. Installed another friction washer between rotors and rims. Torqued wheels and test drove car. No more ticking noise can be heard."

Hope this does the trick. Time will tell.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Kommander View Post
I'm taking my M2 in for service for this "clicking noise when turning" issue tomorrow (getting consistent metallic clicks when turning in either direction now). I specifically mentioned this thread and the service bulletin. I'll let you know what they find or do to repair it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Kommander View Post

I bet the swaybar end links are not torqued enough
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #15
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

So I took it to BMW and apparently the suspension hardware was the problem. The bolts were replaced as they were only a one time use and now the noise is officially gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #16
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Glad it all worked out!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #17
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

But now it feels like the turning angle of car makes it easier to over steer. Not sure if they changed anything to affect this.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #18
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
So I took it to BMW and apparently the suspension hardware was the problem. The bolts were replaced as they were only a one time use and now the noise is officially gone.
Dude not sure what they were feeding you but I have never replaced the hardware when installing springs or coil overs. Just always torque it to spec.... nave had an issue. They probably found something that was not completely tight and just torqued it. Did they charge you?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:24 AM   #19
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Dude not sure what they were feeding you but I have never replaced the hardware when installing springs or coil overs. Just always torque it to spec.... nave had an issue. They probably found something that was not completely tight and just torqued it. Did they charge you?
Nah no charge which was cool of them cuz it's under warranty even though was after market parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #20
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Regarding ur oversteer... there’s a table of things to do... http://www.morpca.org/drivers-educat...eer-oversteer/

The height of front and different alignment would be easiest for you....
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      03-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #21
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
Regarding ur oversteer... there’s a table of things to do... http://www.morpca.org/drivers-educat...eer-oversteer/

The height of front and different alignment would be easiest for you....

I checked my tire pressure today and the rear right tire was under inflated by 2 psi vs the others....haven't drove enough to test out as road was wet. I'm also getting an alignment Tuesday and will let BMW know if they need to stiffen front shocks,sway bars or springs to see if it's the cause. I drove my friends M2 and his steering was lil lighter and more comfortable on turns.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #22
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

I got an alignment at BMW and turns out there was a significant enough amount that was off front and rear. The car now feels perfect. The steering wheels feels lighter and turns more comfortably. Also the straight line grip and acceleration has improved too.
Attached Images

Last edited by D CHOI; 03-13-2018 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
dj202093.50