gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Mustang Dyno Pull

Fun little pull on the dyno today.

3rd gear pull to redline on Mustang Dynamometer

- Active Autowerkes Equal Length Unresonated Midpipe
- Active Autowerkes Valved Axleback (Valves Open)
- Impulse Combustion Turned Off (Those stupid pops and bangs from the exhaust)
- Eventuri Carbon Fiber Intakes
- Stock ECU tune
These mods should barely affect power output from stock (no matter what these companies tell you). Speed density.
Ambient Temperature is a Warm/Cool 75 F. Had an issue with putting the car in to dyno mode so we had to just run the dyno in 4WD mode.

Makes consistent power pull after pull. BMW did a good job with the cooling on this car. Sorry for the poor quality video. I'll grab a screenshot of the dyno graph the next time I need to head in.

The Mustang Dyno... aka the 'Heartbreaker' Dyno. True to its name, always reads lower than most. Dynapacks seem to read a lot higher than most due to not having to deal with moving the wheels. Putting the dyno in 4WD mode also put a bit more power loss. That large green section you saw in the dyno graph vid is where the rear tires broke loose for a second (throttle mapping was in comfort mode too) on an earlier pull.
Came out to 411 whp and 420 lbs-ft.

This was the first time I heard my exhaust from outside the car though. It sounds nuts!
Enjoy!

Last edited by gmhl10; 12-03-2021 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
6speed_M23633.50
      12-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Thanks for posting! My 2017 M4 Comp (S55) was dyno'd at 387 HP and 401 ft/lb torque. Dyno's are really only helpful for comparing different cars on the same dyno machine for a relative comparison. However my 387 HP and your 411 hp numbers are consistent with an expected loss of 10-13% from drivetrain loss based on a starting point of 444hp, which BMW publishes! So, that leads me to think the 444 claimed HP is probably legit! The torque numbers on yours and my M4 2017 are more puzzling and suggest perhaps greater torque than claimed by BMW, however, once again, I think that Dyno's are really only useful for relative comparisons..

Last edited by Ilikemike; 12-04-2021 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Thanks for posting! My 2017 M4 Comp (S55) was dyno'd at 387 HP and 401 ft/lb torque. Dyno's are really only helpful for comparing different cars on the same dyno machine for a relative comparison. However my 387 HP and your 411 hp numbers are consistent with an expected loss of 10-13% from drivetrain loss based on a starting point of 444hp, which BMW publishes! So, that leads me to think the 444 claimed HP is probably legit! The torque numbers on yours and my M4 2017 are more puzzling and suggest perhaps greater torque than claimed by BMW, however, once again, I think that Dyno's are really only useful for relative comparisons..
Likely because the dyno was in 3rd. I believe 5th gear is 1:1 and is the gear that should be used for actual HP numbers. You are 100% correct, the delta of HP from a modification (same day, same dyno, etc.) is really what a dyno should be used for. It is always fun to see one on the rollers though...
      12-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Which dyno did you run it on? From my experience in the tuning industry, different dynos also report different numbers as well, even being the same car/day. But, like you said, dynos are really only useful for relative comparisons. What can I say, I just wanted to have some fun . Odd, why I couldn't get the rolling mode activated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Likely because the dyno was in 3rd. I believe 5th gear is 1:1 and is the gear that should be used for actual HP numbers. You are 100% correct, the delta of HP from a modification (same day, same dyno, etc.) is really what a dyno should be used for. It is always fun to see one on the rollers though...
While that's true, which gear you run it at also depends on final drive ratio too. I will admit, 3rd gear might have been the wrong gear to try it at though, hence, the wheel slip.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #5
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
While that's true, which gear you run it at also depends on final drive ratio too. I will admit, 3rd gear might have been the wrong gear to try it at though, hence, the wheel slip.
I was just making an observation based on what I've read. Love your car!

From the BMW web site:

Transmission

TYPE
6-speed manual transmission

MANUAL GEAR RATIOS – I / II / III
4.11 / 2.32 / 1.54

MANUAL GEAR RATIOS – IV / V / VI / R
1.18 / 1.00 / 0.85 / 3.73

MANUAL GEAR RATIOS – FINAL DRIVE RATIO

TYPE
7-speed M Double Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic

AUTOMATIC GEAR RATIOS – I / II / III
4.81 / 2.59 / 1.70

AUTOMATIC GEAR RATIOS – IV / V / VI
1.28 / 1.00 / 0.84

AUTOMATIC GEAR RATIOS – VII / R
0.67 / 4.17

AUTOMATIC GEAR RATIOS – FINAL DRIVE RATIO
      12-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
Quote:
Which dyno did you run it on? From my experience in the tuning industry, different dynos also report different numbers as well, even being the same car/day. But, like you said, dynos are really only useful for relative comparisons. What can I say, I just wanted to have some fun . Odd, why I couldn't get the rolling mode activated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
I ran mine on a mustang also. It is fun and the cool/useful thing is you now have a baseline so you'll have an idea of the effect of any changes changes you make to the drivetrain, eg, intake, exhaust, tuning etc… as long as you run it in the same gear under similar conditions. Again, thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I was able to head in to the office today and grabbed a screenshot of my dyno pulls. (It says Dynojet on the graph, but I assure you, it's a Mustang dyno. Used to run a dynojet, but that broke and when we got the Mustang, we ported over much of our dyno calibration to the Mustang). I guess I reported my 2nd pull previously... Didn't realize the 3rd pull made slightly more power. So... I hope that dyno graph helps anyone who was curious!

Anyway, I asked my co-worker (Porsche calibrator) about doing the pull in 5th gear. He says although it's the 1:1, it is usually not the best gear to do dyno pulls in. It takes considerably longer for 5th gear to hit redline than 3rd or 4th gear. Due to the time difference, this will heatsoak more (even with a massive fan up front) than in a lower gear and will likely result in a lower power measurement. He also says that our dyno should read the same HP in every gear IF the car is actually making the same power (ie, no gear specific power tuning like boost per gear) due to our dyno calibration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2616.50
6speed_M23633.50
      12-09-2021, 11:17 PM   #8
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
When you said "heart breaker dyno" I immediately took out a deep sigh.

I get the premise of it, but sometimes they're just WRONG. That or they're made to tune cars that are 600+whp so the added resistance helps with the tuning process.

This dyno seems very accurate I would say. For reference, I dyno'd my E90 M3 on a "heart breaker" mustang dyno with FBO, tune and 100octane. It only made 320whp when that set up averages 370-380whp on any other dyno around. The difference should not have been that far apart so I'm glad this dyno isn't the same.

410-420whp is a nice number for a car that is technically detuned. I'm sure it could make more power comfortably, keeping a healthy AFR, intake air temps and a beautiful line up until redline without any struggle. I'd imagine BMW detunes it up top just for safety reasons.

My OG M2 with ethanol blend, FBO and stock turbo makes similar power but the graph does not look as clean as this. Perks of the S55.

Beautiful car! Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:19 PM   #9
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Anytime you dyno it should be in 5th. I know that to be true for the manual but I'd assume it's the same for the DCT. You'll get the most power and put the car under the proper testing to see how it performs in terms of heat soak (from what I believe)

My highest dyno numbers have always been in 5th and I've tested 4th gear as well. No point in me doing 3rd, the gear would end in 3-5 seconds.
Appreciate 0