BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F87 Harman Kardon

07-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #23
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Can you comment on how the sound quality improved? I'm interested in the amp only upgrade as well but you're the first I've seen who has done it with the stock HK speakers. All other people I've seen upgrade speakers to the Bavsound ones also
Overall the sound is cleaner. The highs and mids hit better, the bass is deeper and you can feel it in the seat of your pants more then the OEM HK amp. It is not a crazy dramatic upgrade and maybe I will do the speakers in the future but it is definitely a difference well worth it if you enjoy listening to music.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #24
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Quote:
Can you comment on how the sound quality improved? I'm interested in the amp only upgrade as well but you're the first I've seen who has done it with the stock HK speakers. All other people I've seen upgrade speakers to the Bavsound ones also
Overall the sound is cleaner. The highs and mids hit better, the bass is deeper and you can feel it in the seat of your pants more then the OEM HK amp. It is not a crazy dramatic upgrade and maybe I will do the speakers in the future but it is definitely a difference well worth it if you enjoy listening to music.
Thank you! The lack of bass is one of my complaints. Looks like an amp is on my wishlist now
Appreciate 1
twin fed1175.50
      07-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

couldn't wait and placed my order for a bavsound revenant amp. Since the M2 is my daily and I listen to music during my ride I want to be able to enjoy it better. A little bummed that I just found out they had a 15% off sale that ended on 6/30 though
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      07-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #26
saphire240
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition Manual/201

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldM2 View Post
Been quite unhappy with the speakers in my car. Compared to my previous 340i which also had Harman Kardon speakers the sound is much lower in my M2. On the 340i I could have the volume up to 40% and it would be pretty loud. In my M2 on the other hand I usually put it up to 50% and that would be like having it at 20-25% in my previous 340i. Ive asked some other people and for them the sound is pretty low on the M2 as well. To my question, how much can I safely turn the volume up to not overload and blast the speakers?
I am on your side 100% I came from a 2018 M3 comp pack with harmon kardon and it was so powerful and amazing. On the "step down" to the 2 series I have the volume almost all the way up for the same kind of power.
2017 m240i (sold)
2014 Scion FR-S (retired)
Appreciate 1
coldM250.50
      07-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #27
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Wow. Just turn it up until it is at the volume level you want. Why even look at the level? I coded that useless info off.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #28
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Wow. Just turn it up until it is at the volume level you want. Why even look at the level? I coded that useless info off.
I like the line or numerical indicator on audio systems (home theater or car) as typically over time you find an audio level that is comfortable for you and you set it there all the time. I don't like fiddling which is why automatic climate control is one of the greatest things in modern cars. Set it and forget it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update for anyone that is interested:

My BavSound Revenant amp came in today. I installed it immediately. Very quick and simple process; just tedious to take apart the clips in the trunk liner to access the amp.

My car had the factory HK system.
I am using BavSounds "orange" tune which they say is for their BavSound Speakers or if the car already has factory HK speakers.
The biggest difference that I noticed immediately was the clarity in music. I mostly listen to hip hop and EDM if that matters.
Secondarily, I noticed a pretty significant improvement in bass and that rumble feel under the seat which I never noticed before unless I really turned up the volume on the factory HK amp. Not exactly a night and day HUGE improvement but significant enough to where I am quite happy and maybe down the road I'll add the BavSound Ghost subwoofers (accurate description from twin fed ).

To sum it up, if I were to rate the factory HK amp + HK Speakers I would say it would be a 5/10. With the bavsound amp + HK speakers I would bump up that rating to a 7 maybe 7.5. Still need to listen to it some more but initial impressions make me happy

Last edited by nioh_lbbm2; 07-19-2019 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
Anthony1s755.50
AndrewC198910903.50
twin fed1175.50
      07-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #30
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Update for anyone that is interested:

My BavSound Revenant amp came in today. I installed it immediately. Very quick and simple process; just tedious to take apart the clips in the trunk liner to access the amp.

My car had the factory HK system.
I am using BavSounds "orange" tune which they say is for their BavSound Speakers or if the car already has factory HK speakers.
The biggest difference that I noticed immediately was the clarity in music. I mostly listen to hip hop and EDM if that matters.
Secondarily, I noticed a pretty significant improvement in bass and that rumble feel under the seat which I never noticed before unless I really turned up the volume on the factory HK amp. Not exactly a night and day HUGE improvement but significant enough to where I am quite happy and maybe down the road I'll add the BavSound Ghost subwoofers (accurate description from twin fed ).

To sum it up, if I were to rate the factory HK amp + HK Speakers I would say it would be a 5/10. With the bavsound amp + HK speakers I would bump up that rating to a 7 maybe 7.5. Still need to listen to it some more but initial impressions make me happy
Just a heads up, I've read if you're running a 3rd party amp (with an HK system at least) it will interfere with dealer reflashes:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1260271
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #31
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Just a heads up, I've read if you're running a 3rd party amp (with an HK system at least) it will interfere with dealer reflashes:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1260271
Thanks for the heads up! I have BM3 and an ASD bypass anyways
Appreciate 0