BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Valved exhaust question.

10-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
M2Rob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M2

Valved exhaust question.

I have a '18 lci. and I was told by te dealer that they didn't do valved exhausts anymore. Ok. When I see the M2C's with valved exhausts, I feel like I am the only one out here told that story. NOW, I climb under the car, and see that an actuator is mounted and wired, I wonder what is going on. Can I use that actuator to make my valved exhaust work?
      10-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

The valve is supposed to automatically open and close based on RPM's and/or driving mode. I could never tell when it would open and close on my car, but I ended up adding a valve controller so I can do it manually now.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rob View Post
I have a '18 lci. and I was told by te dealer that they didn't do valved exhausts anymore. Ok. When I see the M2C's with valved exhausts, I feel like I am the only one out here told that story. NOW, I climb under the car, and see that an actuator is mounted and wired, I wonder what is going on. Can I use that actuator to make my valved exhaust work?
Yes, you can use your stock actuator to make your valved exhaust work IF it is a compatible model. For example, the Dinan muffler section is designed to work with the stock actuator. But the Armytrix does not.

If you're talking about making a custom valved exhaust, then yes, you could theoretically do that. But making a custom valved exhaust would be extremely expensive, and would require a huge amount of time and probably several iterations to get the valve action correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
I ended up adding a valve controller so I can do it manually now.
You have a valve controller on your stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I do. I have the EVC by Macht Schnell. It lets me control when the valve is open instead of relying on the stock software. It installs with a few splices at the OBDII port in the driver's footwell.

I bought it when I ordered my full Dinan exhaust, but I'm still waiting on that to arrive. On the Dinan it will make a much bigger difference since having the valve open means a full 3.25" exhaust back, making for an incredibly aggressive startup.

Mostly, I want the freedom to 1. Have a quieter start with the Dinan system early in the morning or in parking garages 2. Have the ability to close the exhaust near cops and 3. Drive around with the valve open about 95% of the time instead of relying on the stock software deciding to close it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
I do. I have the EVC by Macht Schnell. It lets me control when the valve is open instead of relying on the stock software. It installs with a few splices at the OBDII port in the driver's footwell.

I bought it when I ordered my full Dinan exhaust, but I'm still waiting on that to arrive. On the Dinan it will make a much bigger difference since having the valve open means a full 3.25" exhaust back, making for an incredibly aggressive startup.

Mostly, I want the freedom to 1. Have a quieter start with the Dinan system early in the morning or in parking garages 2. Have the ability to close the exhaust near cops and 3. Drive around with the valve open about 95% of the time instead of relying on the stock software deciding to close it.
I hear you, sounds like a very good plan. I might have to look into one of those. Are you happy with yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I hear you, sounds like a very good plan. I might have to look into one of those. Are you happy with yours?
Not the guy you're replying to but I use this one having come from the Macht Schnell one and selling it for this instead:
https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-1...egory=36145080

Cleaner install and can pair with the rear-view mirror buttons for controlling the modes
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      10-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Not the guy you're replying to but I use this one having come from the Macht Schnell one and selling it for this instead:
https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-1...egory=36145080

Cleaner install and can pair with the rear-view mirror buttons for controlling the modes
Damn, that's awesome, thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm very happy with it, even on the stock exhaust. At idle, the only difference is tone, not volume. The exhaust sounds a little deeper and fuller then.

But once you get up in the RPM, it actually makes a pretty big difference in volume.

The Macht Schnell one was pretty pricey at around 400 bucks compared to most, but you don't need a separate controller for it like you get with the VSC-1, M-performance exhaust, or Armytrix exhaust.

It works of the BC button on the left stalk. Hold it for 2 secs to change from fully open to fully closed to stock.

One of the best features it has is programing out the ASD.

It also isn't detectable when he OBDII port is accessed, I don't know if that is the case for the VSC-1.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      10-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
Quote:
I'm very happy with it, even on the stock exhaust. At idle, the only difference is tone, not volume. The exhaust sounds a little deeper and fuller then.

But once you get up in the RPM, it actually makes a pretty big difference in volume.

The Macht Schnell one was pretty pricey at around 400 bucks compared to most, but you don't need a separate controller for it like you get with the VSC-1, M-performance exhaust, or Armytrix exhaust.

It works of the BC button on the left stalk. Hold it for 2 secs to change from fully open to fully closed to stock.

One of the best features it has is programing out the ASD.

It also isn't detectable when he OBDII port is accessed, I don't know if that is the case for the VSC-1.
Can you make the cold start quieter with it?
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #11
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you make the cold start quieter with it?
Yes, although on the stock system the difference isn't huge (but it is noticeable).

On the Dinan system I expect the difference to be huge. That full 3.25" exhaust all the way back to the cat is going to be super loud at startup if the valves are open.

I regularly use the valve control on startup if it's super early etc. I turn the car on just to ACC, use the BC button to close the valves, and then start the car.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      10-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
No, I have a REMUS exhaust and am running the VSC-1 controller with it.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50