BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

08-27-2019, 03:41 AM   #177
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

The only time this had happened to me in the past is when i would open up the valves beforr i had started thr car (to hear the big cold rumble startup), i noticed it would shut off after a few mins i got rolling

However, once i started opening up the valves after i had started rolling, ie in drive already, it never happens
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #178
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM240 View Post
Does anyone know how to pair a used Bluetooth remote with the MPE (already installed)? Just bought a lightly used M2 (unbelievable spec!) and bought a remote off someone on here and my local dealer was kind of clueless when I first asked about pairing it. I haven’t taken delivery yet as still waiting on title but very interested in getting my ducks in a row.
I’ve read you can reset ECU in trunk with a pen but not exactly sure how to pair
See here (MPE Pairing thread: see here):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
I lost connection to mine and from what I read online you have to press and hold the remote button for 15-20 seconds while holding it right next to the module in the trunk. Do this while the module is on. Worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Hold down the button for about 10-15 seconds close to the controller box in the trunk.
Should re-pair right up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Try this:
Replace the battery first on the bluetooth controller
then:
While the switch is off in the trunk, hold down the remote for roughly 5 seconds, continue holding it then flip the switch on in the trunk. after 5 seconds release the button...
Then: double press the remote and see what happens
And in case you did the 'MPE hack' (permanently open or closed valves: see here): no re-pairing required after plugging the grey plug back into the MPE module.
      09-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #179
Pitseleh
Registered
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

New here. Just purchased a 2017 M2 with MPE and the car didnt come with a controller. Purchased one from turner motorsport and followed directions in trunk. No lights come on with said controller so I figured it was a dead 3V. Nope. Went and bought a four pack and replaced the battery to no avail. Is there a reason no lights ever come on the controller or did I just buy a dud? Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #180
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I assume you are under warranty, so take it to the dealer and have them fix the problem. You should have no rattles and the valves should work per the remote.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:28 PM   #181
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Warranty is four years or 50,000 miles which ever comes first. You can get the in service date from Carfax. Also the production date is on the drivers door sill. The in service date will be at least two months after the production date (transportation, customs, and prep time).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:52 PM   #182
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I had the same problem. It's the MPE module in the trunk. Another user was helpful and posted the below info from someone at bmw. I emailed him and he wrote back right away. I then printed out the email and brought it to the dealer. It was a few days to fix the problem due to parts ordering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #183
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrhee7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I assume you are under warranty, so take it to the dealer and have them fix the problem. You should have no rattles and the valves should work per the remote.
Yeaaaa about that 😅
I actually purchased this 2016 M2 from a dealership as used about 4 months ago. It has around 37,000 miles on the odometer and I believe it's out of warranty (at least that's what they said when I called BMW)
Did you purchase it from a BMW dealership??
      07-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #184
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
I had the same problem. It's the MPE module in the trunk. Another user was helpful and posted the below info from someone at bmw. I emailed him and he wrote back right away. I then printed out the email and brought it to the dealer. It was a few days to fix the problem due to parts ordering.
Oh thank you! I'll definitely contact him. Would you happen to know where the white sticker is? I'm not sure where the "module" is.
It's in the trunk to the left side I believe. The white sticker has a big RA on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #185
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
No way......I think you just saved my pocket! 😭😭😭 I did not know that haha thank you so much!!! I'll give them a call Monday. Would it still work even if I was not the original owner who purchased it??
The warranty is 100% transferable.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:30 AM   #186
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Correct. My understanding it's the old one that needs to be replaced if it's a 15V which yours is.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #187
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Has anyone work out any other way to control the MPE valves besides using the BT controller?

I'm thinking of getting the MPE but seems like there's are quite a few issues with the BT controller! Has anyone worked out if it was a defect with earlier model of the exhaust / controller?

Also - is there a portion of MPE owners that have had next to zero issues with their BT controller or is it just a given they all play up (some more than others)?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #188
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Has anyone work out any other way to control the MPE valves besides using the BT controller?

I'm thinking of getting the MPE but seems like there's are quite a few issues with the BT controller! Has anyone worked out if it was a defect with earlier model of the exhaust / controller?

Also - is there a portion of MPE owners that have had next to zero issues with their BT controller or is it just a given they all play up (some more than others)?
All I can say is that in 2.5 years of owning the MPE I have not had an issue with the BT controller not working or the valves closing on their own.

The only "issue" I have is that the battery in the controller dies once a year for me. Which I attribute to leaving it in my car and the summer heat killing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #189
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

All I can say is that in 2.5 years of owning the MPE I have not had an issue with the BT controller not working or the valves closing on their own.

The only "issue" I have is that the battery in the controller dies once a year for me. Which I attribute to leaving it in my car and the summer heat killing it.
Thanks - that's good to hear that some like yourself have had no issues at all with the BT controller.
It has started to make me think it could have been a defective batch or possible improvements were made to a revised version (believe changes were made to the drainage and for the cold start rattle).

Do you know if you have a revised version of the exhaust? Ie did you ever have the cold start rattle or can you see you've now got the drainage hole in the muffler?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #190
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks - that's good to hear that some like yourself have had no issues at all with the BT controller.
It has started to make me think it could have been a defective batch or possible improvements were made to a revised version (believe changes were made to the drainage and for the cold start rattle).

Do you know if you have a revised version of the exhaust? Ie did you ever have the cold start rattle or can you see you've now got the drainage hole in the muffler?
I have the revised version. Had cold start rattle for the first 1-2 seconds of start up, but do not have it anymore. From what I recall, it went away on it's own after a few days.

The revised version has a different exhaust clamp that attaches to the stock section. People were saying that that helped get rid of cold start vibration. Other's have said welding the exhaust in solved it for them. Other said replacing the tips solved it for them... I don't believe BMW sells the same carbon tips anymore, so if it's the tips that cause it, it might not exist anymore because of that. I'm not even sure BMW still sells the MPE, I know it doesn't show up on their website.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 08-09-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #191
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

I have the revised version. Had cold start rattle for the first 1-2 seconds of start up, but do not have it anymore. From what I recall, it went away on it's own after a few days.

The revised version has a different exhaust clamp that attaches to the stock section. People were saying that that helped get rid of cold start vibration. Other's have said welding the exhaust in solved it for them. Other said replacing the tips solved it for them... I don't believe BMW sells the same carbon tips anymore, so if it's the tips that cause it, it might not exist anymore because of that. I'm not even sure BMW still sells the MPE, I know it doesn't show up on their website.
Ah cools - maybe the revised version has resolves the bugs like the BT issues which quite a few people here seem to experience.

My dealer here in Australia says they're still available to order but will need to be shipped in from overseas - maybe left over stock?
I'm looking to get a second hand exhaust - can't quite stomach the cost of the thing brand new. So here's hoping I can find the so called V2 updated MPE.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #192
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

It took me few weeks to train my fingers to slow double click the button, fast clicking doesn't work very well. But I never had the valves closing by themselves.

Currently thinking about taking the remote apart and installing it in the steering wheel controlled by the M2 button.

I also thought about some reverse engineering the controller box to see if shorting couple of pins would move the flaps. In that case it could be hardwired somewhere, maybe center console.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:14 AM   #193
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
It took me few weeks to train my fingers to slow double click the button, fast clicking doesn't work very well. But I never had the valves closing by themselves.

Currently thinking about taking the remote apart and installing it in the steering wheel controlled by the M2 button.

I also thought about some reverse engineering the controller box to see if shorting couple of pins would move the flaps. In that case it could be hardwired somewhere, maybe center console.
Great to hear - good to confirm there are some owners who haven't had issue with the valve closing on it's own.

Do you know if you've got the updated V2 version of the exhaust?

Very cool if you manage to hardwire a switch.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #194
FiveDirtyFive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 OG 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily View Post
Hi Guys, I bought a used MPE exhaust with harness and remote, I just have a question on the red cable that connects to the fuse box, does it come with a connector (to connect to the fuse box) or is it just a plain cable without any connector on it? I got it without the connector and Im wondering how do I need to connect it to the fuse box, thanks hope you can help me with this, by the way I was not able to find a DIY on connecting the harness. Thanks

Update: The connector in the red cable that connects to the fuse box was missing in my harness as it was used, however I use an add a circuit to tap the mini fuse and its now working
I'm having a very similar issue that you had, I don't think my module is recieving power since the LED is not turning on. Does the power come from the red cable connected to Fuse 15? I feel like my cable isn't making a good connection with the fuse. Can you explain how the add a circuit wiring resolved this for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 12:57 AM   #195
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
The only time this had happened to me in the past is when i would open up the valves beforr i had started thr car (to hear the big cold rumble startup), i noticed it would shut off after a few mins i got rolling

However, once i started opening up the valves after i had started rolling, ie in drive already, it never happens
Odd. I've exclusively opened the valves before starting the car since 2018, and open the valves that way every single time I drive (multiple times a day) and have never experience a single issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #196
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Very late to the M2 game and want to try my luck with this older post.

Got myself into a pre-owed OG M2 just before the pandemic. It was somewhat an okay deal as the car did come with MPE installed and some OEM carbon fiber exterior trims. I noticed right after ownership that the valve would close on me randomly. A little reading on the forums suggested that it might be due to weak Bluetooth connections. As I don't plan to use this function often and the MPE would be out of warranty as the time of purchase, I just struggled it off.

Being OCD with lots of stuff, this was always in the back of my mind. Now that I have more time, I am circling back trying to resolve the issue. I did more reading on the forums and it seems that most people who got the MPE new had dealer replaced the entire system and that would resolve the issue. That being not an option for me to start with, I also try to find some aftermarket solutions. One I noticed is the CG Precision VSC-1/VSC-2. Does another had experience with this on the N55 M2's with MPE? I am getting mixed signals where CG Precision themselves is leaving a comment saying the 1 valve controller version (VSC-1) is what the N55 M2 should use. However, I believe the MPE has 2 valve motors. And the VSC-2 seems to be designed for the M2C with the S55 and other M3 or M4 models (sharing similar muffler setup). I am worried that the VSC-2 will not be compatible with the N55 engine MPE.

My alternative solution is to replace the remote first and then the receiver module after if it is still not working properly. This would be my last resort as it is pricy and also the whole Bluetooth controller setup is not reliable IMO.
Appreciate 0