BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Installed a bunch of parts this weekend

10-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Installed a bunch of parts this weekend

I finally installed a bunch of parts that I had ordered that took awhile to get here. Below is the list of Items.

Turbosmart Dual port diverter valve
MST V2 Hybrid
FTP boost pipe
Wagner Evo II intercooler
Active Autowerke charge pipe

Sorry no install pics but somethings I thought I would share to those that want to DIY the install.

1. Before you decide you want to do this: I definitely recommend having a lift or Quickjack set up. I think it would have been super painful trying to do this on Jack stands. I raised and lowered the car multiple times from the first height setting to highest setting on the Quickjack working from above and below.

2. Turbosmart: Installing the diverter valve is not too bad if you remove the upper intake pipe. Once the pipe is removed there's plenty of room to go from above and get to the top bolt. I recommend a ball end hex key. You still can't see the bolt and going by feel but you have enough room to reach it with a small extension along with your hand and feel it slip in. As for the bottom 2 bolts I found it easier to use a super long extension and go through the radiator fan to get to the bolts straight on. Removing the water pump bolts and having it loose helps a lot. Tip on getting the top water pump bolt. If you have the upper intake pipe removed you can easily reach it from above with a long extension. Defiantly recommend doing the MST and Diverter at the same time. I had a harder time removing the PCV hose from the lower in take pipe than taking out and installing the diverter valve. I ended up removing the pipe with the PCV hose still attached.

3.MST V2: just follow the YouTube vids online. Pretty straight forward. TIp, use the 10mm nut providing by MST to connect to the turbo. The hose will not fit right with the stock 10mm nut.

4. FTP boost pipe: was a pain in the ass to get clipped in and coupling to the intercooler. Not sure if it was worth replacing but since everything else was being upgraded might as well. My tip for the boost pipe is to put the silicone coupler on the hard pipe and push it more than 2/3 the length of the coupler length. Attach the intercooler piece to the intercooler and then connect the two after you install the intercooler.

5.AA Charge pipe : I installed the upper portion first. Then installed the intercooler and connected the lower pipe afterwards.

6, Wagner IC: not much to say, but it's beefy, heavy and a tight fit. Still a manageable 1 man job.

Overall impression: I'm still stock tune but the butt Dyno is telling me the turbo seems to spool/breath a bit quicker/better and you can definitely hear it better. For those that are worried that the Turbosmart diverter might be too loud. I found it very subtle and not a head turner. Honestly the burbling and crackles from my Akra are a lot louder and draw more attention. Overall difficulty I would say is a 5 out of 10. But definitely set aside a weekend to do this. It took me a full day and a half to complete.

P.S. I did replace all the worm clamps with better Mishimoto T-bolt clamps. You need to get the 2.75" X 5 and 3.5" x1
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
///MPhatic13735.50
      10-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Any specific reason you went with the AA charge pipe instead of the one FTP includes?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Any specific reason you went with the AA charge pipe instead of the one FTP includes?
My GF got me the AA pipe as a gift along with the IC is the only reason. FTP is the only company I found that makes the boost pipe though. If AA made one I would probably have used a matching manufacture.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
My GF got me the AA pipe as a gift along with the IC is the only reason. FTP is the only company I found that makes the boost pipe though. If AA made one I would probably have used a matching manufacture.
Ah okay. That's the same reason I chose the FTP pipe, because they made both. But later learned the FTP isn't the most optimal for meth injection, because other pipes give a better distance to the throttle body to allow for better meth mixing before combustion. So I thought maybe you chose not to use it because you had plans for future meth injection.
Appreciate 1
tenkies147.00
      10-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Ah okay. That's the same reason I chose the FTP pipe, because they made both. But later learned the FTP isn't the most optimal for meth injection, because other pipes give a better distance to the throttle body to allow for better meth mixing before combustion. So I thought maybe you chose not to use it because you had plans for future meth injection.
Good to know if I decide to go the Meth route. As for now, probably looking to do a stage 1 tune and then go stage 2 when I upgrade fuel system. With the shitty gas in CA that might be sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
GeraldM2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Upper intake pipe being the turbo inlet pipe or boost pipe?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats on the new mods

Wagner EVO II is by far the lightest 6" intercooler, im surprised you think its heavy.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats on the new mods

Wagner EVO II is by far the lightest 6" intercooler, im surprised you think its heavy.
It's heavy when under the car and trying to fit it all by yourself
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post
Upper intake pipe being the turbo inlet pipe or boost pipe?
#1 below - just the intake top pipe the box with the filter can stay where it is

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
It's heavy when under the car and trying to fit it all by yourself

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0