BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Planning to go stage 2-tune. Is this all I need?

10-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #1
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Planning to go stage 2-tune. Is this all I need?

Hello, I have a 2016 bmw M2 stock with an M Performance exhaust and M performance Coilovers. I daily drive my car and never track it. Only occasional pulls here and there.

I heard some good things about BootMod3 Stage 2 93 octane. So I planned on getting an Active Autowerke catted downpipe, a Wagner EVO II Comp FMIC, FTP Charge pipe/Boost Pipe/Inlet Pipe, and Dinan intake to go with the stage 2 tune from BM3.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to performance upgrades so can anyone enlighten me on if this is all a good setup or if I need more things? Thank you!!

Also, since I'm sticking with my stock turbo, is it worth even upgrading the inlet pipe? And is an air intake even worth it? I'd like to save a little money if I can on parts lol

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:59 AM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Catted downpipe and intercooler are the only recommended upgrades needed. And I ran stg2 with the OEM downpipe for a number of months without my car blowing up.

Boost/charge pipe is recommended mainly because they're easier to install while swapping the intercooler. And the OEM plastic pipes can crack over time.

IIRC, turbo inlet pipe isn't easy to install, unless you swap the turbo too. Nor is it necessary for Stg2. I am Stg2 with stock inlet pipe and it's fine.

The OEM intake will also be fine. Though I have seen N55 dyno results showing gains of 5hp with an aftermarket intake. I have an aftermarket intake mainly because of the added turbo sounds, and the filter is cleanable.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:06 AM   #3
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I recommend a turbo inlet, see my MST inlet thread.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      10-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Hi OP, really nice mod list, add the inlet and you are set

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Stage 2 requires downpipe and intercooler, which you have planned

AA and Fabspeed are the only catted downpipe a with no cel, good choice

Evo 2 is overpriced and there are better options for IC - especially if it will see any track use.

FTP is a good price for a Chargepipe and it gets great reviews on fitment with different brands

FTP is NOT recommended for the inlet, it’s stock sized replacement and is a waste of money. MST’s V2 is the best choice, Pure Turbos inlet is a good second.

I would also consider a Turbosmart Diverter valve and maybe a drop in filter for the intake. There will be a comparison of Stock vs Dinan here soon, and you can decide if it’s worth it.

Good list, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
I recommend a turbo inlet, see my MST inlet thread.
Just looked through your thread. I had previously thought the inlet pipe didn't improve much unless you ran more boost along with a bigger turbo. You're seeing gains like that with stock tune and turbo, so I stand corrected.

My plan was to do the inlet pipe and DV along with a PS2 turbo, but now I'm thinking of doing them before a turbo swap. I guess theoretically I should see a bigger difference than you, since I'm stg2 tune running more boost. Meaning the OEM inlet should be even more of a bottleneck for me.

Your results also have me thinking maybe BM3 should add the inlet pipe as a supporting mod required for their tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

just make sure your fuel quality is good enough for stage 2 on 93. If not try the 91 map.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #8
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrhee7 View Post
Hello, I have a 2016 bmw M2 stock with an M Performance exhaust and M performance Coilovers. I daily drive my car and never track it. Only occasional pulls here and there.

I heard some good things about BootMod3 Stage 2 93 octane. So I planned on getting an Active Autowerke catted downpipe, a Wagner EVO II Comp FMIC, FTP Charge pipe/Boost Pipe/Inlet Pipe, and Dinan intake to go with the stage 2 tune from BM3.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to performance upgrades so can anyone enlighten me on if this is all a good setup or if I need more things? Thank you!!

Also, since I'm sticking with my stock turbo, is it worth even upgrading the inlet pipe? And is an air intake even worth it? I'd like to save a little money if I can on parts lol

Thanks!!
I'm going down the same path as you are, I'm going with:

AA Charge Pipe
Evo II
MST V2 inlet
FTP Boost Pipe (might as well since everything else is being upgraded)
TurboSmart Diverter upgrade

I'm already running the AA catted DP and Akra exhaust and a drop in filter in my stock intake box. Will be curious to see what kind of gains you get vs what I get with the shitty CA 91 octane.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
just make sure your fuel quality is good enough for stage 2 on 93. If not very the 91 map.
This. No mods matter if you gas is trash.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:

Thanks!!

List looks good. You should replace the FTP turbo inlet with the MST V2 or Pure turbo inlet like someone else had mentioned. Can probably drop the intake and see how you like the new sound with the catted downpipe - it will be different. You can always add the intake on later.

If you're 6spd, I recommend a new diverter valve and a CDV delete for an increase in drivability.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
just make sure your fuel quality is good enough for stage 2 on 93. If not try the 91 map.
Could you elaborate on this pls! I'm actually pretty amateur when it comes to mods so please inform me and teach me about the fuel thingy!! Do you mean I should be using quality fuel? Or do you mean upgrading fuel pump, fuel filter, etc? I use 93 at gas pumps all the time. Sorry if my question is dumb but I legit don't know 🤪
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Quote:

Thanks!!

List looks good. You should replace the FTP turbo inlet with the MST V2 or Pure turbo inlet like someone else had mentioned. Can probably drop the intake and see how you like the new sound with the catted downpipe - it will be different. You can always add the intake on later.

If you're 6spd, I recommend a new diverter valve and a CDV delete for an increase in drivability.
What is a CDV delete?? Also, since I have DCT transmission, should I not worry about CVD delete then?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
What is a CDV delete?? Also, since I have DCT transmission, should I not worry about CVD delete then?
CDV stands for clutch delay valve. Since you have a DCT, you don't have a clutch delay valve to delete.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #14
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Have the exact same mods except I went with a CSF FMIC. I also added the DV+ Diverter Valve.

Has been working great for me running BM3 Stage 2 93 octane tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Have the exact same mods except I went with a CSF FMIC. I also added the DV+ Diverter Valve.

The general consensus is that the CSF is a fantastic intercooler (superior time the Evo 2) but the Turbosmart DV is superior to the DV+

Do you have any logs to share?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #16
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:

The general consensus is that the CSF is a fantastic intercooler (superior time the Evo 2) but the Turbosmart DV is superior to the DV+

Do you have any logs to share?
Sorry, no logs that I've saved.

I'm dubious to any "concensus" that one is better than the other when I have yet to see a side by side comparison.

That being said, the DV+ was half the price of the turbosmart unit and readily available when I did my upgrades, so that's why I chose it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I'm dubious to any "concensus" that one is better than the other when I have yet to see a side by side comparison.

That being said, the DV+ was half the price of the turbosmart unit and readily available when I did my upgrades, so that's why I chose it.
So, I did see Pure Turbos posted this recently. I'm not sure what testing they're talking about. Haven't seen any data comparing the turbosmart to the dv+ from them... I haven't asked to see any either. Also not sure if it's part of a brand deal for them to promote the turbosmart. Though I have seen a lot of turbosmart collabrative marketing in the last 6 months or so, so it's possible it is part of a deal for Pure to promote it... But anyway, Pure now recommends the turbosmart product over the DV+.

Without data comparing the two, it really is us, the consumers, who lose out. Because going by word of mouth that the turbosmart is better really just ends up costing the consumer more money, since the turbosmart is more expensive. So, I rather the dv+ be the better/equal performing option. Though I've seen testimonials from people trying both that they feel an improved difference with the turbosmart.

Appreciate 1
detroitm22424.50
      10-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I respect you not taking everything I (or anyone else) says at face value.

In addition to the PureTurbos posts, there were these:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1692603&page=5

Last post on the thread, but it’s still a good read.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22424.50
      10-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #19
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Just looked through your thread. I had previously thought the inlet pipe didn't improve much unless you ran more boost along with a bigger turbo. You're seeing gains like that with stock tune and turbo, so I stand corrected.

My plan was to do the inlet pipe and DV along with a PS2 turbo, but now I'm thinking of doing them before a turbo swap. I guess theoretically I should see a bigger difference than you, since I'm stg2 tune running more boost. Meaning the OEM inlet should be even more of a bottleneck for me.

Your results also have me thinking maybe BM3 should add the inlet pipe as a supporting mod required for their tune.
Paradigm shift in response and turbo spin up tbh, do it whatever other mods you do to your car!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #20
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Could you elaborate on this pls! I'm actually pretty amateur when it comes to mods so please inform me and teach me about the fuel thingy!! Do you mean I should be using quality fuel? Or do you mean upgrading fuel pump, fuel filter, etc? I use 93 at gas pumps all the time. Sorry if my question is dumb but I legit don't know 🤪
To put it simply, an increase in octane (ACN91 -> 91 -> 93) allows for an increase in performance.

You'll have access to three main pump gas tunes for OTS Stage 2: ACN91 (Slowest), 91 (Medium), and 93 (Quickest). All three tunes will be quicker than the stock tune.

Each tune is calibrated to accept a specific bare minimum fuel octane level. If you're in Arizona, California, or Nevada (ACN), you'll only have access to low quality 91 octane fuel, which is why there is a ACN91 map for people who live in those states. The ACN91 map is the highest map that they can run. If they try to run the 91 or 93 map they will encounter issues (You want to avoid this).

Because you have access to 93 octane fuel, you in theory should be able to run the OTS Stage 2 93 Octane map. However, many people have access to low quality 93 octane fuel so you may still encounter issues when running the Stage 2 93 map (This is when data-logging comes into play). If you have sub-par 93 octane gas, you can take a step down and run the Stage 2 91 octane map, which will still be an increase over the stock tune and the ACN91 map.

Regarding this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
This. No mods matter if you gas is trash.
They are basically saying that fuel quality/octane will be your main bottleneck when it comes to performance. You can add all the hardware you want, but will never utilize them to their potential if your engine can't be tuned more aggressively. It's basically like getting all of these parts installed and not getting a tune - why have the parts in the first place if your stock components were handling intake air temps, boost, etc fine?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #21
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Since you are in FL, you should have access to Shell 93 which should be pretty decent gas. I think I read somewhere that the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 tunes was really only .5 or 1psi of boost so it isn't that major...and apparently the stock turbo is basically just pushing hot air at that point so it may not necessarily even be worth it. You can always reflash to stage 1 if you encounter any problems.

I am no expert but I've been trying to read every thread available on this car since I got mine 2 weeks ago and it sounds like our cars are really limited by the stock turbo and HPFP. It sounds like a full bolt on + stage 2 setup is realistically going to hit 380-390ish whp (correct me if Im wrong). If you're looking for any more than that you will need to go with either [or some combo of] liquid meth, ethanol, upgraded HPFP or a larger turbo

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #22
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
Since you are in FL, you should have access to Shell 93 which should be pretty decent gas. I think I read somewhere that the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 tunes was really only .5 or 1psi of boost so it isn't that major...and apparently the stock turbo is basically just pushing hot air at that point so it may not necessarily even be worth it. You can always reflash to stage 1 if you encounter any problems.

I am no expert but I've been trying to read every thread available on this car since I got mine 2 weeks ago and it sounds like our cars are really limited by the stock turbo and HPFP. It sounds like a full bolt on + stage 2 setup is realistically going to hit 380-390ish whp (correct me if Im wrong). If you're looking for any more than that you will need to go with either [or some combo of] liquid meth, ethanol, upgraded HPFP or a larger turbo
Correct.