BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DCT auto w/ catless dp and no secondary cats

11-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
methkingM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Anyone on here with an DCT TRANSMISSION and ZERO CATs downpipe/exhaust able to give their remarks or video footage regarding the 1-2k rpm rattle drone rasp issue?

I've tried:
- Catless dp + AA EL res & non-res midpipe (small and large res tried both) has a disgusting rasp scream @ 1-3k rpm (10/10 loud rasp)
- Catless dp + secondary cat delete sounds kinda rasp @ 1-2k rpm (4/10 loud rasp)
- Catless dp + stock exhaust sounds great but a bit quiet. (0/10 loud rasp)

Anyone with an aftermarket exhaust or custom resonator setup that was able to take this out while get the the added power?

UPDATE: PLEASE only comment if you have a full catless setup and have tested the 1-2.5k rpm range. Catted exhaust comments should not be made here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like you stole it

Probably has something to do with the way they welded where those secondary cats used to be. Try it with an aftermarket midpipe
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:07 AM   #3
methkingM2C
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsaneM View Post
Probably has something to do with the way they welded where those secondary cats used to be. Try it with an aftermarket midpipe
Na not cuz of a properly welded pipe lol. I ran AA EL non res and res (installed and troubleshooted by AA themselves, so no install to blame again).

AA Rasp sounded 2-3x louder. Instantly sold it. Also the rasp was from 1-3k rpm rather than 1-2k, and extremely loud… happened to my friend too… this a common issue with automatics sitting so low in the rpm range.

The stock exhaust with secondary cats removed sounded better than EL since the oem resonator box does a pretty good job at joining the pipes and quieting that crap.

Wondering if anyone has an exhaust resonator setup or tiny cat converter or exhaust geometry that got this solved right on the auto.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like you stole it

Did you ever try the AA single mid? I have AA single paired with Remus race no rasp or drone but I'm on stock downpipes, I plan on getting downpipes soon but it's gonna be catted

PS I'm also DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
methkingM2C
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsaneM View Post
Did you ever try the AA single mid? I have AA single paired with Remus race no rasp or drone but I'm on stock downpipes, I plan on getting downpipes soon but it's gonna be catted

PS I'm also DCT
No but the single mid removes all cats and resonators. I've heard a manual with single and catless dp which had some drone at 3k but manuals usually don't sit in the 1-2k rpm problematic range.

Need DCT folks with full catless setups to chat here. Most understand having atleast 1 cat per pipe won't have this issue.

Thanks for post.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #6
methkingM2C
Private
Rep

No one has DCT + full catless system that sounds good in lower rpm range!?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:10 AM   #7
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by methkingM2C View Post
I do, only way your gonna achieve no rasp is going resonated catless by arm motorsports.

Arm motorsports resonated catless
Single mid or equal length midpipe.
      12-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
methkingM2C
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by methkingM2C View Post
I do, only way your gonna achieve no rasp is going resonated catless by arm motorsports.

Arm motorsports resonated catless
Single mid or equal length midpipe.
I'm going full catless with high flow resonators replacing the secondary cat and the oem resonator box on stock exhaust. Gonna test that.
Appreciate 0