BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 2017 M2 Differential

11-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
lalaland7894
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT | 16 Lexus IS300

Unhappy 2017 M2 Differential

Hey guys - took my 2017 M2 into VT Motorworks out in Pleasanton for its 30k service and they mentioned there's quite a few metal flakes in my diff fluid. Basically, you can see the fluid moving when a magnet is held to it and in addition, when we used the stethoscope listener, you could hear a clicking from what sounds like / per VT is the ball bearing. This issue is accompanied by kind of a clicking / rattling / strained sound when I accelerate the car (which you can hear from inside the cabin). Has anyone had this issue before with their M2?

Per my search, people were talking about this issue in the thread linked below, but trying to find out if anyone has had issue this recently / what you did / how much it cost / if it is covered under recall?

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I don't really have any experience regarding this. But what I would do would be to get pricing for a rebuild, look at replacement units, and then go in to a dealership to inquire about the recall. I never dealt with recalls on my bmw but my previous cars I have, typically if you are years after the issued recall I really doubt that route would work, but worth a try I guess. Good luck!
Appreciate 0