M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Brake Rotor Lifespan

11-24-2021, 11:30 PM   #1
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

Brake Rotor Lifespan

Hello all,

I know this has been discussed but am looking for some more "up to date" info as it seems a few new brands of rotors have hit the market in the past year and have had some "test" hours put on them.

How many track days/ hours are you seeing on OEM rotors versus non? Only looking to hear from our friends still on the OG blue (or dark green) calipers as the larger 2NH have a bit more thermal capacity so I'd assume less prone to cracking. Interested in feedback from those running PFC or Ferrodo race pads. Please share which rotor you're running and pad.

My main question is whether or not it's worth upgrading to a more motorsport oriented rotor as the cost offset is 200-600 more. Obviously much prefer something like a Girodisc if the lifespan is similar per dollar. Not entirely interested in a true motorsport caliper (yet)

My car sees 10-12 track days per year, if that matters. Not super pumped on the annual rotor replacements but understand the pay to play.

Here's a fun pic of my last track day of the year where the pad material left the backing plate
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:46 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

If you're worried only about longevity and lifespan per $ then buy the OE rotors once from FCP euro and never have to pay again for replacements forever with their lifetime replacement warranty
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

My factory rotors are at day 20. Before the last track weekend I measured the thickness and they were worn down more that 50%, but besides webbing I did not see any cracks that concerned me enough to remove them. So I did another weekend, but carried a set of new spares just in case. May do another weekend on these and then replace them.

That being said, looking at the color of my calipers, I have been toying with the idea of getting a set of GiroDisc rotors for more volumetric efficiency and lower temps.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
If you're worried only about longevity and lifespan per $ then buy the OE rotors once from FCP euro and never have to pay again for replacements forever with their lifetime replacement warranty
Yup. This is what I plan on doing. Aftermarket rotors just do not seem worth it to me with the price factor from fcpeuro (free replacement).

The only exception to this is if I was upgrading to AP brakes or the like.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      11-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
nando_514
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

I agree with this.

For context, I've only owned an M2 for a year. However, I also average around 10ish track days per year, driving at Advanced/Instructor level

After only 8 total events so far, the OE rotors appear to have a good amount of life left. I guesstimate there's at least a handful of days left, if not more. I haven't run into any cracking issues, or rotor issues in general. They seem pretty robust and strong as they are! When I first bought the car, the first thing I did was replace the rotors with units from FCP Euro, knowing this thing will see a lot of track duty. Dollar$ to fun ratio is hard to beat when your only concern is fluid and pads. Sure, you'll have to go through the effort of shipping the old rotors back, but I think it's a good price to pay for not having to worry/care.

I'm not one to throw the parts cannon at my cars, but if I ever was to upgrade from the OE units, it would have to be for something substantial, like an AP Racing kit. Otherwise, I don't see the point in having to shell out money, when you can get ~80% of the performance for basically free lol
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      11-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

I think the oem rotors on the OG M2 are pretty good. Sure, aftermarkets may be even better, but I doubt it in- terms of cost per lifespan.

I've got 60+ days on my 2017 M2 and am, as of this past October, on my third set of rotors. I find that I get just about a year (or 10 - 15 events, each event about an hour of track time) on average out of my PFC 08s, assuming they don't crack due to heat, which has also happened. I like to swap out my rotors after every other pad change because I found that it is difficult to properly mate the rotor and pad surfaces by the third pad change. I get considerable shaking, which is not confidence inspiring. By this time, the rotors are pretty worn with considerable, but not yet connected, cracking.

Regarding my pace, which I think is a determining factor for consumables, I instruct with a number of clubs in the northeast, my calipers had turned dark green by the end of my first year of tracking, and my lap times are posted on this site.
      11-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I have a 2017 that has approximately 40 track days (6-8 events per year). Still using the original rotors. Very surprised of the robust nature of these rotors. For next year, I will be switching out the front rotors. I believe the pads are not seating properly on the rotors either after prolonged use.

This is while using pagid rs29 pads.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #8
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have thought about this as well. I always feel a bit strange doing that but suppose it is their policy and seems they're doing well as a business.

That said, likely they route I'll go
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #9
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya_45 View Post
I have a 2017 that has approximately 40 track days (6-8 events per year). Still using the original rotors. Very surprised of the robust nature of these rotors. For next year, I will be switching out the front rotors. I believe the pads are not seating properly on the rotors either after prolonged use.

This is while using pagid rs29 pads.
I think there's a difference between those who see "cracks" and replace versus those who realize these cracks are only on the surface. I'll run OEMs for the time being!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I always forget about fcp euro. I’ll get oem rotors from them for next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:36 AM   #11
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

If you're doing serious track days look into an AP Essex setup. Confidence inspiring and no mess or fuss. Worthy investment. Had them on my my M4 and now on my 2. Very happy