BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 763m Scam Warning and how to identify Replica rims

11-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
nixeighty6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2c

763m Scam Warning and how to identify Replica rims

I was recently sold 763m replica rims under deceptive pretext by an individual in/around the DC, Springfield Virginia area. He goes by Arthur Nwango and has a fake business called Revo Automotive. BUYERS BE WARNED. this guy also had them on eBay for somewhere around $2,400usd

So here are a couple ways to try to verify replicas from the real forged rims(or vice versa).

-It's easy to check weight with a standard house scale (barrow from you girlfriend, who is definitely weight conscious) forged weigh 21lbs.. replica are 24lbs. If your scale doesn't go that low, weigh yourself then again holding rim.
-the stamps in the back are the easiest "tell". factory forged 763m are 19x9 et29 , 19x10 et40. If it doesn't say that.. fake. The ones I was sold are 19x8.5 et34 , 19x9.5 et41.
-these replicas have a green " quality control" sticker near the valve stem hole. The factory ones should have a BMW bar code or other BMW qc sticker.
-the stamp "///M" on the real.. and The "M" on the reps are different. Both font, and the "///" isn't there.
- not all forged rims have the stamp. The ones on the ZED package definitely do not, but are real.
- these have cheaper center caps.. and the center caps don't have a BMW part number on them
- might be somewhat hard to tell if you don't know what your looking for but the back of the hub, where the rims mount to the rotor.. you can tell these are cast aluminum and not milled out of forged billets.

I'll update it I can see or come up with anything else.

This guy told a story of getting these off a CS and selling the cup 2's for a grand so didn't care about charging that much for the rims. I paid under 1500, which is a really awesome deal ,if true, but I personally bought BBS ci-r's at this good of a deal and that was a legit transaction, straight up and all good.. so I wasn't, well skeptical enough.

Hope this info helps people identify fakes. knock off are fine if what you care about is price per look.. but these Replicas are being sold as the real thing, and that's not cool at all. Also, these replicas DO NOT FIT THE M2 COMPETITION 2NH big brakes.

Best of luck

(Ps: helpfull comments only please.. no really, save your snarky comments for your mom)
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
VisualEcho6633.50
ChrisK4449.00
Rumbloki176.00
kenavt13.00
      11-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixeighty6 View Post
I paid under 1500, which is a really awesome deal ,if true...
This should have been a huge red flag. The 763M is the most popular wheel made for the F87, and being $3400ish (the price changes from time to time) new, they are always $2500+ used. $1400 new is literally impossible for 4 wheels.

Nice of you to write down your experience to help others tho.
Appreciate 2
IM2C2066.50
      11-19-2021, 08:48 PM   #3
nixeighty6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
This should have been a huge red flag. The 763M is the most popular wheel made for the F87, and being $3400ish (the price changes from time to time) new, they are always $2500+ used. $1400 new is literally impossible for 4 wheels.

Nice of you to write down your experience to help others tho.
I actually put this in here just for you..
Helpfull comments only please.. no really, save your snarky comments for your mom.

And of course you had to comment. Thanks for your 2 cents
Appreciate 5
      11-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
This is really simple - if the price is too good to be true, run. Problem averted.
      11-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I actually put this in here just for you..
Helpfull comments only please.. no really, save your snarky comments for your mom.

And of course you had to comment. Thanks for your 2 cents
I knew you put it there for me, so I had to reply.

If you think looking at the price of something/doing your research is snarky advice, well then more power to you.

This thread was only for you anyway, it'll get lost in a sea of threads in 2 days never to be seen again. But as I said, it was a nice thought.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

At least from a quick picture glance... it's hard to tell as they look near identical.

The upclose details however are very important. I ordered mine from BMW and they indeed cost $3500... and are somewhat hard to get these days as numerous dealers no longer ships these or they are on backorder.

I can also attest that they are super tight around the 2NH brakes... in fact even the OEM ones are within MMs off.
      11-22-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

All the M wheels seem to be, I would cringe to pay $4000 for wheels and have em get scratches by a rock in btw the caliper and rim. Poor design by bmw. Even my ec7s which have a good amount of clearance have the dreaded rock scratch (only 1 so far but a matter of time).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3awak3n View Post
All the M wheels seem to be, I would cringe to pay $4000 for wheels and have em get scratches by a rock in btw the caliper and rim. Poor design by bmw. Even my ec7s which have a good amount of clearance have the dreaded rock scratch (only 1 so far but a matter of time).
The 437M, 763M, and 788M were all designed for the blue brakes, not the 2NH brake package, so they will all score in time. The same is true of the $8400 FI-R (being designed much earlier, and for much smaller brakes).

The scores with the 437M, 763M, and 788M are all aesthetic issues, but since the FI-R has a barrel that's just 4mm thick, BBS recommends replacement of the wheel if the score is 1mm deep (ouch).

Like your EC7, My KL11 has plenty of room , and will not be scored by the 2NH.

The 2NH itself is a heavy, large, old design, and a BMW quick bandage, not a real BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
The 437M, 763M, and 788M were all designed for the blue brakes, not the 2NH brake package, so they will all score in time. The same is true of the $8400 FI-R (being designed much earlier, and for much smaller brakes).

The scores with the 437M, 763M, and 788M are all aesthetic issues, but since the FI-R has a barrel that's just 4mm thick, BBS recommends replacement of the wheel if the score is 1mm deep (ouch).

The 2NH itself is a heavy, large, old design, and a BMW quick bandage, not a real BBK.
I wonder if the richland forged Project Nürburg" (RF-GT4) clear the calipers any better.
      11-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
I was recently sold 763m replica rims under deceptive pretext by an individual in/around the DC, Springfield Virginia area. He goes by Arthur Nwango and has a fake business called Revo Automotive. BUYERS BE WARNED. this guy also had them on eBay for somewhere around $2,400usd

So here are a couple ways to try to verify replicas from the real forged rims(or vice versa).

-It's easy to check weight with a standard house scale (barrow from you girlfriend, who is definitely weight conscious) forged weigh 21lbs.. replica are 24lbs. If your scale doesn't go that low, weigh yourself then again holding rim.
-the stamps in the back are the easiest "tell". factory forged 763m are 19x9 et29 , 19x10 et40. If it doesn't say that.. fake. The ones I was sold are 19x8.5 et34 , 19x9.5 et41.
-these replicas have a green " quality control" sticker near the valve stem hole. The factory ones should have a BMW bar code or other BMW qc sticker.
-the stamp "///M" on the real.. and The "M" on the reps are different. Both font, and the "///" isn't there.
- not all forged rims have the stamp. The ones on the ZED package definitely do not, but are real.
- these have cheaper center caps.. and the center caps don't have a BMW part number on them
- might be somewhat hard to tell if you don't know what your looking for but the back of the hub, where the rims mount to the rotor.. you can tell these are cast aluminum and not milled out of forged billets.

I'll update it I can see or come up with anything else.

This guy told a story of getting these off a CS and selling the cup 2's for a grand so didn't care about charging that much for the rims. I paid under 1500, which is a really awesome deal ,if true, but I personally bought BBS ci-r's at this good of a deal and that was a legit transaction, straight up and all good.. so I wasn't, well skeptical enough.

Hope this info helps people identify fakes. knock off are fine if what you care about is price per look.. but these Replicas are being sold as the real thing, and that's not cool at all. Also, these replicas DO NOT FIT THE M2 COMPETITION 2NH big brakes.

Best of luck

(Ps: helpfull comments only please.. no really, save your snarky comments for your mom)
Well, his sales pitch is definitely fraud.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #11
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
If it's of any interest, the 437M barrel is no thicker than that (4 mm), possibly even thinner. My rear right once caught some piece of metal lying on the road, and it literally punctured both the tire AND the wheel barrel right through.

Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #12
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

I found the eBay listing

I found the eBay listing for these wheels by Revo Automotive.

The ad is a little misleading, insofar as it lists the brand as "BMW" but the ad states twice the wheels are in the "Style" of the 763M wheels.

The ad I found are the same wheels in the OP with the same improperly designed branding & I can clearly see the green inspection sticker in the pics, too.

No offense to the OP, as I'd be pissed off, too. But, and I mean this respectfully, I also am able to tell these are replicas just from the fake "M Performance" stamp & the fact the ad says "style". The too-good-to-be-true price would not sway me to think otherwise.

But, the real question is, do you feel like you got $2400 wheels. If they're forged, lightweight, meet industry specs & you like them, then it shouldn't matter. That fake OEM M Performance stamp - every BMW owner will know they're not real so no way I would fit those shoes on my car.

Then again, if these people faked the M Performance logo, they likely faked the industry standard stamps, too. I wouldn't trust those wheels and I'd return them. If he won't take them back with full refund, report it now to eBay & your payment method as fraud, which it is so you have a valid claim.

I reported the ad as deceptively selling replicas/fakes are authentic OEM branded wheels.
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #13
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Why is the 2NH old and a quick bandage?

The 2NH is made by Brembo and is based off their GTM series BBK
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #14
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
If it's of any interest, the 437M barrel is no thicker than that (4 mm), possibly even thinner. My rear right once caught some piece of metal lying on the road, and it literally punctured both the tire AND the wheel barrel right through.
I believe the 763M barrel thickness varies from one side to the other, and is thicker in the brake area, though I'm unable to find the link where I read that.

I also believe the process by which the FI-R is made is much more focused on lightness, so they give up some durability in certain areas, namely the barrel. I also know that the holes in the spokes, which most assume are there to cull additional weight, are actually there to strengthen the spoke, making the spoke very thick compared to a standard wheel of this design.

At any rate, I've never seen BMW recommend replacement of a 437, 763, or 788 for scores, but BBS is famous for it, especially with Porsche cars, as their calipers are an even closer fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Why is the 2NH old and a quick bandage?

The 2NH is made by Brembo and is based off their GTM series BBK
Clunky, heavy, hard to work with crap IMO. The Brembo's on my '05 STi were vastly superior.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 11-23-2021 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:53 AM   #15
nixeighty6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
No offense to the OP, as I'd be pissed off, too. But, and I mean this respectfully, I also am able to tell these are replicas just from the fake "M Performance" stamp & the fact the ad says "style".

Then again, if these people faked the M Performance logo, they likely faked the industry standard stamps, too. I wouldn't trust those wheels and I'd return them. If he won't take them back with full refund, report it now to eBay & your payment method as fraud, which it is so you have a valid claim.

I reported the ad as deceptively selling replicas/fakes are authentic OEM branded wheels.
I didn't buy off ebay.. tried and can't flag, unfortunate because he's goin to sell more sets, deceptively. thats why I'm trying to post and raise awareness (good that lots of people here have seen this post.)
didn't see on ebay till after, and definitely didn't paypal or a credit card.. tho I wish I did. No recourse as he immediately stopped replying to phone (blocked) and it was a cash, in person. sale.

I'm with you and don't take offense.. tho I'm a touch defensive. I did search these forums before "buying".. and didn't find any info or warnings on fake or replica 763M's, stamps or anything of the like. Kinda odd when people say they "can tell" after seeing what I posted.. but I can't find anything before my post. No offense

I wouldn't have bought these under informed voluntary consent.. which all transactions should be.. that said,, The guy i sold them to was stoked to get them for a grand and he had the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Well, his sales pitch is definitely fraud.
I talked to this deceptive "salesman" on the phone and in person.. and got played. In hindsight and with the clarity thereafter, you are absolutely right my friend. Definitely fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post

Wow, that's really something. Kinda cool that they are that strong and that thin. Unlucky strike aside
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #16
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I believe the 763M barrel thickness varies from one side to the other, and is thicker in the brake area, though I'm unable to find the link where I read that.

I also believe the process by which the FI-R is made is much more focused on lightness, so they give up some durability in certain areas, namely the barrel. I also know that the holes in the spokes, which most assume are there to cull additional weight, are actually there to strengthen the spoke, making the spoke very thick compared to a standard wheel of this design.

At any rate, I've never seen BMW recommend replacement of a 437, 763, or 788 for scores, but BBS is famous for it, especially with Porsche cars, as their calipers are an even closer fit.

Clunky, heavy, hard to work with crap IMO. The Brembo's on my '05 STi were vastly superior.
STi vs M2C on stock brakes? Different car...apple to orange. Put the STi Brembo on the M2C and see how it feels

2NH is great for trail braking, brake modulation is much more linear compared to the OG Blue and even on stock pads doesn't overheat as easily as OG under heavy use

Yes the 2NH is heavier cause it is physically much bigger. Even the front pads are twice the size of the OG pads.

With the Brembo GT|M, you have to pay 2.5 times the price of the 2NH and end up with a similar product. 2NH is a bargain for the money and in the US it is standard.
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #17
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
STi vs M2C on stock brakes? Different car...apple to orange. Put the STi Brembo on the M2C and see how it feels

2NH is great for trail braking, brake modulation is much more linear compared to the OG Blue and even on stock pads doesn't overheat as easily as OG under heavy use

Yes the 2NH is heavier cause it is physically much bigger. Even the front pads are twice the size of the OG pads.

With the Brembo GT|M, you have to pay 2.5 times the price of the 2NH and end up with a similar product. 2NH is a bargain for the money and in the US it is standard.
Keep talking, but the fact is that dollar for dollar most would choose AP Racing for real motorsports use. I'll end up with the 2NH because they're pretty, and that's my schtick, but would certainly choose something lighter and easier to work with if I were really racing the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:53 AM   #18
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Keep talking, but the fact is that dollar for dollar most would choose AP Racing for real motorsports use. I'll end up with the 2NH because they're pretty, and that's my schtick, but would certainly choose something lighter and easier to work with if I were really racing the car.
Honestly, please go and check the price on those AP racing brakes before you further comment on this topic

Saying something like 'I choose AP over 2NH' is a bit like saying to someone to go get the GT4 RS, stuff the M2C
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #19
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Honestly, please go and check the price on those AP racing brakes before you further comment on this topic

Saying something like 'I choose AP over 2NH' is a bit like saying to someone to go get the GT4 RS, stuff the M2C
I guess all the guys I know have deep pockets.

I'm glad AP Racing kit for my Lotus was only $5,500, it's supremely light, beautiful, and is more than enough/

Regardless, it's more race stuff, and racing this car is...yeah, not what I'd want to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:45 AM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
brake modulation is much more linear compared to the OG Blue
I mostly agree with you, but I don't know how you can feel they are linear in any way. The 2NH is by far the most overboosted brake pedal I have ever felt, especially when warm. It's so stupid I've thought about going aftermarket or downgrading to the blue brakes. I'm sure it works well on the track, but linear is not the word I would use for the way that pedal behaves.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:24 PM   #21
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I mostly agree with you, but I don't know how you can feel they are linear in any way. The 2NH is by far the most overboosted brake pedal I have ever felt, especially when warm. It's so stupid I've thought about going aftermarket or downgrading to the blue brakes. I'm sure it works well on the track, but linear is not the word I would use for the way that pedal behaves.
The Bluey will be more On/OFF than the 2NH. I and others have found the 2NH to be materially better in brake modulation during aggressive braking manoeuvre at high speed. I believe the overboosted brake pedal you felt was mostly due to the high initial bite of the OEM brake compound due to road safety reason. I see this as a pro at road legal speed. Under high speed braking, the overboosted phenomenon is not there.
Appreciate 2
AUSf222689.50
      12-03-2021, 01:25 AM   #22
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
The Bluey will be more On/OFF than the 2NH. I and others have found the 2NH to be materially better in brake modulation during aggressive braking manoeuvre at high speed. I believe the overboosted brake pedal you felt was mostly due to the high initial bite of the OEM brake compound due to road safety reason. I see this as a pro at road legal speed. Under high speed braking, the overboosted phenomenon is not there.
Agreed and I've used both the bluey and now the 2NH, when you are driving on the street the immediate response from the pedal is good.

I found on track also that the pedal travel was long and easy to modulate how much braking pressure you wanted to apply.
Appreciate 3
PHX102160.50
Karmic Man1996.00