BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > OPF Models Transmission flash (torque intervention from older models possible)

11-06-2021, 03:27 AM   #1
Toxinz
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

OPF Models Transmission flash (torque intervention from older models possible)

Hey everyone,

So after logging a fair bit of the shift logic on the S55 cars, we've realized that the OPF equipped models shift is designed in a different way - basically it has no real torque intervention hence excluding the "fart noise" (which I really don't care about) - but fat is the shift drags slightly because of it and all in all the whole shift procedure is actually slower and probably even slightly more stressful on the gearbox (especially on tuned cars with a lot more torque). Obviously this is all exclusively related to emissions and does nothing good to the car in any other way.

So my question is - has anyone used pre-opf shift software (if it's even compatible in some way) with the newer cars? I think it would make quite a difference.

For those interested: We have observed the exact same phenomenon on the DSG equipped cars from VW and it takes quite some effort to find all the tables in the ECUs to get the older version shifts working properly.

Cars in question are mostly 2019/2020 s55 engined cars I guess.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

All EU M2C's are OPF cars.

Other markets such as Americas and Asia-Pac may not have OPF's so ECU/TCU tables from a non OPF car may be what you're after.

Might be worth talking to an established tuner (ie PTF and MHD) who has a track record of mapping s55 ECU and DCT flash via same platform for both OPF and non OPF variants.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0