BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 FBO "psssshhhhhhh" sound under high boost

10-24-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 LCI

M2 FBO "psssshhhhhhh" sound under high boost

Hey all, I recently got the charge pipe, downpipe, spark plugs, radiator, intercooler, oil cooler, and trans cooler upgraded on my car. I noticed that when under high boost there's a "psssshhhhhh" noise coming from the engine. The best way I can describe it is like a vacuum cleaner noise, or a high pressure of water coming out of a hose. It's not a whistle or a hum, just straight "pssssshhhhh" (exactly how it sounds). Almost like the diverter valve is venting, but constantly. It only happens under nearly max boost, doesn't happen if I rev the car, so the car has to be under load.

For those of you that have this car and are running stage 2 tunes, do you notice this? Is this normal on these cars with my upgrades?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:50 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureNoodle View Post
Hey all, I recently got the charge pipe, downpipe, spark plugs, radiator, intercooler, oil cooler, and trans cooler upgraded on my car. I noticed that when under high boost there's a "psssshhhhhh" noise coming from the engine. The best way I can describe it is like a vacuum cleaner noise, or a high pressure of water coming out of a hose. It's not a whistle or a hum, just straight "pssssshhhhh" (exactly how it sounds). Almost like the diverter valve is venting, but constantly. It only happens under nearly max boost, doesn't happen if I rev the car, so the car has to be under load.

For those of you that have this car and are running stage 2 tunes, do you notice this? Is this normal on these cars with my upgrades?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have any data logs, and do you have any codes from an ISTA scan?

I am also going to assume you installed everything correctly - i.e. all o-rings were lubed and installed in the proper orientation on the charge pipe. The pipes were fully seated and the c-clips were fully seated as well. Then all couplers were tightened as well.

Also do you have an upgrade diverter valve?
      10-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
LLB-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (N55)

Interested in the solution too. Upgraded my Charge and Boostpipe, guess i have the same pssshhhhh under high load.
Which tool is the best to log the data, Bimmerlink? And which value should be logged?

Best regards Christian
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Are you guys sure it's not intake resonance noise?
      10-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB-M2 View Post
Interested in the solution too. Upgraded my Charge and Boostpipe, guess i have the same pssshhhhh under high load.
Which tool is the best to log the data, Bimmerlink? And which value should be logged?

Best regards Christian
Bimmer link should work, but I prefer mhd, ecutek, or bm3 logging.

Last edited by F87source; 10-25-2021 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Bimmer link should worl, but I order mhd, ecutek, or bme logging.
First things first, thank you so much for the response!

I actually have no logging tools apart from BM3. Total noob when it comes to the tuning world of BMW honestly. Can I log via Bootmod3? Any suggestions on what I should be logging? Also, how do I run an ISTA scan?

As for the parts, they were installed by a very well reputed shop that is known for cranking out high horsepower BMW’s (especially F chassis M cars). The specific parts are as follows:
CSF: Intercooler, Radiator, Oil Cooler, DCT Cooler
Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe
VRSF Downpipe
NGK Spark plugs

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #7
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Here is a link to the specific noise I’m talking about. You can hear it at 2500 RPM, but you might need the volume cranked.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
First things first, thank you so much for the response!

I actually have no logging tools apart from BM3. Total noob when it comes to the tuning world of BMW honestly. Can I log via Bootmod3? Any suggestions on what I should be logging? Also, how do I run an ISTA scan?

As for the parts, they were installed by a very well reputed shop that is known for cranking out high horsepower BMW’s (especially F chassis M cars). The specific parts are as follows:
CSF: Intercooler, Radiator, Oil Cooler, DCT Cooler
Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe
VRSF Downpipe
NGK Spark plugs

Thanks!
Yes BM3 is capable of logging, log all parameters if you don't know which ones to deselect. There are youtube videos telling you how to do this.

To do an ISTA scan you need ISTA, there are threads on the forum on how to get it.

You should also talk to your shop then, if they're reputable they would take care of any of your concerns.
      11-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
LLB-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (N55)

Do a test drive. This is a pull (not full in first gear) to around 120Kph. Overall length of measure was 25seconds. I am not a excel nerd, try my best to import/convert data from Bimmerlink:

What you are thinking, everything OK? I guess the "psshhhh" is a bit quieter since last time driving. Because of the 0,00bar and 0,17bar in Idle: I have a AK Motion Display and in IDLE it shows me setpoint 0,00bar, measure 0,00bar.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
My guy I see you posting everywhere
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #11
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
My guy I see you posting everywhere
LMFAO yoooo what’s up man. The car just sounded so different it spooked me hahah. But the car feels good and logs clean so I’m good
Appreciate 1
samsamdar580.00
      11-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #12
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB-M2 View Post
Do a test drive. This is a pull (not full in first gear) to around 120Kph. Overall length of measure was 25seconds. I am not a excel nerd, try my best to import/convert data from Bimmerlink:

What you are thinking, everything OK? I guess the "psshhhh" is a bit quieter since last time driving. Because of the 0,00bar and 0,17bar in Idle: I have a AK Motion Display and in IDLE it shows me setpoint 0,00bar, measure 0,00bar.
Just saw this @LBB. Thanks for the response. I'm going to log some stuff today and see what's up. It might be an intake issue. I need to find out what the boost target is for BM3 Stage 2 and I'm going to go log some stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #13
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Just saw this @LBB. Thanks for the response. I'm going to log some stuff today and see what's up. It might be an intake issue. I need to find out what the boost target is for BM3 Stage 2 and I'm going to go log some stuff.
16.7 PSI
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:57 PM   #14
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanÂ’s Brother View Post
Quote:
16.7 PSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanÂ’s Brother View Post
Quote:
16.7 PSI
Thank you! I logged the car and there is a boost leak. Wastegate duty cycle is maxed out but Im only making 14-15 PSI at the start of the pull and it drops to like 12-13 PSI at the end of the pull.

It is getting checked out on Monday
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #15
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman's Brother View Post
Quote:
16.7 PSI
Quote:
Quote:
16.7 PSI
Thank you! I logged the car and there is a boost leak. Wastegate duty cycle is maxed out but Im only making 14-15 PSI at the start of the pull and it drops to like 12-13 PSI at the end of the pull.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
16.7 PSI
Quote:
Quote:
16.7 PSI

UPDATE: Boost leak was at the charge pipe. It's now fixed and the car makes no turbo noise unless the windows are rolled down. It also feels way faster
Appreciate 0