BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Looking for MPE Valve Closing Issue Solutions

10-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Looking for MPE Valve Closing Issue Solutions

Got myself into a pre-owed OG M2 just before the pandemic. It was somewhat an okay deal as the car did come with MPE installed and some OEM carbon fiber exterior trims. I noticed right after ownership that the valve would close on me randomly. A little reading on the forums suggested that it might be due to weak Bluetooth connections. As I don't plan to use this function often and the MPE would be out of warranty as the time of purchase, I just struggled it off.

Being OCD with lots of stuff, this was always in the back of my mind. Now that I have more time, I am circling back trying to resolve the issue. I did more reading on the forums and it seems that most people who got the MPE new had dealer replaced the entire system and that would resolve the issue. That being not an option for me to start with, I also try to find some aftermarket solutions. One I noticed is the CG Precision VSC-1/VSC-2. Does another had experience with this on the N55 M2's with MPE? I am getting mixed signals where CG Precision themselves is leaving a comment saying the 1 valve controller version (VSC-1) is what the N55 M2 should use. However, I believe the MPE has 2 valve motors. And the VSC-2 seems to be designed for the M2C with the S55 and other M3 or M4 models (sharing similar muffler setup). I am worried that the VSC-2 will not be compatible with the N55 engine MPE.

My alternative solution is to replace the remote first and then the receiver module after if it is still not working properly. This would be my last resort as it is pricy and also the whole Bluetooth controller setup is not reliable IMO.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
Sungillest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2 ZL9 |Macan 2.9TT

I believe there is/was a recall for the receiver (bluetooth) module.

you want to make sure you have RA 17V GXX model.
Same thing happened to me when I got my OG M2.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 12:28 AM   #3
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
I'm not sure how to fix this but the post above seems to do the trick.

Out of curiosity, could you clarify on what you meant by it closes randomly?

For example my MPE will close if I stay stationary and let my car idle for over 2-3min. Other then that it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

I think ppl have mentioned this before , it could be mechanical issue, or it could be the way you are activating the bluetooth.

To avoid any complications, open the valves after you have started the car and put the it into gear.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
Sungillest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2 ZL9 |Macan 2.9TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post

For example my MPE will close if I stay stationary and let my car idle for over 2-3min. Other then that it works fine.
Mine did exact same thing. When I was sitting idle at red light, randomly it will closed the valves and I had to double click again to open them up which was so annoying...
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      11-15-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungillest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post

Mine did exact same thing. When I was sitting idle at red light, randomly it will closed the valves and I had to double click again to open them up which was so annoying...
I feel the struggle. Oddly enough at certain moments it'll take multiple minutes to do so and at other times it'll do it in a few seconds. It often takes a few minutes though versus a few seconds. It hasn't been bad enough for me to seek any fix for it.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2022, 12:19 AM   #7
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Finally, I have received my VSC-2 and installed it. Went on a 1 hour test run right after and the exhaust valves can now be controlled with full confidence. With the controller synced into the garage opener, it is a much cleaner look/option in my opinion - opening doesn't require finding the controler or losing a cut holder.

Last edited by ming_lau; 03-27-2022 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 08:00 PM   #8
Mped
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2 6MT

I have found a solution to the finicky Bluetooth controller that can work like the CG Precision or can be wired into the cabin to use a toggle switch or a fancy billet button.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=64

Mark

Last edited by Mped; 03-31-2022 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: fixed link
Appreciate 1