BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Startup issue

11-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
VCpowered
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M2

Hello,

Any news about this? Maf changing helped?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #24
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

New MAF in my car since yesterday, so I need to try start ups for a week to tell.

Altho, my mechanic doesn't think it's the MAF, as he said those were issues on older cars, but not newer ones like ours. He thinks it's just a product of any tunes and aftermarket downpipes we're running, as the O2 sensors are very sensitive on our cars.

I'll see how it goes this week.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #25
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCpowered View Post
Hello,

Any news about this? Maf changing helped?
I havent ordered a new MAF yet, but unplugging it has helped the symptoms, but not all. Every now and then, the car still hiccups upon startup. Definitely not as bad as it used to be though, so MAF is for sure being replaced. I'm thinking the injectors, fuel pump control module, or Pre-Cat O2 Sensor needs replacing because the car still has minor startup issues after unplugging MAF.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #26
VCpowered
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
New MAF in my car since yesterday, so I need to try start ups for a week to tell.

Altho, my mechanic doesn't think it's the MAF, as he said those were issues on older cars, but not newer ones like ours. He thinks it's just a product of any tunes and aftermarket downpipes we're running, as the O2 sensors are very sensitive on our cars.

I'll see how it goes this week.
Not my case because my downpipe is stock, I only run BM3, and now tested to put stock.

Tested the unplug Maf and that help a lot, minor fails but nothing like then. Is strange because you only need to give little gas on pedal to don’t let rpm go down.

Let see if new Maf get better.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      11-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #27
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I only have a handful of cold starts on the new MAF, but so far, so good. Need a few more weeks to know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #28
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So just giving an update. I believe we might have finally figured out what has been causing me these issues all this time.

We believe it's the gap on the spark plugs….I've been running plugs gapped at 0.021-0.022, and after reading posts from F87source about plugs and gaps, I think switching to stock will fix these issues. I even had a new shop check the car and they suspect it was my gapped plugs and recommend I go back to stock and not gap them so tight. They said 0.024-0.028 should be fine so I might just do stock 0.028.

Will update how it runs after I replace the plugs. If it does fix the issues, then HUGE thanks to F87source for the informative posts about plugs and gaps
Appreciate 1
F87source7233.50
      10-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrhee7 View Post
So just giving an update. I believe we might have finally figured out what has been causing me these issues all this time.

We believe it's the gap on the spark plugs….I've been running plugs gapped at 0.021-0.022, and after reading posts from F87source about plugs and gaps, I think switching to stock will fix these issues. I even had a new shop check the car and they suspect it was my gapped plugs and recommend I go back to stock and not gap them so tight. They said 0.024-0.028 should be fine so I might just do stock 0.028.

Will update how it runs after I replace the plugs. If it does fix the issues, then HUGE thanks to F87source for the informative posts about plugs and gaps
Hope you get it resolved!
      12-26-2022, 01:11 AM   #30
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Happy to say that changing the pre-cat o2 sensor has fixed majority of the symptoms! No more stalls or hard startups. Only issue left is at idle after cold starts, it has slight shakes and slight misfires.

I’m having the DP replaced with Active Autowerks newer version DP (seems their earlier model DP’s had some issues, and my tune was hiding any codes/CEL related to the catalytic converter, so that’s why I was never able to figure it out or catch the DP being aan issue). Will let you know if it cures remaining symptoms, but so far, glad to say the O2 sensor fixed majority of the problems I’ve been having!
Appreciate 2
F87source7233.50
shaneguags1170.00
      07-12-2023, 11:57 AM   #31
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:
So I previously thought replacing the O2 sensor & DP fixed the issues, but it actually didn’t.

I’m now happy to say though, that the culprit was the Dinan upgraded LPFP. The line that Dinan added to the OEM pump had a gash/burst on the line.
I decided to check the LPFP out after seeing a forum member post about experiencing the same thing with the Dinan pump.
After replacing it with the PR stage 2.5 pump, I have not had any missfires at WOT, and startups have been smooth! I also replaced the EKP with ET3’s high performance EKPM3 module, just in case.
Appreciate 1
F87source7233.50
      07-12-2023, 03:02 PM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Are you able to expand on the exact issue with the Dinan LPFP, or provide some links?

Curious about more info on this.
Appreciate 0