BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Looking for flat cornering on 21 M2C

08-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Looking for flat cornering on 21 M2C

I've had my M2 Comp for a little over eight months now. Given the pandemic and working from home I haven't driven it much. Only 1800 miles on it. I've been doing a lot of cosmetic and preventative type mods. I'm happy with the car with the exception of the suspension.

I don't track the car, but I do go out on drives with the local BMW CCA club for spirited road drives. I've always felt the stock suspension to be a bit nervous during spirited driving. Especially when there are undulations or bumps mid corner. Stock suspension doesn't give me that "glued to the road" feeling so I don't feel as comfortable and only drive 7/10th of my abilities.

Yesterday during another CCA outing I swapped cars with another member who has an OG M2 with Dinan coilover suspension and I was blown away. His car felt like it was on rails. Very planted and flat in the corners and I felt a lot more comfortable exploring those other 3/10th of the car.

Would adding Dinan coil over setup to a Competition result in similar driving feel? I'm less concerned about looks and lowering for stance than I am to feel more confident in the corners during spirited driving.

Since the Dinan set uses the stock struts is there any concern about the dampers failing prematurely due to the different spring rates?

Any advice from people that are running this setup on a Comp much appreciated.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
I've had my M2 Comp for a little over eight months now. Given the pandemic and working from home I haven't driven it much. Only 1800 miles on it. I've been doing a lot of cosmetic and preventative type mods. I'm happy with the car with the exception of the suspension.

I don't track the car, but I do go out on drives with the local BMW CCA club for spirited road drives. I've always felt the stock suspension to be a bit nervous during spirited driving. Especially when there are undulations or bumps mid corner. Stock suspension doesn't give me that "glued to the road" feeling so I don't feel as comfortable and only drive 7/10th of my abilities.

Yesterday during another CCA outing I swapped cars with another member who has an OG M2 with Dinan coilover suspension and I was blown away. His car felt like it was on rails. Very planted and flat in the corners and I felt a lot more comfortable exploring those other 3/10th of the car.

Would adding Dinan coil over setup to a Competition result in similar driving feel? I'm less concerned about looks and lowering for stance than I am to feel more confident in the corners during spirited driving.

Since the Dinan set uses the stock struts is there any concern about the dampers failing prematurely due to the different spring rates?

The Dinan height adjustable springs (+ neg camber) do help driving feel significantly compared to stock, but they still leave a lot to be desired over bumps compared to a higher-end coilover system like MCS or JRZ.

But yes you will love it compared to stock. Especially with -2 degrees of front camber.
Appreciate 1
marcw584.00
      08-02-2021, 03:29 AM   #3
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

I just installed this yesterday with Millway Street camber plates. Many people have used these successfully for track days. Not sure about durability yet, though. I would say a lot of that depends on usage and how low you set it.
It looks like the max lowering at front is about 15mm *with plates* so keep that in mind if you decide to go that route. The rears can be dumped way farther.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
I just installed this yesterday with Millway Street camber plates. Many people have used these successfully for track days. Not sure about durability yet, though. I would say a lot of that depends on usage and how low you set it.
It looks like the max lowering at front is about 15mm *with plates* so keep that in mind if you decide to go that route. The rears can be dumped way farther.
Did you install this yourself? The quotes I'm getting from an authorized Dinan dealer seem pretty high. $2850 for parts, install and alignment. Given that you can buy the set at getbmwparts for $1400 free shipping seems labor of $1450 for 9.2 book hours seems high.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
What you're feeling is mostly down to the lower center of gravity and the different rates of the Dinan springs vs stock.

The Dinan springs have been proven to be more nervous than the MPS, so my recommendation is the MPS at BMW's recommended height (595/600), and 1-2 clicks softer on all settings. The slightly softer settings will increase your roll just a bit, which gives the tire time to react better.

Tires, tire pressure, and alignment all play a role here as well, so I suggest you address them all.

And yes, ALL spring-only kits will shorten the life of your stock dampers, as they are now operating in a range they were not designed for.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 09-04-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 4
jdubm2c169.00
Got f1?681.00
FrozenGT1116.50
      08-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #6
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Did you install this yourself? The quotes I'm getting from an authorized Dinan dealer seem pretty high. $2850 for parts, install and alignment. Given that you can buy the set at getbmwparts for $1400 free shipping seems labor of $1450 for 9.2 book hours seems high.
Yes, that is a huge ripoff.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Yes I installed it myself.
I watched fark1e's videos on youtube about the plates and springs and took 2 months to get the tools to install properly.
It does take longer than a standard coilover swap because you have to knock the top hats off the front struts and install new parts onto them.
It does take some fiddling to get the heights correct - especially since I went with camber plates. I probably have about 12 hours into it and am pretty close to the ideal 5mm rake with 15mm lower in front and 10mm rear.

The limiting factor for max lowering is the front (with camber plates) so I'd set up the front to your desired height first, then the rears can be dropped however far you want.

Regarding measurement from bottom of rim lip to fender, measurements are as follows:

Front: 608mm (2mm more lowering possible)
Rear: 612 (25+mm more lowering possible)

In other words, if you're mechanically inclined, and have access to the tools, it might be something you want to tackle on a weekend.

I took it out for a windy road rip last night and it is night and day. Mind you this is before alignment and more negative camber from the plates (set at '0').

There is no longer the "lean then roll then turn" waiting game.

It is just "turn" and go.

Loving it so far!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:

Just my 2 cents:

1. There is a lot to be gained in the way the car feels and drives and the limits just by changing alignment.
If you know the stuff, go for it. If you don't, read up on it, or have a someone who knows what they are doing get the settings that might suit you better.

2. Get a decent set of adjustable (height, compression, rebound) coilovers.
If you know the stuff, go for whatever you desire. If you don't, go for M Performance because that way you get the basic/generic setup as meant by BMW which in any case is going to be better than the stock even if you just leave them as is. Then, if you need refinement, read up on the subject and adjust them to your liking, or have someone who knows what they are doing do it for you.

3. Coilovers + appropriate alignment.

Last edited by x233; 08-24-2021 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:11 AM   #9
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
What you're feeling is mostly down to the lower center of gravity and the vastly superior damping of the Dinan suspension vs the stock suspension.

The Dinan suspension has been proven to be more nervous than the MPS, so my recommendation is the MPS at BMW's recommended height (595/600), and 1-2 clicks softer on all settings. The slightly softer settings will increase your roll just a bit, which gives the tire time to react better.

Tires, tire pressure, and alignment all play a role here as well, so I suggest you address them all.
If he's only looking at the height adjustable Dinan kit, how would that have vastly superior damping given it uses the stock dampers?

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D190-8701
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:17 AM   #10
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I noticed a vast improvement in handling after fitting 763M wheels with Cup 2 tyres.

It's now my daily and I was planning on changing the Cup 2 tyres, but after 1500 miles driving on them they are staying firmly in place
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:13 AM   #11
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
What you're feeling is mostly down to the lower center of gravity and the vastly superior damping of the Dinan suspension vs the stock suspension.

The Dinan suspension has been proven to be more nervous than the MPS, so my recommendation is the MPS at BMW's recommended height (595/600), and 1-2 clicks softer on all settings. The slightly softer settings will increase your roll just a bit, which gives the tire time to react better.

If he's only looking at the height adjustable Dinan kit, how would that have vastly superior damping given it uses the stock dampers?

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D190-8701
I was mis-remembering. The original Dinan coil over kit was supposed to be a modified MPS, but apparently didn't make it to market, so it just became a bad HAS kit using the stock dampers. It's the MPS kit that has the vastly better damping and what I recommend.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Drew415
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Comp

Quote:

word on the street is Carbahn - Steve Dinan's new shop is coming out with a new coilover kit for M2Cs.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #13
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

Your comments very closely resemble my feelings on the stock M2C suspension and I too am looking for the suspension to be less nervous and more calm over bumps... sometimes it feels like a 747 mid corner... can be scary...
      08-25-2021, 05:02 PM   #14
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Better high speed dampening would definitely help calm the rear over bumps. Can definitely see an improvement here with some aftermarket setups. As a single adjustable the Ohlins R&T does a decent job - have them on my OG M2. One adjustment controls all the settings so really can't dial them in perfectly - but they still do a good job on the street & track and are easy to adjust. Might have to play with the spring rates to find what works for you with these. Decently quick around the track & still decent on the street.

I personally like having a little more control over the settings so going a different route this time on my new to me M2C. We are taking a stock car and doing a documented build to turn it into a very quick track car while still retaining full comfortability on the street & just using bolt ons. One of my local tracks is a bit on the rougher side - so I like having some control over the high speed adjustment as well even though some setups do a good job of it on there own. Keep in mind that each manufacturer has a pretty good idea of where to start with the settings so you are not completely thrown to the wolves with them.

I'm working right now to get a full plug & play setup together that I think will be an excellent street/track package. At home on the street but still sharp on the track or spirited drives. And something you won't have to make adjustments to in order to run wider wheels/tires, etc. Going to be running this setup on the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #15
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

I'm also a member of BMW CCA also part of our M Group as well. I have 2020 M2C with MPERFORMANCE Suspension- best upgrade I made. Took the stock off at 500 miles.

Everything was set to BMW recommended settings- the feels so glued to the road very connected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MVista311.50
x233284.00
      08-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #16
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I'm also a member of BMW CCA also part of our M Group as well. I have 2020 M2C with MPERFORMANCE Suspension- best upgrade I made. Took the stock off at 500 miles.

Everything was set to BMW recommended settings- the feels so glued to the road very connected.
It may just be the low angle that the pictures are taken from, but it looks like the ride height is close to stock. Is this due to the size of the counter-mobility berms (aka 'driveways') found where you are?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #17
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post

It may just be the low angle that the pictures are taken from, but it looks like the ride height is close to stock. Is this due to the size of the counter-mobility berms (aka 'driveways') found where you are?
Haha :-) BMW MPS is 24-25mm drop. That's the max.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #18
MVista
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp.

Garage List
I felt the same about the stock suspension, kinda sketchy when pushed. I recently installed Ohlins R&T, corner balanced and aligned. Ride height set to about F-593mm R-597mm. Still playing around with the compression/rebound settings for street/canyon set up, I'm not tracking this car. These coilovers help keep the car a lot more flat and planted vs stock, running 90/190 spring rates. Running the factory MPSS tires they break free quite easily and give a lot of feedback and feel very predictable. Overall I love the Ohlins R&T and feel it's well worth the money, single best improvement you can make. Having run KW V3's in the past on other cars and Ohlins R&T, I feel the Ohlins are worth the extra coin, but you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by MVista; 08-26-2021 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 2
FrozenGT1116.50